AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please let me know if it is possible to identify what kind of set up previous owners had in this house. Thank you!

We have 3 set of True speakers (6 total) with knob controls in a) kitchen b) patio c) garage

We have 2 sets of speakers (4 total) in a) living room b) gaming room

It looks like the last 2 sets of speakers were supposed to work with TV receivers/amplifiers because I see 2 wires coming out in the living room & gaming room right where previous owners' TV sets were placed before. (We're not going to utilize 2 speakers in the living room for our TV as we have Onkyo HT-S9100THX 7.1 Channel Receiver and Speaker Package)

We have CAT 5 outlets throughout the house and DSC security system (separate central panel)

We have a whole bunch of cut wires in the living room. Please see photo below.

I would assume that 6 16AWG wires on the left side of the photo are connected to 3 sets of speakers w volume control knobs (kitchen, patio & garage). 16AWG wires on the right side somehow related to other sets of speakers (living & gaming). What CAT5e & Coaxial cables are doing there - I have no idea.

Also, what would Onkyo TX-8555 Stereo Receiver and Russound 4 way speaker selector connected to all those wires give us?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ugh...that's why it's important to always label the ends of cable. My only suggestion at this point would be to use a cable toner to locate and confirm where the other ends of the cables go.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That looks like a multi zone stereo set up (speaker wires) and some sort of keypad system (cat5). the niles ICS system would use this set up.

But Yubbie is right a toner would be ideal. The speaker wire that has 4 lines is 4 conductor wire most likely to get sound into the other rooms(with this wire they only have to run one instead of two). the 2 conductor speaker wire all probably leads to the same room for a home theater system.

There are five 4 conductor and what looks like to be 5 cat5 lines. this leads me to believe i am correct about the other zones and keypad controls.

The coaxial cable is probably ran into the room where the home theater wires go. it is most likely for the subwoofer.

hope this helps

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok keep this in mind as you run through these wires.

16/4 consists of two speakers

16/2 will lead to one

Coax is used for cable tv or to carry a sub signal

Cat 5 can do anything you want it to if you have the proper balun,

audio (speaker, rca) / video (composite, Component, HDMI) control can all be done with a single cat 5.

If your confused as to where everything leads you can use a very simple method to label wires if those wires aren't buried. Use a 9 volt battery on one

side and your tongue on the other....most reliable testing tool in the world.

Good luck.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilla /forum/post/16923740

We have a whole bunch of cut wires in the living room. Please see photo below.

I would assume that 6 16AWG wires on the left side of the photo are connected to 3 sets of speakers w volume control knobs (kitchen, patio & garage). 16AWG wires on the right side somehow related to other sets of speakers (living & gaming). What CAT5e & Coaxial cables are doing there - I have no idea.

Also, what would Onkyo TX-8555 Stereo Receiver and Russound 4 way speaker selector connected to all those wires give us?

The way a technican would do this is that he would first use a DVM to ensure that none of the wires have signficiant power on them. Then he would try to identify which are paired.

If any of the wires are hanging loose on their other ends, first insulate all of the wires. Then for each remote location, short two wires together and identify the bundles by testing for the short at the common location. Label identified wires appropriately. Then unshort any of the wires you shorted for the purpose of testing.

If any of the wires are connected to speakers, you can identify the pair for each speaker by using an ohmeter for finding the characteristic 3 to 20 ohm resistance between the pairs of wires going to each speaker with a DVM.

Then using an appropriate signal source, apply an audio signal to each pair of wires going to a speaker, and use your ears to find the speaker that goes with those wires. Label identified wires appropriately.

My personal standard for labelling wires is to use some semi-permanent means such as white cloth adhesive tape strips and a shapie to put the same unique marking at each end of each related bunch of wires or cables. This presumes that the individual wires in each labelled bunch has some unique indentifier within that bunch, such as color.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter White /forum/post/17012375

You can also use a battery and a light bulb of the correct voltage to identify wires. If you have a 9 volt lantern you can take apart, you can save the cost of a multi-meter.

You can get a usable meter for $4 or $5 at that marina cartage store.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.