AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed an antenna in my attic that has HD capabilities. I'm running a Nec LT 150 to display the picture. Will a regular vcr act as a tuner with out losing the HD for this set up or do I need some thing else?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
There is no such animal as an HD antenna. All OTA, over the air, signals are on the standard UHF and sometimes VHF bands also used by plain old analog TV. You need a digital TV tuner often known as an STB, set top box. See the sticky thread on the first page of the HD Hardware Forum for a synopsis of available STBs. Also check out the HDTV FAQ near the top of this forum.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Its the HD tuner (STB) that has HD capability - not the antenna! If you just connect an antenna (if it says HD its just stupid advertising hoopla, its either VHF or UHF only) to a VCR or TV you will only get the old analog channels, no digital/HD channels. You need to buy a digital TV OTA tuner - either a standalone STB box or a PCI card HD tuner for a computer. The cheapest HD STBs are the Samsung SIR-T151 and the Zenith HDV420, they cost around $350.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
The 'DTV' (Digital TV) logo should be on all products that can receive HDTV signals over-the-air from your local DTV stations.

You have 4 basic options:

- A DTV STB

- A DTV/DirecTV STB

- A DTV/Dish Network STB

- A DTV PC card

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.