AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just thought I'd ask what people would want for their Home Theater that isn't on the market, and can be fabricated out of Acrylic? I will take the most requested items and see what can be done. Thanks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
well Backlit poster boxes are on the market...but I would love an affordable one!!!

Lou

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Lou,

Yes, that is one of the items that I am going to produce. It will be incorporated into the frames that I now have. I am a small operation and I need this Mylar box to get started before I make the light box for posters. I want it to be as affordable as possible. It is really sad at some of the prices that are out there for the Poster Light Boxes. I hope that I will be able to make something that anyone could purchase.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Dennis,

Do you mean just something small that looks like a Ticket Window for decoration?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I second the Ticket Booth, but I'd want to mount mine to my door. Realistically I'll never build one unless/until we buy a new house.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
One of the projects I built for our home was a "Ticket Window" exactly as you described, made to be mounted on the wall of the stairway leading down to my theater. thread describing construction is here

Finished and Installed Ticket Window is here

Subsequently, I do remember someone posting a link to a web-page with several ready built "ticket windows" for sale. (Yes, they ARE available!) I did a quick search and found the link... I hope you have saved your loose change, because they are not inexpensive... http://www.vintagevending.com/produc...lts.cfm?CID=78

There might be a market for a less expensive version :)

I know I spent somewhere between $350 and $450 dollars for the ticket window I built. (I did not keep exact records of each trip to the hardware store, sorry.)

A set of low-voltage halogen track lights for its marquee is included in that amount. It was the single most expensive item at approx. $170. It cost me roughly $85 dollars for a custom cut piece of tempered glass for the window. The rest of the expense was for the plywood, oak boards, veneer, rope-moulding, paint, etc.

Now, I know my version could be built for less money. There is no need for oak-plywood since none of it shows in the final version I built. Instead of round veneered columns, simpler painted columns made from MDF could be substituted. (My wife wanted columns so... our ticket window has columns) MDF could be used for everything, and painted instead of stain and finish. Instead of cutting the glass, the holes and openings could be simulated with black paint, less expensive lights could be used, or no lights... Lots of ways to cut a few dollars here and there. I don't have the experience working with acrylic to know how to build a similar window using it as a material. Certainly, the glass can be replaced by clear acrylic. Pieces of acrylic can be cut to form the ticket shelf, trim, etc. Sounds doable...

If I was clairvoyant I would have known exactly how to build a ticket window up front, before I purchased my initial materials. Instead, I had to design and build as I went through the various stages of construction. Looks like usmcss will have to do the same as he explores the possibilities using alternate materials.

I can't tell you how many hours I spent building mine, but it I'll bet it was at least 8 or 10, it was spread over many weekends. I certainly can see how the commercial product is priced how it is... (although I'm sure they are making a very decent profit)

Hey... maybe we should start up a production line... It would be far less work making more than one at a time.... looks like there is a market... at least I know what the competition is charging, What I don't know is an appropriate "target price" for a competing product. :) :) :)

In any case, usmcss may have some great ideas of how to make a ticket window out of acrylic since that is where he has his expertise.

Joe L.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The popcorn Bowls are something that we are considering. Thank you for your post Ken.

Joe, what a great post. I now understand what people want for a ticket window. The one you made is AWESOME!!! I am not the expert on the Acrylic, but I work with someone who is. I will run this idea by him this week and see what he says. It might be to big of a project, but it might be doable.

PC Doc, I will also run the panel idea by him but I don't know if this will be something that can be done because of the Graphics. It would probably be expensive.

Thanks to all for the ideas and keep them coming.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by usmcss
Hello Dennis,

Do you mean just something small that looks like a Ticket Window for decoration?

For us carpentry-challenged...

Yes, something fairly small that looks like a ticket window that could be hung on a door or wall like a picture frame. Although I would love one like Joe L. made, I don't have the space for one. I am thinking something along the idea of maybe a 2' wide x 3' tall wood frame with glass or plexiglass in the frame saying tickets with a 1/2 round hole, loose pleated curtain behind it (like 2 panels split of velour and have flat fabric behind it - maybe black to give a depth perception), and a ledge. The word tickets could be painted or etched (curved along the top like the 1/2 hole curve), and an old style admission fee sign in the corner. Here is a picture of a door that someone must have done similar to this. I think it would sell if it wasn't very expensive. I would certainly like to have one.

thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Dennisgg,

How about purchasing a mirror (with or without a frame) and hot gluing a shelf, a faux ticket passage and find some interesting ticket letters. That will get you started.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
usmcss,

I didn't say popcorn "bowls", I said TUBS, like they have at a commercial theater. Prefer to have white w/red stripes, large size.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello Ken,

I knew what you meant. I shouldn't have said bowls. If I get enough interest then it will be a go. Take care.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Joe,

Your ticket booth is awsome! I went a little different, more modern touch. I used the same idea of the staircase, but since there is a closet at the bottom, the box office actually works. My 9 year-old wanted a "working" box office. We used plexiglass and had a mirror store cut the curve. The metal is carpet strips that a picture frame place did the 45 degree cuts for me. I also have a menu board which wasn't up when the picture was taken.

Liden Theatre www.pbase.com/lindentheatre

Jerry

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dennis, sorry for not responding back to you. The smaller version sounds like something that can be done. although it would all have to be made out of Acrylic. Now all that needs to take place is a design. I will be doing some research starting today.

Blipszyc, are you talking about Projector mounts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I too would like popcorn tubs but they would need to be dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. Also it would be great to have some kind of mesh/grid (can't think of how to describe this) that you could drop into the tub before you added the popcorn that would be sightly raised off of the bottom of the tub that allows old maids (unpopped kernels) to fall through to the bottom but not allow your hand to reach them. This would reduce the chance of bitting into one of those hard suckers. Color red and white. Or just white so we can take them to local air brushers and have them customized.

Of course, I want this at a reasonable price. LOL

·
Registered
936 Posts
A nice, small table with cupholders to put between my two main recliners.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by usmcss
Dennis, sorry for not responding back to you. The smaller version sounds like something that can be done. although it would all have to be made out of Acrylic. Now all that needs to take place is a design. I will be doing some research starting today.

Blipszyc, are you talking about Projector mounts?

Thanks.

How about something like this - I could do the wood frame, put in the back felt/velour and curtains.

I would suggest something that fits in a 24"w x 36"h frame so a poster frame could be used. The center will have a round "soffit vent" or similar louvre for "talking" through.

Attached is a crude drawing of a plan.

thanks,

Dennis

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.