AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building and the cable wiring guy wants to know what kind of RG6 I want.

I have Directv and a CAV 6.6 system that will distribute the three DSS bozes I have.

I told him I want F connectors in the rooms and RCA connectors at the home base. All cables will be "Homerunned".

What is my best and most economical way to go? I plan to eventually have HD also.

I know I want Dual Cables (Siamese), but what about :

18 AWG?

Solid Copper Core?

% of Braiding?

Dual or Quad Shield?

3.0, 2.2 or 1 Swept test?

Also, for 500Ft, what is a good or reasonable price?

·
Registered
613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nz9p29 /forum/post/0

I am building and the cable wiring guy wants to know what kind of RG6 I want.

I have Directv and a CAV 6.6 system that will distribute the three DSS bozes I have.

I told him I want F connectors in the rooms and RCA connectors at the home base. All cables will be "Homerunned".

What is my best and most economical way to go? I plan to eventually have HD also.

I know I want Dual Cables (Siamese), but what about :

18 AWG?

Solid Copper Core?

% of Braiding?

Dual or Quad Shield?

3.0, 2.2 or 1 Swept test?

Also, for 500Ft, what is a good or reasonable price?

If your cable guy doesn't know I would be getting another cable guy.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indil377 /forum/post/0

If your cable guy doesn't know I would be getting another cable guy.

I couldnt have said that any better myself.

but me personally, i like commscope 2227v

·
Registered
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nz9p29 /forum/post/0

I know that. I was trying to be specific. Sub-Contractors will often use the cheapest stuff they can. I wanted to make sure I specified the type.

Ok, so me personally, I like Commscope 2227V

·
Registered
542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekdo /forum/post/0

What would be the difference between Commscope 2227v and Belden 1189a besides the price?

ekdo,

I would stay away from any of the copper-clad-steel (CCS) RG6 cables. IIRC, DirectTV (for example) specifically specs a solid copper core. You will also find that quad shield CCS is very stiff and difficult to work with -- especially if you are retrofitting a house with drywall already up.

I would suggest a cable rated to 3GHz with a solid copper core. If you are concerned with cost, Belden 7915a (not quad shield) fits the bill and is suprisingly affordable. You can get 1000' for under $125. The Belden 1694a (also not quad shield) is rated to 4.5GHz and is the gold standard on this forum. It's a more pricey at about $350 for 1000'.

Unless you live near a radio or TV transmission tower and are seriously concerned about interference, the 7915a is more than adeguate for residential needs.

Regards,

Scott

·
Registered
274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS /forum/post/0

ekdo,

I would stay away from any of the copper-clad-steel (CCS) RG6 cables. IIRC, DirectTV (for example) specifically specs a solid copper core. You will also find that quad shield CCS is very stiff and difficult to work with -- especially if you are retrofitting a house with drywall already up.

I would suggest a cable rated to 3GHz with a solid copper core. If you are concerned with cost, Belden 7915a (not quad shield) fits the bill and is suprisingly affordable. You can get 1000' for under $125. The Belden 1694a (also not quad shield) is rated to 4.5GHz and is the gold standard on this forum. It's a more pricey at about $350 for 1000'.

Unless you live near a radio or TV transmission tower and are seriously concerned about interference, the 7915a is more than adeguate for residential needs.

Regards,

Scott

Thanks, Scott.

I will have that spec'd for my new home in Wake county, not too far from Cary!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.