AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large rec room with a home theater at one end. I'm using Lutron Spacer dimmers with a master control to control four zones. The Spacer gives you four "scenes" in addition to "all on" and "all off"

I've been thinking about the following scenes:
  • All on (when I'm not watching movies)
  • All off (for watching movies)
  • Dim (trailers/paused movie)
  • Games (XBox)
  • Party (lights on in parts of the basement away from the theater)
  • One more????

What scenes do you have in your theater?

--Burke

·
Registered
264 Posts
We currently have for out GE:

- All on.

- Movie (all off, accept rope lighting around ceiling)

- Movie+ (all off, accept rope lighting and back scounces, in case my wife or I lose interest in a movie the other case read or do something else)

- Intermission (all raised about 1/2 way)

- Game

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Mine for my Grafik Eye are about the same as Matt's, with the exception of having one as a walk-in setting. All recessed lights are on full for walk-in. For movie, all recessed are off and the rope and sconces are dim, I also have another setting that I use if I want to be able to talk to somebody during a movie or watching HDTV which has the rope lights and sconces as well as the back recessed lights on dim, so we can see each other. This is also good if you need to do something like see the controllers for playing a game (when I have a game console that I borrow anyway). Then, there is the intermission and movie over setting, which has all about halfway, except the rope lights. The cool thing about the Grafik Eye is that there are 12 more scenes that I can do, that I can get to through the Pronto, so if I think of more settings, I will add them to the extra slots.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have a Grafik Eye with the following scenes

1. "All on" - at 100% - for cleaning, finding the remotes in the couch...

2. "Set-up/start movie" - recessed cans over equipment at 100%

3. "Watch movie" - all off

4. "Intermission" - most lights at 50%

5. "Room ambience" - different zones at varied intensity to show off room

I love to watch the light levels fade between scenes, what fun!!!

Reed.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Uh-oh. You mentioned a master controller. I just bought 2 spacer dimmers thinking ill use my pronto to control 2 zones. Im now wondering if both dimmers will have the same IR freq? That would mean I couldnt dim them independently. Anyone know the answer? Im rocking the walls this sunday and think I may now need to change that switch box from a 3 to a 4 to include space for a master controller.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Careful on the Lutron Spacers.

There are two models:

The SP and the SPS. The SP models are single IR remote controlled and cannot be integrated into any type of coordinated system. I made this mistake, buying two of them on E-Bay, before I found a Grafik Eye 3106. They operate on the same IR code, so if you put two in a gang box, you can't independently control them.

The SPS models are the ones that you buy with the master controller, and you can setup scenes with these.

I'll probably end up using my SP's in other locations as standard dimmers.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have 10 scenes: all on, all off, intermission, movie starts in: 45, 30, 20, 15, 10, 5 and 2 minutes. The movie start time scenes, along with the walkout lighting scene and the intermission start/end are co-ordinated with music sound tracks from this cd . People who watch a movie for the first time in my theater get a kick out of the lights slowly coming back on, movie credits running and the announcement to 'drive home safely'!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I bought the simple dimmer and just have all on and dimmed or all off.

I still haven't decided on going with all off or dimmed for movies. When I say dimmed they are VERY dim, just adding ambiance to the walls.

I have a seperate on / off switch for my rope lights and chair lights, basically I turn them all on when I walk in and dim the lights when I start the movie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.