AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an oval dish with the sat-c kit installed, I also have 3 receivers, ( can be thought of as 4 receivers as I'll explain below)

one is a philips DVR with 2 sat inputs

one is a non-descript philips receiver

the last is a HDTV Toshiba STB.

The 2 philips are relatively new additions, the current multiswitch I have is the ChannelMaster that came with the dish, 4 X 4. I had previously set all three receivers to oval dish type 3, everything worked fine for about a month. For some reason, a couple of days ago, I lost satellite signal on the Toshiba and generic Philips, after fiddeling around a bit, I changed the generic Phillips and the DVR to oval dish type 2, then the philips came back. Unfortunately, I still cannot get the Toshiba to get signal. I even swapped one of the leads from the philips DVR to the toshiba and still nada.

We had rain ( no lightening) the day all this happened, is it possible something happened to the switch? If so, why wouldn't I be able to acquire signal using the lead from a working recever? I even tried putting the lead going into the toshiba to the philips and it's fine, it definitely has signal.

My working theory is it has something to do with the oval3 setting on several receivers, but I'm not too sure about this.

Do I need a bigger switch? Did I fry the receiver and/or the switch? What happens if I set all receivers to oval 3? Can some voltage damage occur?

Thanks

John

:confused:

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
Do I need a bigger switch?
Only if you want to add more receivers.

Quote:
Did I fry the receiver and/or the switch?
Probably not.

Quote:
What happens if I set all receivers to oval 3? Can some voltage damage occur?
If everything is working correctly, all of the receivers will be able to get channels from all three satellites. You shouldn't damage anything.

Quote:
We had rain ( no lightening) the day all this happened
You may have moisture in your coax connections. Are they sealed?

-Robert

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Robert,

The one thing that catches my attention is your last point about the moisture, what do you mean by sealed? I do have what they call waterproof RG-6 connectors but they are not sealed to my knowledge. How would you seal them, silicon or something similar? My question is with moisture, would it affect one receiver and not another? I mean, I took the cable from the defective receiver and plugged it into another receiver and it found signal with no problem?

Just wondering

Thanks

John

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
what do you mean by sealed?
Radio Shack sells some special stuff that looks like electrical tape. You wrap your connections in it and it will fuse together into a solid mass. If you need to do any work to it, cut it off with a razor.

Quote:
My question is with moisture, would it affect one receiver and not another?
It could.

Quote:
I took the cable from the defective receiver and plugged it into another receiver and it found signal with no problem?
Have you checked the length of your center conductor? I had a problem when I switch from Dish to DirecTV and re-sued the cables. After a weekend of frustration, I found out that the center conductor needed to be about 1/16th inch longer for my DirecTivo.

-Robert

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm, very interesting, never thought to look at it but it's a great point. The only reason I'm not sure if that is it is that it was working fine and then nothing. I did verify that the connectors were securely on the jacket otherwise, I could see how the center connector could move slightly. I can't think of any other way the connector could "shrink", but I will check that.

Thanks

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.