AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The release date for this has been moved no less than 3 times already. Now I hear rumors 2004, Q4. I just don't get it, they rushed to get DS9 at warp speed, really fast. Star Trek NG was released at a reasonable rate once they started.

The times between series end and release got shorter.

Is Paramount just milking everything they can out of the older series?

I mean for heavens sake the current Star Trek Enterprise is in its second season.

This is getting a little ridiculous.

There were so many more detailed graphics in Voyager. I am also HOPING they do a much better mastering job that they did on ST NG and DS9. On Next Gen especially I could see film grain ALOT. Its too bad HD DVD is so far off.

Feedback?

Whats your favorite Star Trek Series?

Original?

Next Generation

Deep Space 9

Voyager

Enterprise

By the way Enterprise went to HDTV this season. Anyone seen any of the others in HDTV yet?

Opinions/info on the dvd transfers made of DS9 and Next Gen?

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
This is a hard call. The Orginal is a classic of course and a head of its time when it aired.

Next Generation: had a great actor, at the helm.

Deep Space Nine: had the Jemidar(sp) which I think are still the best enemy to date that they had to deal with.

Voyager: had 7 of 9 and when she was on it was hard to take your eyes of that suit :)

Enterprise: I really like it, just don't get a chance to see it because of it's air time. Need a Tivo.....

Next Generations/Enterprise is a Tie for me.

Also, I would love to see there pricing come down and be around $59.99 or $69.99 for one season, I would buy all of them then, but over a $100 bucks for a season it is going to take me a long time before I will consider buying DS9 or any others. Hell I am still working on TNG..... I need Seasons 5 - 7 to complete it.. Anyplace online where I can buy these cheap?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Next Generation - hands down! Best actors, most thought provoking stories, and spawned the best movies.

htomei

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
The original had the best cast chemistry. I don't think the humor or interaction between the main characters (Scotty,Bones,Spock and Kirk) was ever equaled. Unlike htomei22, I believe the original spawned the best movies. However, I would choose Next Generation as the best series because of the quality of the scripts. There are at least 15 NG's that are among my favorite science fiction episodes ever broadcast on TV.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I also think that the original series spawned the best films but as a series I like NG best. I also like DS9 for it's soap opera aspect. I don't like Voyager. I'm somewhat amused by Enterprise but I think there's too many mediocre episodes.

I don't want Voyager or Enterprise on home video...I could change my mind about Enterprise...? I'm close to Treked out at this point.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
DS9, followed by Voyager. Of course, the original series first. The real question for me is: when are they gonna put DS9 or Voyager on the big screen? The franchise is hurting (Rick Berman). Time for some new blood.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with you the franchise is hurting VERY badly. When I read about how badly Enterprise was doing in season 1 and how they planned to go in whole new direction this year I was not surprised. Damage control for sure.

Many feel the choice for the current Captain is the problem. Likeable enough guy, just bland and boring, especially the facial expressions.

Many have said he just is not interesting person though I had to say anything bad about Star Trek since I like it so much and he was good in other series.

Although the gratuitous skin shown by T Paul is nice :) Though it seems every episode she is half naked in her pajamas sitting on that one crewmembers naked back. Certainly not the Star Trek we all remember.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Although a have a soft spot for TOS, I have to go with DS9, then TNG, then TOS. Never got into Voyager, and I just can't make it past that godawful theme song for Enterprise. :eek:

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I agree that Scott Bakula doesn't work as captain of the Enterprise. However, I don't think he's the major problem. The scripts are medicore, at best, and the cast chemistry doesn't work.

I was looking forward to this season. I had read that the producers considered many suggestions from the viewers and that the new season would be much improved. I was also told that UPN would broadcast the episodes in HD. So far no HD broadcasts. It could still happen since I believe all are filmed with the intent of tranfer to HD tape. I don't see the improvements. I thought they would totally abandon that lame theme song, not just retool it. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting, my local UPN station broadcasts both Voyager (on the occaisional weekend rerun &*^#$#) and Enterprise.

Must be converted.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
I give TNG from season 3 on a slight edge over TOS for the great writing and good (occasionally great) cast. I still prefer the interaction of Kirk-Bones-Spock though over anything achieved in any of the other series.

DS9 was actually a very good show too once it got rolling and the continuing storyline was compelling. Frankly, Voyager and everything since has been unwatchable cr*p.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Our menu:

Ham and cheese on wry - The Original Series (delicious)

French onion soup with croutons - NextGen (very good, but overstays it's welcome and yet makes you hungry for less negotiation and more phasers)

Buffet - DS9 (a course that evolves, and has story arcs! If only I wasn't full from the sandwich and soup combo above. Also, the buffet choices are limited and the cooking is subpar)

Spaghetti and meatballs - Voyager (hmmm... tastes... like.. chef boyardee)

and for dessert:

Cookie dough, right out of the tube - Enterprise (are they even trying anymore?)

·
Registered
17,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Garman
Also, I would love to see there pricing come down and be around $59.99 or $69.99 for one season, I would buy all of them then, but over a $100 bucks for a season it is going to take me a long time before I will consider buying DS9 or any others. Hell I am still working on TNG..... I need Seasons 5 - 7 to complete it.. Anyplace online where I can buy these cheap?
That's the only thing stopping me from buying in. That's a lot of dough for one season. I can buy two seasons of most other shows for that (or an entire series in the case of some that were pulled before their time). $69.99 would start me buying, $59.99 would get me collecting. For now, I'll stick to the re-runs on TV.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Great analysis! I personally would modify it as follows:

Quote:
Originally posted by moore
Our menu:

French onion soup with croutons - NextGen (very good, but overstays it's welcome and yet makes you hungry for less negotiation and more phasers)
I would upgrade TNG to a full French meal. It looks strange and vaguely wimpy at first, but in the end proves very satisfying and becomes a regular habit
Quote:
and for dessert:

Cookie dough, right out of the tube - Enterprise (are they even trying anymore?)
Cookie dough is a terrific guilty treat. I would liken Enterprise to cat food straight from the can. :D

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
ZZtop: I think Scott Bakula is a decent actor, but he ships captain needs more balls. I think they should vaporize him and put Steaven Segal as the new Captain, so he can kick some ass...... hahahahah lol Just kidding..... They need a very good enemy like the Jemidar to spice things up, and maybe some sex scences with the Vulcan ;) I do like the show, but it needs more advertising to get the word out when it is on etc... A new begining to the show will help, that lame song at the begining isn't very good. The Orginal/NG/DS9 all had good beginings. Frankly one of the best Sci-Fi shows that was on TV as of late got canceled....... Ironic it won several Saturn awards and then they cancell it. That show being "FARSCAPE"

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Garman
Frankly one of the best Sci-Fi shows that was on TV as of late got canceled....... Ironic it won several Saturn awards and then they cancell it. That show being "FARSCAPE"
Hear hear! I really think Farscape was the best sci-fi ever put on TV.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FredProgGH
Great analysis! I personally would modify it as follows:

I would upgrade TNG to a full French meal. It looks strange and vaguely wimpy at first, but in the end proves very satisfying and becomes a regular habit

Cookie dough is a terrific guilty treat. I would liken Enterprise to cat food straight from the can. :D
Good points. I was thinking of the layer of more sophisticated cheese on the soup. Cookie dough - guilty treat alright, but it tends to make me kinda nauseous afterwards. You're right that it's too kind of a choice.

I have to admit I only saw 2-3 shows from the first season of Enterprise. It would have been MUCH less than that if not for the hot vulcan chick and the blatant 'decontamination' scenes. Bakula's hick shtick and the beagle pups simply caused too many forehead slaps (and I have a beagle).

7 of 9 was the main reason I kept watching Voyager way past the point where the plots, script, and Janeway's personality became repugnant. Hmmm... imagine Jeri Ryan in one of those barely-covering-the-butt outfits from TOS.

Also agree about other good shows being canceled. I was all about Dark Angel; Fox moved it to friday, replaced it with crap and then cancelled that too.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Favorite? There's really no way to compare TOS and TNG. TNG has more good episodes, but many more bad episodes as well. When TOS was bad, it's in a trippy 60's kind of way. When TNG is bad, it's is a painful preachy kind of way. Advantage, TOS.

Put those two on top, with DS9 the next rung down.

Then put in a whole lot of empty space. Many, many rungs.

Then put in the travesity that is Voyager.

When's Voyager coming out on DVD? At $100+ a pop, who cares? Heck, you could put them at $10 a pop and not get interest out of me.

Sadly, I'm sure we will get Voyager on DVD someday, but no TAS :(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.