AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have a WinXP machine with a P4 1.8, 512 megs RDRAM, and Radeon 7500. I use ZoomPlayer with the Sonic video filter and WinDVD audio filter for DVD playback via overlay. SPDIF out from an RME Digi96/8 to my preamp.

I've experimented with the ffdshow video processing filter, but playback was choppy. I can't get VMR9 to work at all (ZP spits out an error message).

My motherboard (Asus P4T-E) can support up to a P4 2.4 and AGP 4x. Would adding a P4 2.4 and upgrading my video card to something like a 9700 give me enough power, or is it time to upgrade the motherboard to an AGP 8x model and shoot for a 3Ghz P4 and 9800?

·
Registered
255 Posts
This "choppy" playback has nothing to do with horsepower or agp mode. Its simple that not all decoder support vmr9 fully. Also vmr9 has still lotsa bugs and arnt fully supported by drivers yet.

The cpu usage from overlay to vmr9 is just about 5-10% higher.

I dont like vmr9 since it smooths/blur the image. It use a better scaler but if u use ffdshow as reziser than there is no reason to use vmr9 at all?

So why u want switch to vmr9? Any special reason or just cause some dudes say its the "best"?

Did u set the decoder to vmr in the cineplayer and dxva disabled?

BTW vmr mode dont mean vmr9 there is also a vmr7 render. U can select it by costum render in zoomplayer, just scoll down and search for "video render" there are 2 just select the first the second is the standard render wich is used with the overlay mixer.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Get to 85-90% cpu load by tweaking the ffdshow filters. At 1.7-2.0 ghz you can easily load the system to 100% and get choppy playback. You'll want 2.8+ ghz to use all of ffdshow's power. Your board will support higher than 2.4, just get the right fsb processor and you won't need any other upgrades. The Intel 850 is still a great chipset.

Decrypt the dvd to your HD to save some cpu cycles too. (DVDSHRINK at no compression or DVDDECRYPTER)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyIEG
This "choppy" playback has nothing to do with horsepower or agp mode. Its simple that not all decoder support vmr9 fully. Also vmr9 has still lotsa bugs and arnt fully supported by drivers yet.

The cpu usage from overlay to vmr9 is just about 5-10% higher.

I dont like vmr9 since it smooths/blur the image. It use a better scaler but if u use ffdshow as reziser than there is no reason to use vmr9 at all?

So why u want switch to vmr9? Any special reason or just cause some dudes say its the "best"?

Did u set the decoder to vmr in the cineplayer and dxva disabled?

BTW vmr mode dont mean vmr9 there is also a vmr7 render. U can select it by costum render in zoomplayer, just scoll down and search for "video render" there are 2 just select the first the second is the standard render wich is used with the overlay mixer.
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. The choppy playback is while trying to use the ffdshow video processing filter in ZP with the overlay, not with VMR.

VMR doesn't seem to work at all. ZP gives me an error message when I enable VMR9 and attempt to play a DVD.

I actually wanted to try VMR9 first because I not only want to see if I like the scaling better, but I also want to use PowerStrip's color controls, which don't work via overlay. I only tried ffdshow for scaling when it seemed VMR9 wouldn't work. Unfortunately that requires the overlay.

I guess what I'm trying to do is improve upon the basic scaling offered by my Radeon 7500 while gaining the color controls offered by Powerstrip. When enabling the "Use EDID CID chromacity values" with my Sharp 12K, I get what looks like much more accurate colors.

I'm not interested in the other video processing capabilities of ffdshow since it looks like a bunch of noise to me based on the screencaps I've seen. I prefer a film-like look that isn't oversharpened.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
VMR9 definitely does work with Zoom Player, WinDVD, Sonic.

I would say that you have next to no chance of running VMR9 on your system.

You will need a Radeon 9600, Geforce 5200 or better and for optimal FFDShow performance, especially with a HD display, the fastest CPU you can find (3.2G or faster). An overclocked dual channel DDR P4 2.8 system (running at 3.3-3.5G) is preferable and not expensive compared to other HT equipment.

CPU and RAM performance is more important then a super fast video card so don't wast your money on a 9800. Buy a fast main board and CPU in stead.

In my and many other senior members opinion, VMR9 does give an improved and more “film like†image compared to the overlays harsh digital 16bit color look.

Quote:
Originally posted by thirdkind
I'm not interested in the other video processing capabilities of ffdshow since it looks like a bunch of noise to me based on the screencaps I've seen. I prefer a film-like look that isn't oversharpened.
It would be extremely unwise to judge FFDShow by screen shots.

If you have not fully explored what it can do on your display you should not be so quick to dismiss it.

There is a lot more to FFDShow then sharpening. If you never use it to its full potential you will never know.

I am not trying to ram VMR9 or FFDShow down anyones throat. Just trying to help out fellow members. :D

Regards,

Owen

The ffdshow resize-sharpen dude.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I was under the impression that VMR9 was only supported by Radeon 9500/9600 cards and up... is this not true?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by monomer
I was under the impression that VMR9 was only supported by Radeon 9500/9600 cards and up... is this not true?
No. as with all directX operations, if the hardware cant support it it will fallback onto a software alternative. It runs fine on older cards, but likely with reduced performance. 9500 above and GeforceFX cards are the only cards out that take all directX calls as hardware and is prefered.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
VMR9 works on old cards like the 7500 but they are generally just to slow to work without tearing problems.

Regards,

Owen

The ffdshow resize-sharpen dude.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well a botched chipset driver installation hosed my system and I reinstalled WinXP clean. Magically, VMR9 now works, though with some tearing in the upper left-hand corner. Colors seem much smoother and more natural, as does the scaling. I tried some test patterns, and the moving zone plate on Avia, which was previously a garbled mess no matter what decoder I used in ZP, is now rock solid. Quite impressive.

Think an upgrade to a 9600 and a faster CPU would cut it?

Quote:
Originally posted by ElectricLegs
Your board will support higher than 2.4, just get the right fsb processor and you won't need any other upgrades. The Intel 850 is still a great chipset.
According to Asus, my board (P4T-E) supports up to P4 2.6GHz or Celeron 2.8GHz, 400 MHz FSB. Would a jump to 2.6GHz along with a Radeon 9600 be enough of an improvement over 1.8GHz/Radeon 7500 to get VMR9 or ffdshow working properly?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Jay:

IMO, Probably.

I upgraded a Radeon 7500 to a 9800SE, and found choppy video playback (from ReplayTV files) via WMP9 went from about 1 fps to completely smooth on a 1.3GHz Celeron under XP Pro.

How VMR9 or ffdshow CPU load compares to WMP's, I have no clue, but faster is better.

(I bought the 9800 from Newegg for $145.)

Hope this helps.

-yogaman

·
Registered
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thirdkind
Right now I have a WinXP machine with a P4 1.8, 512 megs RDRAM, and Radeon 7500. I use ZoomPlayer with the Sonic video filter and WinDVD audio filter for DVD playback via overlay. SPDIF out from an RME Digi96/8 to my preamp.

I've experimented with the ffdshow video processing filter, but playback was choppy. I can't get VMR9 to work at all (ZP spits out an error message).

My motherboard (Asus P4T-E) can support up to a P4 2.4 and AGP 4x. Would adding a P4 2.4 and upgrading my video card to something like a 9700 give me enough power, or is it time to upgrade the motherboard to an AGP 8x model and shoot for a 3Ghz P4 and 9800?
If you can't get the decoders to work with VMR9, try opening up the actual player apps and disabling hardware acceleration. I've had to do this with

the cyberlink video decoder.

I'm running a 2.4 GHz and cyberlink/ffdshow with rescaling/VMR9 and it works very smoothly. I'm even throwing reclock into the mix and 2.4 is fine.

Mike

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I'm still designing my system, but I plan to use a P4 3.2 processor with twin sticks of Ram ([email protected]) so I can use ffdshow with a "still yet to be decided" software front end. Pardon my not knowing but is VMR9 a special download?.

Chewbacco-

·
Registered
37 Posts
VMR9 is "installed" (or so to speak) when you when you install DirectX9 on your system. Getting VMR9 on a computer, however, isn't as simple as just installing DX9. To fully use VMR9, your video card needs to be able to support DX9 features, and have DX9 compliant drivers. DirectX 8.1 and 7 video cards may use VMR9, but only some of the most basic functions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.