AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of metals are AVR ( audio video receivers) made of?

I'm referring to the shell / housing of the receiver,

I'm asking this because i got 10 receivers, most work, but eh its a dead market to try to sell em used, So i rather just recycle em,

here are the brands i got

Sherwood

JVC

SONY

Pioneer

All these receivers are from MId 90's to 2004 ish.

And do the Motherboard/ circuit boards have gold or other precious metals? that way i can e recycle the motherboards hehe.

any insight would be fantastic.

thank you

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Chassis are typically steel. You can check with a magnet. You may also run into aluminum.

Circuit boards have copper, of course, maybe nickel, possibly minute quantities of gold, etc. Gold can be recycled, but it is only cost effective on a large scale. FWIW the chemicals involved are dangerous and will cost more than the value of any gold you can get out of the gear you have.

I doubt you can make enough money recycling the components to make it worth the time and effort.

Where I live, there are places that will recycle electronics gear for free.

Places like Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. will accept working electronics as donations.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Both my Onkyo receivers have steel (and plastic) chassis. I'm pretty sure most other manufacturers are the same. Steel is recyclable, but not worth anything really (aluminum is the metal of choice, netting up to $2/lb here.) I had some steel coffee cans and no one would give me anything for them (they did take them, though.)

I'd just take them to an electronics recycler, as most metal recyclers want the boards/plastic faceplate removed first.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow thanks for the input guys.

Now its really got me thinking, Do you guys know what grade steel it is?

and their all steel i just checked with a magnet.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejack11  /t/1417222/what-kind-of-metals-are-avr-audio-video-receivers-made-of#post_22161705

Do you guys know what grade steel it is?
No idea.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejack11  /t/1417222/what-kind-of-metals-are-avr-audio-video-receivers-made-of#post_22161705

wow thanks for the input guys.

Now its really got me thinking, Do you guys know what grade steel it is?

and their all steel i just checked with a magnet.

Mild steel, pretty soft, relatively weak stuff, chosen for easy manufacturing. Usually plated with cadmium and/or treated with a corrosion-resisting finish.

Other than power amps and receivers, most modern audio gear is composed of relatively lightweight, mostly empty boxes whose size and approximate shape was established by convention about 50 years ago.

One also sees components that are in boxes that are completely plastic, selectively treated on the inside with a shielding compound.

Remember that other than the power amps, a Sansa Clip is a full fledged stereo receiver with built in media player and mass storage. So, if you have a stereo receiver, its functional components other than the power amp could potentially fit inside a Sansa Clip case. With switchmode power supplies and Class G or D amplification, the power amp portion of the receiver is due for a big shrink job as well.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Am afraid to ask how u came to own so many boxes - never mind.

Typical casing: galvanized steel. Not titanium, Not gold, Not unobtanium. :^) Value: 0.

Recycle electronics: all I can picture are those e-waste we send to China and the poor peasants, risking physical harm and inhaling caustic acid vapors to remove the components.

Probably better to get a job at Mcdonalds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts