AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it seems a lot of people are confused about Zoom Player and it's features.

I admit that the original readme file was not updated in a while and a lot of features have been added, so here's the new draft.

If anyone has any comments/corrections, let me know:

- - - - - -

Introduction:

Zoom Player is a robust Media and DVD Front-End Player.

Zoom Player was designed to be simple at first glance while being

remarkably dynamic and flexible when used to it's full potential.

Zoom Player works in two modes. A Media mode which can play any

file supported by DirectShow (any file which plays in MediaPlayer)

and a DVD mode which uses pre-installed DirectShow DVD filters to

play DVD content.

Specific DVD features include:

* DVD Front-End navigation using any DirectShow compatible

combination of filters.

* Smart DVD bookmark system.

* Auto loading of selected bookmarks on Play to bypass previously

seen DVD menus.

* Ability to assign DVD-Insert notification to Zoom Player or any

other program.

* Multiple play speeds including manual specification.

* DVD Path definition for use with hard disk playback (with

supporting filters).

Specific Media features include:

* Extensive play list support.

* Per-File Chaptering system.

* File definition system allowing you to save pertinent information

about played file which can be recalled the next time the file

is opened.

* Easy access to popular audio/video interfaces such as DivX/MPEG4

dialogs, DirectVobSub language selection, TFM Audio Filter 10 band

Audio Equalizer, etc...

* Fast forward support for all Media files (as long as your CPU can

keep up).

System wide features include:

* Works with most windows operating systems, including NT4.

* Fully dynamically skinned (includes two minimalistic skins for

less screen clatter).

* Dynamic range of Aspect Ratio settings including non square

pixels relative adjustment, manual Fit-To-Rectangle Aspect

Ratio and Anamorphic Aspect Ratio.

* Easy control of Video Size and Positioning to reduce image

overscan when used in conjunction with a TV-Output device.

* 10 Manual presets for use with Video Positioning (can also be

used with multi-monitor setup for advanced positioning).

* Fully keyboard mapped feature-set covering every function used

by the player (useful for Remote devices).

* Programmable keyboard interface which can include chaining of

multiple functions to one key.

* Advanced mouse controls with per-button function allocation

including a wide array of wheel supported features (useful

for remote mouse controls).

* Dynamic Control Bar for easy navigation while in full screen

mode, complete with selectable on-bar features.

* Manual DirectShow filtering system allowing you to force

specific filter into the DirectShow FilterGraph.

* 3-Mode time skipping programmable navigation speeds for quickly

seeking forward/backward within the time-line.

* Duel Context Menus with extensive support for both DVD and

Media modes.

* Extensive command line support.

* Configurable On-Screen-Display.

While some of the settings may seem intimidating, you can rest

assured that the on-line help covers each function in detail. Be it

Keyboard, Mouse or Remote Control, Zoom Player was designed for you.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
At first glance I was intimidated by all of the options, and not impressed with the graphics. But now, I don't care, this thing is so configurable. You can load one of the minimalist skins and not even look at anything but the picture and a very thin grey border. The mouse buttons can be switched around to do whatever you want. Left button pauses/plays or moves the window, etc. This should be pretty simple to program into my Pronto remote.

My only problem is that I can't get the option for S/PDIF out to reappear, but I could have sworn I had it working yesterday. I still need to READ more and try tweaking with DVDGenie, so I probably haven/t done what I need to do.

I'm using the zoom player with the video decoder from cineplayer 4.0, and the audio filter from win DVD 3.0.

Congrats, Blight.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I tried your player. I got up to the FBI warnings and then the computer reboots itself. I once got thru the warning and the program gave a illlegal operation error and closed.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Blight ,

I can't get DD/DTS passthru to work, I'm using the WinDVD audio filter that comes with the 2.8 patch. In the filter properties spdif is greyed out, is this normal? Anything I can do to enable it?

Jeff

·
Registered
729 Posts
Jeffy,

I just tried the same thing.

Cinmaster video and Windvd Audio.

The SPDIF was grayed out for me as well.

Blight ... any idea?

·
Registered
830 Posts
>My only problem is that I can't get the option for S/PDIF out to reappear,

That is my only gripe. I know to a lot of people, SP/DIF is of no consequence but to use HTPC people, it is 100% important.

No digital out = no sound = no use for people with external processors.

I know about the PDVD XP Pro and the Delta Theater but that's all still a pipedream...

T.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I know there is a way. I just don't know what that way is.

I think that SPDIF ouput uses a filter of its own or "renderer". We will need to make a link to the correct filter to get this to work.

help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can't get the "DVD Path definition for use with hard disk playback" to work on my system. What decoders does this work with? I have a path specified as m:\\, and in that directory there is a video_ts dir with all the DVD files. I'm using PowerDVD 3.0.

BTW, an evaluation copy of WinDVD 3.0 works fine for playing m:\\.

Thanks,

Ross.

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
If you want to get DD/DTS via the spdif output with Zoomplayer [ using the Cinemaster video and WinDVD audio filters ] then you must use either Win2000 or XP . You can get Dolby Pro-Logic via the spdif output under Win9X/Me , but no DD/DTS . Also note that WinXP appears to darken the image more than Win9X/Me while using Hardware Motion Compensation . The PQ from ZoomPlayer with the new Cinemaster filter is amazing to say the least , and the audio using the WinDVD 3 filter is the same as using WinDVD 3 itself . Blight has done an amazing job with his frontend player , once you get it set up and discover all the features you will love it [ I DO ] ;) !

Thanks Blight !!!

Jason Berg

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem with these problems is these are not really connected to Zoom Player, as I don't really have control over the filter's settings themselves.

But I'll try some suggestions.

1. Set the WinDVD to use DirectShow navigation (using DVD Genie).

2. Try getting WinDVD to play with sp/dif using the windvd interface once DS navigation is enabled...

3. If it works, try to see if can get it to work with Zoom Player.

4. See if setting the SP/DIF option through DVD Genie has any effect.

5. Try different versions of the WinDVD filter.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by soren
Jeffy,

I just tried the same thing.

Cinmaster video and Windvd Audio.

The SPDIF was grayed out for me as well.

Blight ... any idea?
I'm not sure if this actually works, but I came across a suggestion a while back that to get SPDIF output to stick with WinDVD audio decoder filters, one needs to use the default wave-out audio renderer filter. Normally when one tries to set SPDIF in the audio decoder filter properties, the setting doesn't stick when the dialogue box is closed.

The Ravisent DVD Player filter appears to have audio decoding embedded, so it is not possible to use a different audio rendering filter. I haven't tried SPDIF out yet with this filter to know if it works with ZoomPlayer, but it did work with the ATI player and DVD Genie assistance.

Ian

·
Registered
94 Posts
I certainly have no problem with SP/DIF in Zoom Player, my winDVD 3 audio filter works just fine. I Decided to go for a spin on it (the latest version anyway) after reading how you could customise which DVD filters to load.

I'm pretty impressed with Blight's current version (I did hate the earlier ones, not because it was bad, but because on my system it took ages to load it up; some wierd w2k issue I suppose).

Its the best thing around if you want a DVD player that can mix in the best of what is available commercially. My only gripe with it right now is that there isn't seem to be a eject button on the default skin (but I could be wrong).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Blight
Ok, it seems a lot of people are confused about Zoom Player and it's features.

I admit that the original readme file was not updated in a while and a lot of features have been added, so here's the new draft.
My congratulations on a first class piece of software that could become my main video application.

Up till now, I have been unable to play DVDs with ATI's DVD player 4.1, even though it has been possible to play archived DVDs off HDD. With the advent of ZoomPlayer, I am able to do both.

Just have to take some time to wade through all the features and capabilities of ZoomPlayer ;-)

The only problem I have found so far is that if I try to play an HDTV resolution vob with ZoomPlayer and Ravisent filter, it stutters more than using the equivalent Graphedit and generally crashes taking the whole system down. I'm sure this is more a problem with the filters than ZoomPlayer, but I was wondering if ZoomPlayer adds it's own incompatible overhead.

Ian

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I appreciate all of the suggestions and help.

I will be upgrading to XP shortly so perhaps that will aid in getting S/PDIF out.

If the people who are seeing the SPDIF out option available in Zoom player could figure out anything that makes that possible and let us know, that would be great.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I downloaded Zoom Player and tried it. It looks alright but is it using all the features of the Radeon card like the ATI Player does?

I am using XP and finally got DD to work via my SPDIF on my Live card. I started Dvdgenie and in the Windvd tab selected register filters, Then on the auto region tab set it to start Zoom player and I had DD. Where is the SPDIF checkbox in Zoom player that everyone is mentioning? Another thing when I first installed it I was having lockups and error messages, Someone mentioned going to add remove programs and removing it then reinstalling it.

That fixed the problem. If you then want to get DD out when using the ATI player you have to unregister the filters in dvdgenie.

Phill

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have almost excellent results setting up ZoomPlayer to work with PowerDVD video filter and WinDVD audio filter (for me PowerDVD video fileter is the only one that plays VOB files in the right aspect ratio).

Th eonly thing still preventing me from giving my full approval is the difficulty of enabling AC3/DTS passthru. I've tried Blight's suggesting re enablinsg DirectShow navigation but still no success. I am using W2K, with Radeon VE & DeltaDio2496.

Blight's super-minimal skin is really cool.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I'm using Wn/Me and for my own incorrigible reasons am not planning on upgrading soon to anything else.

But with my Herc GTXP I don't have any trouble with spdif pass thru with PowerDVD or WinDVD. I havn't tried it with the Zoom player yet. Are people saying that won't work under Win/Me for some reason?

- Tom

·
Registered
23 Posts
Okay,

I have a dual boot of WinMe and WinXp. With the WinDVD 3.1.55 audio filter, I get NO spdif passthru to my Live Value in WinMe with Zoom Player, but I DO get spdif passthru in WinXP. I do get spdif passthru in WinDVD Player itself for both OS's. Any suggestions?

Brent

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
One thing to keep in mind regarding AC3 S/PDIF pass-thru and WinDVD(2.6.4). From my experience the WinDVD program itself will function S/PDIF properly but the directshow filters (which Zoom player will use) will not. It might be that WinDVD uses a built in audio decoder and not the .ax filters. I have found, however, that the .ax filters DO still need to be registered for WinDVD to operate correctly.

Zoom player does work fantastic with ATI 4.1/Cinemaster DVD filter.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More comments:

1. Zoom Player tries to be as light as possible, there's no "filtergraph overhead".

2. No eject button, I'll look into adding it.

3. I could use someone to redesign the skin, I've been getting hammered about it. Frankly I find it comfertable, but then again, I also use the keyboard a lot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.