AVS Forum banner

What is your screen aspect ratio (aka are you CIW or CIH)?

• 2.35/2.37/2.40 :1 (i.e. CIH)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other (e.g. 2.0 CIA)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer /forum/post/16916546

I can't vote in the poll because I have -

A 106" wide 16:9 electric screen, and

A 118" wide 2.35:1 electric screen !

I'm neither CIW or CIH. What am I then - crazy?

What you have is closer to CIA than CIW or CIH, so it's definitely option 3.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
Though I voted CIA, mine is and xtra large screen (for my room) with automated masking to allow for a variable image size. Doesn't really fit into any category I guess.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer /forum/post/16916546

I can't vote in the poll because I have -

A 106" wide 16:9 electric screen, and

A 118" wide 2.35:1 electric screen !

I'm neither CIW or CIH. What am I then - crazy?

I can't answer the crazy part
but option 3 means anything that's not CIW or CIH; could be a 2.0 CIA or multiple screens or even 4:3.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Formerly 1.78, now 2.40 (and loving it.)

·
Registered
773 Posts
16:9 here, but not constant widthI still watch some 4:3 content on it from time-to-time.

Here, that gives the biggest image. The sides of the screen are less than half an inch off the sides of the wall. If I had gone for constant height (which I would have loved) I'd have smaller 16:9/4:3 images.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Newcomb /forum/post/16925607

Formerly 1.33, now 1.78. I'm a big screen fan (not a widescreen fan). It's bad enough that we have to give up one dimension, why handicap height?

If you're a true CIH you DON'T handicap height.
If fact YOU are handicapping height on all 2.35 films on your 1.78 screen.

·
Registered
241 Posts
1.85 ratio 106" here. Seems like about 1/3 of movies are 1.85 and 98% of the rest are 2.35-2.40 ratio. With my setup 2.35-2.40 movies are full width on my screen with black bars over and under,and 1.85 movies are full screen. I don't have to touch anything ,just pop in the disc! JB

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
I think I'm going to be glad I've gone for a variable image size. Last night my wife and I were watching a portion of a movie and she felt the size was just overwhelming. I just zoomed it down to a size she felt comfortable with and she was happier. I don't mind accommodating family or company when they join me to watch a flick. Other folks, like my kids and some friends, like the image as big as possible. My tastes for image size sort ranges all over the place depending on mood/source/content.

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
I would have liked the poll to have an option like "currently using CIW/CIA, but planning on converting to CIH in the future", cause I think that there might be some people in that situation. Personally, I'm CIH and I won't ever go back to CIW/CIA.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
madshi,

Did you once us CIA? If so, how and why don't you care for it?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.