AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it has to be an item that you have had the longest in your setup.

mine is my RCA VR622HF vcr. its a 4-head hifi stereo vcr with vcr+, i have had it for 5 years and paid $150 for it

· Registered
1,280 Posts
I have a 1968 Fender VibroChamp guitar amp ;)

Aside from that....ummmm, a 1992 RCA Home Theater Series Laserdisc player (retailed at $750)...purchased for $15 at a brick and mortar auction. Unit was a store demo with price tag still attached.

· Registered
27,728 Posts
Meridian 565 and 562V - 7 years old. DD and DTS and still sounding premium.

Citation speaker & amp system: Also, 7 years.

Good investments. Both still sound very nice. No need to upgrade 'til a major break through in audio and movie sound.

Grant you my room is movies only, no audiophile stuff. (That's the next project).

· Registered
1,003 Posts
Main speakers-PhaseTech pc60 about 15yrs old...and still sounding great!!!

· Registered
468 Posts
I have an SAE 2200 power amp driving my rear surrounds. It is over 20 years old. I also have the preamp I bought at the same time in my bar system.

· Registered
24,036 Posts
Toshiba Hi-Fi VCR - 1984 -

Pioneer LaserDisc player - 1988 -

Both still works great!

BTW... my son is still using my Dynaco SE-10 equalizer that I put together from a kit in 1978!

· Registered
475 Posts
JBL components (130A, LE175/HL-91, 075, N1200, N7000) in L200 cabinets from the '60s. They don't make 'em like that any more and haven't in many, many years. Also have a Sony 3-head cassette, Sony turn-table, and SAE parametric eq (now used for the subs), all about 20 years old. And, still have a JVC CD-4 quad unit in bedroom connected to JBL L112s for listening to FM.

· Registered
529 Posts
My B-channel speakers off my Onkyo receiver are my old original Smaller Advent loudspeakers, purchased in 1973. So 30 yrs old now. I had to have the woofers reconed about 10 years ago due to rubber rot. I have them set up in my bedroom to feed music from CDs, radio, etc to the room. My HT stuff is all in my L.R.

· Registered
3,729 Posts
Erm... its when questions like this are asked that you realise how often you upgrade...

The oldest 'componant' in my HT right now is the screen - that was purchased in Q2 2001. Since then I've updated pretty much all the video, processing, audio and speakers... Oh and the furniture and the room...

Thought! I guess *I* am the oldest componant!

- Rick

· Registered
3,161 Posts
Empire 589III Troubador Turntable from 1976. Still sounds great!

A Denon CD player from 1986.

A Hitachi HiFi VHS from 1993.

· Registered
1,119 Posts
My home built speakers from 1987 are my mains (Next in line to be upgraded)

My Sony 4 head HiFi VCR from 1990?

Sony 100w Prologic Receiver from circa 1991 (using as secondary amplifier for multiroom, soon to be used for 3 channel prologic receiver for my L-C-R rears).

· Registered
5,978 Posts
I have a CD player from 1984 :eek: but don't use it anymore. Well, it's connected to a system, I just never turn that system on. :) Amazingly, that CD player is the oldest thing I have.

· Registered
1,031 Posts
Oh boy, this is where I get to "jump into the fray" screaming "Odin has you all!"

You know Methos from the Highlander TV series, the oldest immortal of them all, so old that nobody even KNEW how old he was, not even him?

That is like my receiver. I got it in 1998 from a retired neighbor who was selling a bunch of her house's stuff before moving to a nursing home. It's from the now-defunct MCS (Modular Component Systems) line by JC Penny. Its top and sides have a false wood grain. On its silver front panel, which has some kind of fine-grain texturing as if it had been brushed left-to-right while heated to softness, there are a power button, 7 knobs with gear-like teeth and grooves all around their circumferences, and 6 half-inch-long switches. Next to the knob-controlled analog radio tuner display with the little vertical needle that physically slides across in front of it, there are two other little gages, also analog, whose needles swing as you tune and are supposed to line up vertically in the middle when you've got it tuned as well as it can be. Instead of any kind of bass booster/enhancer, this this has a "low filter". Other on/off toggle functions controlled by these switches include a "scratch filter", a "muting" (which doesn't seem to do anything), a "loudness", and something called a "tape monitor", which I guess means that back then tape recording had to be done with separate source and target machines hooked up through something like this for some reason beyond me.(?) There are also separate inputs and outputs on the back of this thing for the tape monitor/recorder process, which I don't know how to use.

Speaking of its inputs and outputs... along with its stereo RCA jacks there is another kind of jack, consisting of a little screwbolt with walls on each side of it. The wires it came with had weird little split claw-like tips that slide into these slots and around the screwbolts, which you would then tighten to hold the wires in place. When I had to replace the speaker wires, this forced me to bend the exposed wire tips back into J-hooks to get them around the screwbolts.

Obviously, it predates remote controls of any and all kinds. But it appears not to entirely predate surround sound. One of the knobs sets it to use either the quarter-inch headphone jack, or speakers A (front), or speakers B (rear), or A and B, or something called "matrix". Since it's separate from the setting that would just use A and B at the same time (presumably in plain stereo) and there are only two sets of speaker wire jacks, I'd guess "matrix" must refer to some kind of 4.0 surround sound scheme I've never heard of anywhere else. (I haven't tried it yet, though.)

Is there any value in electronic antiques?

· Registered
9,232 Posts
My Hafler power amps! I have two DH220's, and one DH120 all 1984 vintage. I also have two newer 1990's SE120's.

To me, these units are timeless. I'll gladly keep them another 20 years!

We are talking HT here? If not I have my audio only system with Dynaco MK4 tube amps circa 1960! But these were rebuilt last year with many new components and of course new tubes so they really don't count.

· Registered
3,447 Posts
My oldest component is my tv, which will be 2 years old next month.

· Registered
931 Posts
My oldest is a Technics direct drive turn table, SL-QD22. I don't know much about it except that it my father's and I have it now. I don't even know how old it is.

· Registered
828 Posts
what is the oldest components i have

technics sa-ex700class h t amp

kx-w597 double cassete deck

2 sets of earth quake speakers

kv-27s 20 sony trinitron

set of technics 1200's turntables

hmm i am sure i have more some where::rolleyes: :D

· Registered
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kweezr
Main speakers-PhaseTech pc60 about 15yrs old...and still sounding great!!!
Up until last week I was using five Dynaco A25 speakers that were made in the early 70's. I replaced them with PMC TB2 monitors. The Dynaco's are now in the classifieds :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.