AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No Samsung's please.

Sony and Sharp, and Vizio perfectly ok so are Panasonic and LG. And 42 and smaller please.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vice2122 /forum/post/18282901

Lg lh90

No, that's edge lit.

The LHX90 is backlit, the new quad pixel Sharp, the new Panasonics are all plasma or edge, and the new big Sonys are edge. Vizio has backlit, but I have doubt as to the quality until I see one and compare.

NB, the Samsung 8500 is debatably the best backlit LCD out there at 55" (or any size) and new tvs are compared to the 8500 in the same way that plasmas are still compared to Kuros.

N...

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimiety /forum/post/18283657

No, that's edge lit.

[snip]

N...

Wrong! The LH90 line by LG is indeed back lit. It's the SL90 model that is edge lit. The 42LH90 can be had for a good price nowadays as it is last year's model and is no longer in production. Off-hand, I don't know of any other 42" or smaller fully back lit panels. Last year's Sharp's maybe - but those do not offer local dimming...

·
Registered
435 Posts
The LH90 is LED backlit.

The 40LE700 from Sharp is LED backlit, but does not local dim.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Let me clarify for the original poster: backlighting is a way to illuminate the panel from the front or side. The older generation panels used CCFL to illuminate them.

Newer gen. LED backlit panels can either be edge-lit (side), local dimming (an array of LEDs in the back of the panel), or a hybrid combination of both (we're starting to see more of these in 2010). As well, there are RGB LED backlighting options on the market (i.e. Sony XBR8).

Ice_Cold, you can go for the newer Vizios or LG's coming out soon that have local dimming options. These will be more expensive, hope you realize, but far less expensive than Samsung's recent pricing lists that were unveiled for their lineups.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Current Local Dimming Backlit LED:

Samsung B8500

Sony XBR8

LG LHX

LG LH90

Vizio 552XVT

Toshiba 670U

Future Local Dimming Backlit LED:

Toshiba ZX900

Sony HX900

LG LE9500

LG LE8500

The Sharp LE700 does not do local dimming and would not consider it in the same class as the local dimming sets.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianStyle /forum/post/18284508

Samsung B8500

Sony XBR8

LG LHX

LG LH90

Vizio 552XVT

Toshiba 670U

Toshiba ZX900

Sony HX900

LG LE9500

LG LE8500

The Sharp LE700 does not do local dimming and would not consider it in the same class as the local dimming sets.

Vizio's 55 " (551 and 552) are local dimming, the difference is whether it includes internet apps (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) or not

The same for Vizio's 471 and 472 lines for 47" LED's, local dimming as well. The xx1's are being phased out in favor of the newer versions, but are still available for less if internet apps are not your cup of tea.

I'm getting a 472 XVT VIA (internet apps) tomorrow, looks like a winner.

·
Registered
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianStyle /forum/post/18284508

Samsung B8500

Sony XBR8

LG LHX

LG LH90

Vizio 552XVT

Toshiba 670U

Toshiba ZX900

Sony HX900

LG LE9500

LG LE8500

The price tag on the Toshiba ZX900 out of Japan... $11,000+ USD

·
Registered
181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu /forum/post/18285325

Vizio's 55 " (551 and 552) are local dimming, the difference is whether it includes internet apps (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) or not

Did I say somewhere that the 551 and 552 are not local dimming? Were you just adding information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyorsammy /forum/post/18285368

The price tag on the Toshiba ZX900 out of Japan... $11,000+ USD

Yes, the ZX900 is probably the best LCD money can buy right now. It makes use of the cell processor (Same proc in a PS3) and has the most LEDs and dimming zones (I believe 550+ range) of any tv to date. However, all that comes at that hefty price you mentioned.

Since Samsung is not releasing a LED back-lit local dimming TV for 2010 and Panasonic still have not fixed their brightening issue. I would definitely look into the Sony or LG tvs for this year.

The Sony prices listed at J&R seem very reasonable, but the biggest size they have available is still 52" and their is a claim that it will have the same number of zones as the xbr-8. All that combined make me think the LG will be the winner for this year.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't believe I wrote Edge Lite and no one has called me out on it.

Lite because its less filling.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.bennett /forum/post/18287908

Must not... buy....it. I have the money but I didnt want to spend more than $1500. How great is the XBR8... pretty great huh?

I wonder if the XBR8 is worth ~$700 more than the Vizio SV472XVT which is LED back lit with local dimming:

http://www.vizio.com/sv472xvt.html

Sams Club and Costco have it. $1280 at Sams.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Quote:

Must not... buy....it. I have the money but I didnt want to spend more than $1500. How great is the XBR8... pretty great huh?

Just do it haha.. In my opinion the set is amazing. My uncle has one of these and it blows my Z5100 series out of the water. Just really expensive though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18288092

I wonder if the XBR8 is worth ~$700 more than the Vizio SV472XVT which is LED back lit with local dimming:

http://www.vizio.com/sv472xvt.html

Sams Club and Costco have it. $1280 at Sams.

I believe the XBR8 is worth it, for the type of LEDs that are used in it. It uses red, green, and blue LEDs. While I think the Vizio uses only one color LED (white?).

From what I have heard the color spectrum on the XBR8 is much larger than TVs that only use white LEDs.

·
Banned
407 Posts

Quote:

GREAT, AS IN THE BEST LCD to date.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosepass2 /forum/post/18289203

GREAT, AS IN THE BEST LCD to date.

People come to my house and are stunned by the picture quality of the 55XBR8. Tri-Luminous LED backlighting with 127 zones of local dimming. Very bright with very deep blacks. This was an over-engineered television (with a hefty price) but nothing out there has even come close to its picture quality. It was a 2008 model and they are still out there but getting harder to find.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianStyle /forum/post/18287079

Did I say somewhere that the 551 and 552 are not local dimming? Were you just adding information?

Wow.
I noticed you hadn't included the 471,2 and the 551, so was just adding info, not challenging knowledge. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold /forum/post/18287134

I can't believe I wrote Edge Lite and no one has called me out on it.

Lite because its less filling.

I can't believe you said no Samsungs, but you'll take a Vizio, cause that makes sense...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts