AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking through the threads it seems like there are issues across the board.

Is there anything that just works the way it is supposed to ?

I currently have a 56" DLP and do not want to go smaller so a 60" screen would be best for me, however I could be convinced to go with a 55 class TV if they are better.

Anti-glare screen is a must have.

Overall 2D picture quality is top priority, don't care one way or the other about 3D but is those sets are better then that is the route I will take.

·
Registered
818 Posts
No idea which has the least issues but I can tell you that I loved the picture on our Mitsubishi 52" DLP set and was hesitant to try anything else but when the bulb blew again it was time to look around.

We ended up with a Samsung 55" LN55C630 LCD and damn it looks nice. I can honestly say the picture is better than the DLP set was and even the blacks/shadow detail, after adjusting everything, is much better.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Pretty much they all just work.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Of the hundreds of thousands of TVs sold, only a small percentage come to AVS Forum to compliment or complain. These are not a representative sample of the overall buying public. You can find flaws in nearly anything if you look hard enough. My advice is go look at them and buy the one you like and can afford.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint /forum/post/19624769

I currently have a 56" DLP and do not want to go smaller so a 60" screen would be best for me, however I could be convinced to go with a 55 class TV if they are better.

Overall 2D picture quality is top priority, don't care one way or the other about 3D but is those sets are better then that is the route I will take.

As TVs gain features, including 3D, internet connectivity, etc., there are more opportunities for these kinds of peripheral cababilities to have problems.

When it comes to basic 2D performance there are many brands that perform well, including Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Vizio and others.

Some people don't place much importance on things like how the TV will work with their computer, to others, this is vital.

One way to look at it is the less you demand from your TV the less likely you will be to be disappointed. The more you demand, the more likely to disappoint.

There are models in every size that can do a very good job with 2D viewing. As to which models of LCD have an anti-glare screen, I couldn't begin to answer that, but if you have a question about a specific panel, you can probably find out if it has an anti-glare screen or not.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Honestly, I'd go plasma next time since there are far fewer BASIC screen issues ... Lcd's seem to be more of a hit/miss proposition ... with 'clouding', 'flashlighting', and common uniformity inconsistencies ...

Yes, plasma have known weaknesses (ex: less bright overall) , but the basic picture quality is WAY more 'consistent' ... most sets will not vary at all from one unit to the next.

My 02.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint /forum/post/19624769

If you want a 55-60" non-glossy screen and don't care about 3D check out the Sony EX500.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the feedback and welcome others to participate if so inclined.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts