AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded my display adapter to a faster one; replacing my old 6600GT. I also added another unrelated piece of hardware in the process (added a HDTV capture device via USB). Before these changes, I didn't have this problem.

Here's the symptom:

I'm having a very hard time figuring out what's causing my machine to lose video briefly (for a second), then when the video comes back up, the machine is locked hard. This happens every time after several hours of heavy use (no 3D games). The problem isn't overheating, since its in an airconditioned room. Something as simple as opening up my web browser can eventually trigger it.

I thought when there's insufficient power, the PC will turn off and/or only happen when there's serious 3D rendering going on.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
You are seing exactly the normal symptom caused by insufficient power.

When the voltage level drops to your video card stops outputting and this often happens with heavier use. Get your self a good 450 watt power supply.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
It is still a little on the low side;

I had a 500w PSU in mine with several USB 2 devices, several internal fans and when I upgraded my X850XT to an X1950 Pro the PSU fried two days later while I was playing a game. I now have a 750w and it has been doing just fine since I put it in about two months ago.

I think these new cards draw a lot more power than they used to so I would be really looking for a 500w or higher. You should probably contact Dell and have them recommend one for your system that is higher than what they offered you on their site.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont think there is such a thing for my PC; unless I get a custom made one or one with a custom ATX adapter. Dell doesnt carry anything higher than the stock 250w PSU. I don't have much choice here. I've already looked for hours on Google. I can't find anything for the Dell 4600 that's higher that 450W peak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio /forum/post/0

I had a 500w PSU in mine with several USB 2 devices, several internal fans and when I upgraded my X850XT to an X1950 Pro the PSU fried two days later while I was playing a game. I now have a 750w and it has been doing just fine since I put it in about two months ago.

I think these new cards draw a lot more power than they used to so I would be really looking for a 500w or higher. You should probably contact Dell and have them recommend one for your system that is higher than what they offered you on their site.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to the website below, your display adapter draws 66W at most (by it self); which is relatively low compared to other video cards. Mine draw even less power. Sounds like a heating issue with your older power supply. Maybe that website is completely wrong.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354

EDIT: I just calculated the amount of watts I will need. It was actually pretty straight forward: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp

360Watts, absolute bare minimum. For systems that will run 24/7 for 1+ years, I need to add an extra 30% because PSU start outputting less over time. My system is used as a 4 tuner HD Tivo amongst other things. So, I added another 30%

TOTAL Needed: 468Watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio /forum/post/0

·
Registered
2,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet /forum/post/0

According to the website below, your display adapter draws 66W at most (by it self); which is relatively low compared to other video cards. Mine draw even less power. Sounds like a heating issue with your older power supply. Maybe that website is completely wrong.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354

EDIT: I just calculated the amount of watts I will need. It was actually pretty straight forward: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp

360Watts, absolute bare minimum. For systems that will run 24/7 for 1+ years, I need to add an extra 30% because PSU start outputting less over time. My system is used as a 4 tuner HD Tivo amongst other things. So, I added another 30%

TOTAL Needed: 468Watts

It may very well have been a cooling issue I used a SilentX PSU because they are very quite but because of the quite fans they do tend to heat up. My new one is a Coolmax and although it is much more powerful it is much cooler to the touch and still very quite.

Sounds like that Silencer 410 Dell-2 should work for you it will just not give you much headroom for future devices.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
X-bit labs measured power consumption of your video cards:
  • GeForce 7950 GT: 61.1W (Peak 3D), 37.3W (Peak 2D), 25.8W (Idle) ( source )
  • GeForce 6600 GT: 47.9W (Peak 3D), 39.4W (Peak 2D), 18.5W (Idle) ( source )

The difference is only 61.1W - 47.9W = 13.2W. Perhaps your Dell 250W PSU was barely enough for your old system.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That seems to agree with the symptoms I'm seeing. I think this new video card just pushed it over the edge. Again, takes it takes several hours of constant use before before my machine does its thing.... blank out the screen for a second then show the video, but locked up. No matter what, it looks like I need a more powerful power

supply.

EDIT: Btw, the way that's measured power consumption during 3d rendering. Im wondering how much power consumption is being use for Overlay video with hardware decoding/processing of 1080i mpeg2 (with inverse telecine turned on). I dont play 3D games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx /forum/post/0

X-bit labs measured power consumption of your video cards:
  • GeForce 7950 GT: 61.1W (Peak 3D), 37.3W (Peak 2D), 25.8W (Idle) ( source )
  • GeForce 6600 GT: 47.9W (Peak 3D), 39.4W (Peak 2D), 18.5W (Idle) ( source )

The difference is only 61.1W - 47.9W = 13.2W. Perhaps your Dell 250W PSU was barely enough for your old system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.