AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kinda lost with my new 606.

I'm used to using Auto Format Decode that was on my Sony receiver - never had to worry about changing the setting - it just adjusted to work best with whatever it had playing.

I'm using 2 players for movies: My PS3 connected via HDMI, and my xbox360 connected via component and optical.

I get most of my movies via netflix, so I don't have the packaging to look at to see what the audio format is.

Tonight I was watching "Gone Baby Gone" and starting hitting the [Movie/TV] button on the remote. I was looking for Direct or PCM so I could just get a pure signal, and get how the movie was intended to sound. I don't want to feel like I'm in a concert hall just 'cause it's a cool effect.

I tried Dolby PLII for a while, but it was pretty soft. I had it turned up to 50 and it sounded like it was only coming through the center channel. The best I heard was Multichannel - but I'm not sure what that means.

Any suggestions? Would it be different when using the PS3 and the 360 because of the how the audio is coming through?

Thanks a ton for any insight!

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
The way most PS3's are configured, all soundtracks will be sent as multichannel PCM. For multichannel PCM, the Multichannel listening mode is the best for a 5.1 setup and PLIIx is the best for a 7.1 setup. You can press the Display button on your 606 remote to see what kind of signal you're receiving. If you're not receiving 5.1 or 7.1 from your PS3, then redo the PS3 sound setup selecting the HDMI connector and choosing automatic configuration, even if you set it to automatic previously. Also, make sure you selected the best soundtrack available on the disk in the disk's main menu.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts