AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying that this is not intended to be a discussion of snake oil or trillion dollar cables or using coat hanger wire, so let's try not to turn it into that...

At some point you have to connect your cable of choice to an amp and speaker. I see a number of solutions being used: bare wire wrapped around the posts, spades, a couple of different styles of bananas. Some connectors are soldered to the wire, some attached with set screws or other mechanical means.

I have personally used various forms of bananas in most of my setups, ranging from cheap ones with springy tines to quite expensive WBT locking models. They seem convenient, and the locking ones really do stay put pretty well. Spades arguably have more contact area with the post and can be clamped harder, but seem to take up more space, and can be a particular pain to route cables if the amp's binding posts are way down at the bottom edge of the box. Bare wire has the fewest moving parts and in an ideal world likely the lowest resistance, but is more subject to oxidization an stray strands breaking loose and ending up somewhere they shouldn't.

What do you like to use? Do you have a different answer if it's for a multichannel theater vs 2-channel system?

·
Registered
582 Posts
bananna plugs for connections that take them. spades for those connections that don’t take bananna plugs.

i am obsessed with mediabridge connections. inexpensive. look great. function flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've used 1/2 inch stripped cables/wires with twisted ends for 50 years now and they've never let me down once. They've worked equally well over the years on Epicures, ARs, Vandersteens, JBLs, Klipsch, ESS, SVS, B+Ws, and even Bose...call me old fashioned.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Sewell deadbolt banana plugs!!

Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
147 Posts
I used bare wire for 20+ years. Thick bare wire. I would use a wire stripping/crimping tool and try to uniformly twist all strands for the 1/2 inch or so of exposed copper wire. I was kind of a set it and forget it at that point. Never planning on having to disconnect speakers as I was sure I was at my final placement.
The last time I had some remodeling done, it was such a pain in the neck to get all the strands through the hole with out any of them kinking and driving me crazy (I probably need glasses these days), I decided to give banana plugs a try.
I studied for hours online, here and a bunch of similar sites and weighted posters who had a history of credible advice in the past.
I wanted them as short and narrow as possible. My receivers plugs are close together and I wanted it as close to the wall as possible.
I replaced the cables to the front three with Sewell silverback wire and plugs in the appropriate lengths as it was inexpensive. At the rear of the speaker I replaced the Silverbacks with Monoprice right angle two screw banana plug. Everywhere else I could, I used Sewell Deadbolt banana plugs.
At first I hated the deadbolts...but then I watched the instructional video and damn, it is just a great design. Every one gave me the impression of being a solid and reliable connection. I only had one break off inside the speaker plug (I chalked that up to a manufacturing defect).
Then,
of course, to get the "pro" or "finished look" you must buy a heatgun, black expandable braided sleeving and black and red heat shrink for all of the cables and connectors.

Sewell has a very informative site with measurements for all the length and diameter (inside and out)...just no right angle ones. for the back of my stand mounted and center speakers I really like the monoprice, keeps the cable profile as low and snug as possible for concealment.

Believe me, I was dead set "old school" prior to this. I will never go back. I only had to unplug and replug one time to come to this conclusion. Plus, I really like the clean and finished look. Just like nice plumbing.

I am not a handy guy at all. The first couple were frustrating...but once I got good at it, it goes much faster and I kind of enjoyed the time spent doing and the results.

YMMV

·
Registered
15,171 Posts
I can't believe it matters at all which type, as long as you have a secure connection.

Reactions: spyboy

·
Registered
968 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
bananna plugs for connections that take them. spades for those connections that don’t take bananna plugs.

i am obsessed with mediabridge connections. inexpensive. look great. function flawlessly.

Second the MediaBridge banana plugs! No crimping, dead simple, very solid and fwiw I do think they look sharp.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Bare wire in-wall; banana plugs everywhere else. Never had an issue with either method.
This is what I've been doing as well... I even use banana plugs on the cables I made up for my desktop setup.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Started with regular clear coated bare wire. Eventually added banana plugs...later tried my hand at DIY cables. I finally succumbed to buying some nice quality and affordable 8' ultralink matrix cables. The nice pouch they arrived in... I now use to store all my other speaker wire....win... win... 🙂

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Spades if possible, bananas where spades won't work, but any wall connection = speakON :)

·
Registered
304 Posts

12 gauge CL-2 in-wall with these GLS audio locking plugs. Only cuz they look nice, not because of any sonic superiority. I got bored one day so I made them.

I’ve also used Nakamichi plugs.

·
Registered
582 Posts

12 gauge CL-2 in-wall with these GLS audio locking plugs. Only cuz they look nice, not because of any sonic superiority. I got bored one day so I made them.

I’ve also used Nakamichi plugs.

those came out really nice.

great job!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts