AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 50" Pioneer is running for just over $5k, and the 50" Panny for over $7k. From various threads in the forum, purchasers of both are happy, and no one who bought one would generally consider buying the other a mistake. So what the heck is driving the price difference? If they are so similar, would not market forces pull the Panny price down?

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The Pioneer 50" is 1280x768 resolution, while the Panasonic is 1366x768 resolution. The Panasonic is a newer model.

·
Registered
674 Posts
some people have also stated an opinion that the Panasonics have better black levels than the Pioneer. I can agree, however, the difference in my opinion is not so substantial so as to justify spending that much more. Furthermore, I don't know that the Panny is 'futureproof' in the way that the Pioneer is. It may be, but I'm not sure. The Pioneer, with its video card adapter slot, will allow the use of a new video adapter card regardless of how hardware standards change (hence my reason for getting the Pioneer).

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Certainly there is *nothing* about the extra pixels that justifies a price premium. Ditto it being a newer model.

If you find the picture superior, that's fine by me. But Don's reasons strike me as odd at best.

Mark

·
Registered
115 Posts
I also just got the pioneer 503. I can't imagine the picture on the Panasonic could be $2,000 better. I just don't see much (if any) room for improvement. The only problem I have with the Pioneer is that it's going to make me spend another $3,500 for a 42" panny for the bedroom.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hi Major Havoc

I am in the same boat as you in justifying the price difference between the pio and the panny. All I can say by seeing both running I prefer the black level the panny provides. Is the black level worth $2500.00 only you can decide? I haven't purchased yet the pio is tempting if I had not seen the Panny. Is the Panny worth $2500 to me personally no. Maybe a $500.00 premium at most for me. The other thing to consider is the poor DVI of the Panny and the new card that will not do native rate. The Pio DVI works great. Rogo's assessment of the different resolution of screens for me is true for me also. Both screens are wonderful anyone would be happy with either screen. I believe that if one did not see the screens side by side you would have a hard time picking up the black differences. Elsewhere the screens have been described as follows. The Panny is more video like CRT look. Where the Pio has vibrant colors and more film like softer looking which may or may not be a bad thing. Note I saw Ocean 11 in the theaters and was not happy with the film grain in the movie. Other I talk to liked the soft film grain of that film. The point is seeing both and decided what floats your boat. I hope that Panasonics get in the game price wise and the price drops to get competitive with poi screen. I also hope they get the DVI corrected. I would like to get to a signal source HTPC for output at native rate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.