AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m relatively new to the whole HT hobby, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. I just ordered a Da-lite Model B deluxe which as a college student, is really all I can afford. But I wondered is the PQ and CR that much better on screens that cost a bunch more? By the way, I love this forum, I think all HT is so neat and wish I had discovered this earlier.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wish I knew! I know you can buy the material itself for between $3 and $21 per square foot. Many people build their own with the professional material, or use paint on blackout cloth, etc.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Shipping costs for a screen are tremendous... they do not weigh much but the price is based on volume weight and for larger screens couriers do not ship over a certain size.

When I get a DIY'er that wants to save a bit of coin I order the screen material... either with just a velcro border... or with the snap studs. and supply extra snap studs for their DIY frame... Rule of thumb when aligning the snap studs is to add 1/4" for each snap stud to properly stretch the fabric. This can save some money....and yield great results.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
derrick,

MSRP for Stewart's materials are $19/sq ft for standard materials and $65/sq ft for microperf.

Regards,

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
When I went to the local Tweeter and inquired they politely informed me it was over $5000.00! But, packaged with their PJ I could get both for only $10,500 and the assurrance that would be the "Best" video solution in the store.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Because that's what people are willing to pay.

Supply = Demand

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Untensioned screens suffer from ripples which are distracting on non retro-reflective screens. Permanant wall screens and tab tensioned retractables avoid this problem.

Compared to what gets spent elsewhere in a nice home theater, $1K to make the ripples go away is not a lot of money.

If you'd rather build something, you can achieve the same thing or better for a lot les money. If you don't need positive gain, you can use a white opaque fabric (blackout cloth) streatched over a home-made frame or paint any flat surface (1/8" hard board would work). If you do need gain, you can buy Goo. Or buy some one's fabric by the square foot with gromets/snaps and build a frame. You could even build a frame for the guts of your roll-down screen.

Shipping cost isn't really significant here - I got charged about $70 for drop shipping my 87x49" screen from Stewart. It's more a market issue - video projection for home theaters is a high-end niche market.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
What makes a screen worth over $1000.?

Because anyone can .....charge what they want.

More important,how many can or will pay it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.