AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Is it a well built driver in a generic box?

Is at a generic driver in a carefully planned box?

Is it the properly planned environment, even if the box and sub are not of highest quality?

I am curious what is the largest contributing factor for great bass. I know there are plenty of pre-built solutions which excell, such as SVS. But what makes SVS so great? Is it the an extremely high quality driver? Is it just a typical driver with great engineering in the proper box?

I have a 2860 cu/ft room with extra wide doorframes (w/o doors) that leas into other large rooms. aka this is not a sealed room, nor is it completely square/rectangle.

I have heard the $500 svs compared to a $200 polk. and it wow'd me for the price difference. the cleanliness and powerfulness of the woofer for the price difference was easily 10x better.

I love my bass, and when I play my music/movies. I like to drown out the world around me, put concerts to shame. With this, my first consideration was 2 stereo integrity HT18's, with 2 separate WELL BUILT boxes. I'd most likely hire these out to a professional to engineer them for me, unless someone already has optimal plans floating around somewhere already that I can simply copy.

I've never heard one of these specific driver yet, though I have heard the BM MKIII in a car and have great opinions of it.

Rather than explain all my thoughts on this, which are most likely misguided and completely wrong. I'd like to start from scratch here. 

What are the prime contributors to great subwoofers? All parts make up a great package, but I assume there is a point where, if you go wrong here, no matter what you do in other areas, you cannot compensate for it.

Is that as stated above, a quality driver, a quality box, or a quality amplifier to drive them? 

P.S. help me choose a great woofer for my noted room size.

EDIT: I currently only own a pair of Wharfedale Jade 3 with matching stands.

·
Registered
951 Posts
your post is very confusing. Are you asking for recommendations on manufactured subs? Or are you looking to build your own? If so, you should post in the DIY forum. Either way, you will need to add some information, such as:

budget

use? % for movies and % for music

Cheers

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Well what makes a sub sound great is everything that's involved. A good driver, a well built appropriately sized enclosure and the amp are all very important. BUT it doesn't end there your room has a lot to do with how a sub will sound. Placement is everything, with proper sub placement and proper main listening position (MLP) placement, and number of subs are just as important as the sub itself. So for your room I would say you need a minimum of 2 high powered ported subs. A few pre built subs that come to mind are: SVS PB2000, PSA XV15, PSA XV30, HSU VTF-15H, Rythmik FV15HP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.