AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bad tuner in my UTV. I have a 4 year replacemnt garuntee. If I took it in, would they give me the version with the 3.7 software on it? I've heard it has lots of bugs with that version. I would prefer that I get either my unit replaired, or a re-furbished one with the 3.5 software on it. Does anyone thing that they can do that? I bought it at Best Buy.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't know why you wouldn't want the 3.7. I have it on 3 UTV's and I would never go back to the 3.5. I have not found it to have lots of bugs. It works fine on my UTV's with the proper card (P4)

Scott.

·
Registered
17,675 Posts
Bugs? There are a few things that don't work exactly the way we wish they would (some of those are holdovers from 3.5, as well, such as the fact you still can't do repeating manual records), but I haven't had more than minor glitches with 3.7 that often never happened again. My only complaint would have to be with the nag screen that tells you it won't record a deleted program for 30 days every time you delete something. I wish there was a way to shut that off. However, the things I really like about 3.7 outweigh anything I don't like:

1) It's great you can now have search results appear alphabetically and each item appears only once in a folder you can open to see all instances. That's huge when you search for the original version of a movie when the remake is on PPV - no sifting through hundreds of PPV listings by time.

2) Caller ID - this is one area that could be considered "buggy." It doesn't like wireless jacks and it doesn't always pop up a banner when someone calls. However, it works more often that it doesn't and it's great if you don't have a caller ID box within sight of your couch.

3) A show that is manually deleted won't record for 30 days. That's great for shows like The Sopranos where the same episode airs multiple times throughout the week. Despite the nag screen that pops up every time you delete a show (telling you it won't record again for 30 days), it's a huge improvement.

4) You can turn off your UTV while it is recording. You couldn't do that before. You always had to either wait until the recording finishes, then manually turn it off, or stop the recording. You do have to use the remote to do this, though. The button on the UTV turns it off the old way.

5) You can delete the history.

6) You can delete multiple shows at once. Have you started to record a series to try it out, but didn't get around to beginning watching the episodes until you've recorded the fourth episode? If it turns out to be terrible, you can delete all of them at once instead of one at a time...at atime...at a time.

Like I said before, the biggest bug I have found is with the functioning of the caller-ID. It doesn't hurt anything, it just doesn't always work. When it does, it's great to have. When it doesn't I have to get up like I always did before. I also don't like they replaced the transport keys with skip ahead buttons when in the guide. I like that you now can skip foward of back 12 hours in the guide using the hand-held remote, but I wish they had used other buttons. Now you can't skip commercials when watching a recorded or buffered show while browsing the guide. There are a few other little annoyances some have found, but nothing to really rant over. Every version has bugs.

·
Registered
17,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by swwagner1
i agree with every point. but even cid on my phone misses sometimes. ILMUTV
I think it misses calls on everyone's machine now and then. It's definitely not perfect, but it's better than not having it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV
1) It's great you can now have search results appear alphabetically and each item appears only once in a folder you can open to see all instances. That's huge when you search for the original version of a movie when the remake is on PPV - no sifting through hundreds of PPV listings by time.

The search engine only works properly for a select few. I know this has been discussed before but I DEFINITELY insist that this severely retarded and at best dyslexic feature not be recommended as a plus for 3.7!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.