AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of off-topic here, but I figured the people here may be more objective about "small" TVs and whether anamorphic squeeze (ala Sony's flat-screen models), built-in line doubling, and HDTV compatibility are really worth anything on a 32" TV.

So, I'm saving up for an LT150 but, having just moved and bought a new armoire which my old 35" Toshiba won't fit into, I'm looking to get a new TV. I'll be sitting about 11-13' feet away from the set.

At that distance, will I notice scan-lines on a 32" set?

What about the extra resolution in HDTV broadcasts (granted, these sets don't go all the way up to 1080, probably more like 800 lines)?

What about the extra resolution of watching an anamorphic DVD using Sony's squeeze mode? Would I notice any of that extra resolution at that distance?

The deals I'm thinking of are a floor-model Sony 32XBR450 (4:3 HDTV) for $1200 (may be gone by now - I saw this last week) and a 32FS13 (bottom-of-the-line NTSC Sony flat screen with anamorphic squeeze) for $850 brand new. Of course, if neither of these features are worth anything on a TV this size at an 11-13' viewing distance, maybe I should forego Sony's flatscreens and just find the cheapest bang-for-the-buck 32" TV out there and put the extra money aside so that I can get the LT150 sooner. I also considered going down to a 27" (to save even more money), but I think I'll still be watching a lot of daytime TV and TiVo that I'll probably want a fairly large set.

At similar viewing distances to mine, what kinds of TVs do you guys use when you're not watching things on the big screen?

Scott

[This message has been edited by srauly (edited 10-05-2001).]

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just have a 19" magnavox that I had when I was in college. I don't watch much regular TV so it doesn't really matter. If I want the screen to seem bigger I just sit closer ;>

I really don't have time for TV and most of it is crap anyway.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
On a regular 480i set, you most definitely will see the lines even at your viewing distance. If HDTV is not a concern, then just get one that does the Anamorphic squeeze. I was surprised at what a difference this made when I did it manually on my Sony 35" . But you WILL be able to appreciate the difference of a High Def set at this size, It's just a matter of wether it's worth it or not to you.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
How about a 32" monitor/TV that line-doubles standard television and is HDTV-ready?
http://www.monitoroutlet.com/780370.html

Not only will it act as a TV using the built-in tuner, but it will also support the same XGA video mode as your LT150!

Gary

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm...Well, thanks for costing me more money.

Maybe I'll see if that Sony XBR is still around. At $1200, it's probably a good deal. What I'd really like is the RCA MM32110, but that seems to go for about $1300+.

I'll look into that monitor, too.

I'll have to mull it over. My decision is going to boild down to whether I should get a $1300 HDTV set now and wait longer for the LT150, or get an $850 set and get the LT150 a bit sooner.

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.