Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just discovered this board and have spent a couple of weeks lurking, trying to grasp the enormity of the FP options out there. I'm looking to get in at the bottom, preferably under $2k for my first LCD/DLP projector (either new or used). Unfortunately, at the bottom it seems like there are a lot of models that are probably not good choices for HT, but which are fine for conference rooms.

So, the question I have is, given a make and model, what's the best way to determine its suitability for HT? I've seen a number of used projectors in my range, but when I search the forums here, I often get nothing. Maybe that means no one here is using it. Maybe it means it's just not as popular. Maybe it's an older model. Maybe I just typed the wrong search key. It's hard to say, just from searching this forum.

I can go to the manufacturer's site and get the specs, but that often doesn't tell the whole story. Are there some minimum brightness/contrasts I should consider? I assume these are different for LCD and DLP projectors? Are there other minimum requirements to help weed out projectors that won't cut it in a home theater?

I can also go to projectorcentral.com, which has a lot of specs on different projectors. But often they're missing info on which formats the projector supports, and that's something I'd want to know before seriously considering one. Are there other potential sources of specs and features of various models? Sometimes even the manufacturers' sites are maddeningly vague on this!

I've done google searches on models, but generally come up with a few for sale, and not much in the way of reviews or hard info. Are there good home theater-oriented review sites to check? I haven't found much beyond projectorcentral.com.

Finally, there are other forums, but those mostly seem to point back here as the source of all information on FP. I've found very little good information elsewhere (which I guess says good things about AVS!) Am I missing something?

I realize these are general questions, since I haven't said much about what I'm looking for, but I suspect a lot of others looking to get into FP at the low end are experiencing similar issues. Maybe we can compile a list of resources for newcomers. Maybe such a thing already exists and I've missed it (entirely possible!)

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction!

Aaron

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You might wanna check out www.thebigpicturedvd.com Here you can look under the HardWare Forum and then select individual forums conversing about all types of CRT/LCD/DiLA projectors.

------------------

Darren from Kansas City

·
Registered
505 Posts
I would suggest using the search engine. If you don't see anything mentioned it may mean that no one has tried it or it is unusable.

For you price range I would look at Davis DL450 (SVGA) or clones. NEC LT100 (XGA) or clones assuming you are not sensitive to rainbows. You unfortunately just missed the buy of the year Dell deal on LT150's. I did see a post on the forum for LT150's in the $2250 price range I think. You might consider this. I am sure there are others that I am leaving out.

Good luck and remember once you go FP you'll never go back (or is it Rear).

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
For under $2k, there are some excellent used CRT pj's (excellent in relation to DLP/LCD, of course).

You'll have to develop some calibration skills, but If you don't care about their size/weight and can control your room's ambient light, you should look into it.

[This message has been edited by Jones_Rush (edited 08-23-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.