AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just about ready to buy the Panasonic DMR-HS2 recorder. But I needed to see the quality of a dvd dub of a svhs tape first. So I paid for one at a local professional company. And then I realized something. I think you really should have a 4:3. I have a 65 HD Toshiba, and the choices are wide, and that really hurts the quality of the picture, or normal and there is the problem. Burn in, you buy the dvd recorder because of the hours of tape you want to save, but to watch them you risk burn in on you T.V.

So my question, what is everyone watching their brand new Panasonic DMR on? Should the size of the tv be around 50 inches and 4:3 to get the full quality and best picture from a copy of a tape on a dvd? Or will everyone end up with burn-in on their big screen 16:9 H.D. tv?

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
what are signs fo burn in?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Although the pure videophiles will flame me, I watch everything on my 65" Mits 16:9 at 16:9 on its "standard" stretch mode. I used to use the "stretch" stretch mode, but I didn't like the fish-eye effect on the edges. No burn in for me...and I don't even notice the slightly fat look anymore.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mhe4

I notice you have the panasonic recorder, your the exact person I need information from. Don't you find it disappointing that you and others

bought the DMR-HS2 to archive tapes for better quality than s-vhs and then find out you have to watch them in expanded mode or watch them with black bars on either side and sit there just waiting for the day that it will burn into your 16:9 screen. So does anyone have a way to record them into 16:9 to fit on HD screen. Or is everyone satisfied with the picture that they have that, to me seems to just bring it back to a s-vhs quality they started out with. This doesn't make too much sense.

DVandella

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't think you are ever going to get better quality than you started with. GIGO (Garbage In Garbage Out). I bought my HS2 for the time shift capabilities and to archive some old home video VHS tapes (the quality of which is questionable to begin with).

Like I said, I watch everything in stretched mode to fill my 16:9 screen with no bars. If you want something to record HD or 16:9, the HS2 is not for you...but then nothing at the moment is, except D-VHS (which I know nothing about).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.