AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of gaming with PS3 / Blu-Ray Movies, HD Cable.

Looking at the following:

Vizio VF550XVT 55" LCD

Samsung PN58B540 58" Plasma

Samsung LN52B610 52" LCD

Philips 52PFL7403 52" LCD

This is to upgrade our three year old 46" Samsung LCD.

I really like the plasma, but am concerned with issues of burn-in due to the gaming and standard def TV and the black bars.

I've spent countless hours reading reviews and threads here and I'm still at a loss for what to get.

TIA

Jason

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
There's probably no reason to tell you the cons of an LCD since you already own one and you likely know them already so after owning several plasmas and an LCD I'll give tell you what would change with your viewing off the top of my head.

1. In general, colors will be deeper on the plasma. In store plasmas almost always look "dimmer" but once you get home they won't look as dim and the colors will be richer. If you watch movies in a darkened room much this will likely be a plus for you.

2. Plasmas have an ABL (auto brightness limiter). On bright scenes or something like an all white screen a plasma will "dim" the picture so that it won't suck too much power. This is one reason why LCD fans say plasma's white levels look grayish.

3. Plasmas handle motion better. I just got a Samsung 55B650 LCD and with gaming you'll see ghosting/blurring on very fast motion that I never saw on a plasma. I don't see this on most of my games but I do see them on fast horizontal pans.

4. Plasmas don't have issues with flashlights, clouding, banding, and in general have a nice uniform screen. My B650 that I got only seems to have banding issues that is only noticeable in bright areas during motion (I don't see it on a still image).

Samsung and Panasonic plasmas have an orbiter which should help with any IR and such. I've heard that Panasonic is better with IR than the Samsung's but I'm only going off of what I've read that others have mentioned here. Personally I watched letterbox movies all the time on the plasmas that I had and never stretched 4:3 material (but never watched all that much) and during the time that I owned my plasmas (Pioneer and Panasonic) I never one time saw IR. I played games for hours at a time as well but I'm not one who played the same game in 4-8 hours sittings either.

Both plasmas and LCD have their drawbacks and their pluses. If movie watching was my priority and I was watching in the evenings I'd get a plasma. If I watched during the day mostly and had ambient lighting in my room I would get an LCD for the added brightness and the fact that the screens are typically tinted black. For gaming, the ghosting/blurring on LCDs is downfall. When I got my first plasma I bought it from Costco (when you could take the TV back at any time) because I was like you and I was afraid of IR/burn in. I figured if I started getting IR that I'd clear it up and take it back to the store LOL. At least for me it worked out fine and I never took it back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
XB1032 is correct.

The 52B610 would probably be the best choice out of your 4 listing imo.

However if you are running the ps3 for gaming and blu-rays why did you not have a Sony tv as a choice? Those things are practically calibrated for each other. Perhaps maybe a XBR9 is a good choice as well?

The plasma would definitely give you a much richer color as burn in isn't really a factor anymore.

However the LCD would make those late night resident evil's a little less scary

·
Registered
549 Posts
yeah, the new panasonic, has a built-in eraser that will clear any burn-in. I personally feel over the years panasonic has been bashed, manly by westa69, on here
but in today's market, panasonic, has almost equaled, the champ of plasma's, the kuro elite.

and for a price thats basically the best bang for your buck its hard to ignore.

LG is supposedly back in-the game with a good lcd at a good price. I would probably be happy with both shoot I be happy with a happy meal

·
Registered
6,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp /forum/post/16909789

yeah, the new panasonic, has a built-in eraser that will clear any burn-in...

You mean IR.

Burn in is permanent and while many people refer to plasmas doing this it's rarely heard of (if ever) any more on todays' plasmas (this doesn't count someone posting their buddy got burn in on a plasma and didn't mention the TV was 5 years old
).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't forget the granddaddy of all LCD flaws: off-axis viewing. Even with the highend sets. If you view the set 10-15 degrees to the left or right, there is a significant drop in contrast ratio. Not to mention the colors take on a VERY pastel look. I recently purchased a Z series Sony, and can't believe how bad the colors look when viewed even a little off-axis. But it's in a bright room with lots of windows so plasma was out of the question.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp /forum/post/16909789

yeah, the new panasonic, has a built-in eraser that will clear any burn-in. I personally feel over the years panasonic has been bashed, manly by westa69, on here
but in today's market, panasonic, has almost equaled, the champ of plasma's, the kuro elite.

and for a price thats basically the best bang for your buck its hard to ignore.

LG is supposedly back in-the game with a good lcd at a good price. I would probably be happy with both shoot I be happy with a happy meal

Read the burn-in warnings in the Panasonic plasma manuals. They must not have any faith in their "eraser".

They warn against things like viewing 4:3 material, playing video games, or watching programming that has a logo or information boxes - like sports.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm still a little weary on the brand. Vizio is a newer, budget brand. You'll find lots of good reviews on Vizio online, but I'm still a little curious on how it will last.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys.

Thanks for all of the responses. We went and narrowed it down to the two Sammy's. The 52" LCD and the 58" Plasma. Side by side I liked how much more vibrant the Plasma was compared to the LCD. Feature wise they seemed the same, and the price was only about $1200 more for the Plasma. Considering it is bigger I think we'll be happy. We got it at Sams along with their 3yr warranty. We're 'Plus' Members so we got an additional year thrown on there for free.

Setting it up tonight and moving our older 46" LCD to the bedroom. I think I'll just have the kids take it easy on the gaming until we get a couple hundred hours under our belts and calibrate it.

Jason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts