AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, so I get my plasma TV, and for now I use my VCR as a tuner. Somewhere down the road, I will want to get something better to use (a tuner). I will not want to spend a lot of money, but I will want something that will be useful for a number of years, say five years or more.

I currently have cable (no cable box) and I watch regular TV and DVDS. My DVD player is an old nonprogressive sony unit and my VCR is even older.

I hope to be getting my plasma this next year, sooner rather than later.

Any help, suggestions will be helpful. Thanks.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
18,452 Posts
Mike..

I'd get one of the recent-model combo OTA/DirecTV tuners with the oval multisatellite dish. Being in Traverse City, this will give you the most options. Now, you can get HBO, Showtime and HDNet ( www.hd.net ) in high-definition. As your local stations start passing network HD, you'll get that, too. ( www.titantv.com to see who's on and what they're transmitting in your area... and what kind of antenna you'd need to get it)

If you go the Dish route, you can get DiscoveryHD, but not HDNet.

Unfortunately, "inexpensive" isn't going to be possible. But you bought a plasma, so $500 or more to watch HD on it is well worth the investment.

As for brand, you can pretty much pick and choose. I'd stick with the latest models, if I were you.

Good luck

Doc

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DrDon.

·
Super Moderator
18,452 Posts
No prob. Save me some cherries.

Doc

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Poor cherry crop this past summer. Glad to know somebody knows about us up here. Now if only we could get HD up here.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
One kicker on this Mike is that you'll be able to get a $200-$300 discount on the equipment for being a new subscriber. Usually requires an 8-12 month commitment, no biggie though.

Also - Dish network has CBS HD, but you have to meet one of these criteria: A) live in an owned and operated region; B) live in a 'white' area where the FCC states you cannot receive network broadcasting, or; C) get a waiver from your local CBS affiliate. This would at least let you see some network HD programming.

Lastly - it is pretty well accepted on the forum that DishNetwork has more bandwidth and commitment to HD - and with HDNet 2, 3, 4 and ESPNHD coming out in the next 6 months, this might be your best bet.

Chris

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris. I don't understand. What do you mean, get a $2-3 hundrred dallor discount for being a new subscriber? Can you explain?

Thanks..

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.