AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious. I know this reeks of a novice question but how much better is the projected image quality of a internal DVD player from a pc than an external DVD player hooked up to a projector via component video? Is the difference nominal, moderate or substantial in your expert opinions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
1) HTPC outputs progressive signal in PJ's native resolution and thus avoids PJ's inferior scaling and deinterlacing errors.

2) Aspect control, zoom, and moving image around screen is helpful for less perfect installation or screen setup (zoomplayer, theatertek, YxY).

3) Functions as doubler and scaler for Svideo sources too using Dscaler software and Svideo capture card.

4) Cheaper way to get into HDTV (HDTV card is cheaper than STB HDTV receiver).

5) Big screen games and computing (MP3, DVD-R, websurfing, etc.)

6) Cheaper way to have SDI interface (SDI modded STB DVD players, TIVO, or HDTV receiver into SDI capture card) for all digital solutions (better image).

7) Easy HT use of business PJ machines with only VGA input. You'll need VGA->component transcoder ($100 for RCA VDC-300 or $120 Audio Authority 9A60) to change HTPC VGA to component.

8) More color and gamma tweaks (helpful to be able to adjust image at PJ and HTPC level).

9) Offers SPDIF output for DD/DTS (5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 is only limited by your receiver's decoding ability) or software decoding into 6, 7, or 8 channel amp.

10) Near-TIVO capability with right software and hardware.

·
Registered
254 Posts
If it is done right... The picture difference is noticable. The PC DVD image on a decent projector is almost 3D like in appearance.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am sort of a newbie myself at this, but I put together an HTPC based on what I have read here, and the picture quality blows away the picture from the S-output on my RCA DVD player.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.