AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What media server software and client hardware / software do you use? Why?

After trying Kodi, Plex, and Emby, I bought into Emby. The overall design decisions and responsiveness to user feedback met my goals. But recent updates break more features than they fix. I’m trying to figure out if I ride it out and hope that the broken features come back quickly, as the devs hint at.

Maybe I need to switch to a different streaming hardware device, away from all-purpose Win10 server/client?

Or change my server and / or client software.

What do you use? How’s it work? What’s the killer feature and biggest problem?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
What don't you like about Plex? It's very similar to Emby in a lot of ways but IMO a more mature platform. I use it with an Nvidia Shield as a client. I also have an Apple TV 4K connected to Plex via MrMC.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
The Emby apps on anything except a PC are usually inferior to Plex. Like you said the patches usually break as much as they fix.

The userbase of Plex dwarfs Emby. Just look at the app store install numbers.

A lot of people here do use Emby due to its roots as Media Browser for WMC. I stopped when they kept breaking the Android app and failed to provide offline sync.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What don't you like about Plex? It's very similar to Emby in a lot of ways but IMO a more mature platform. I use it with an Nvidia Shield as a client. I also have an Apple TV 4K connected to Plex via MrMC.
Emby has so many fun and useful features for movie library browsing and viewing, the Plex lacks. Plex is utilitarian, and Kodi (when I tried it in 2016) was inexplicable. Emby has solid support for external players — so I can get 3D MKV playback in MPC-HC or ISO in PowerDVD. It has support for user-defined Collections, multiple audio tracks (Film track and Commentary, etc) and multiple file versions (Theatrical, directors, etc).

Plex doesn’t do any of that.

All that said, Emby streaming on iPad is not good. Though the AppleTV has been pretty good so far.

Presently, Plex Player doesn’t work right on my PC. At quick try, Plex on my iPad is great. But Plex Server interprets all the local extras Emby supports as library entries, so its library is a mess.

There’s a Kodi player for Emby, if I understand, that I want to check out.

====

Additionally, Win10 is proving to be a belligerent host for a player. It’s not meeting WAF, and requires constant vigilance to keep working. I’m thinking more about getting a streaming box to serve as playback front end. But I need Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD support.

So I’m wondering also what folks use for hardware clients.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Emby has so many fun and useful features for movie library browsing and viewing, the Plex lacks. Plex is just so utilitarian, and Kodi (when I tried it in 2016) was inexplicable. Emby has solid support for external players ? so I can get 3D MKV playback in MPC-HC or ISO in PowerDVD. It has support for user-defined Collections, multiple audio tracks (Film track and Commentary, etc) and multiple file versions (Theatrical, directors, etc).

Plex doesn?t do any of that.

All that said, Emby streaming on iPad is not good. Though the AppleTV has been pretty good so far.

Presently, Plex Player doesn?t work right on my PC. At quick try, Plex on my iPad is great. But Plex Server interprets all the local extras Emby supports as library entries, so its library is a mess.

There?s a Kodi player for Emby, if I understand, that I want to check out.

====

Additionally, Win10 is proving to be a belligerent host for a player. It?s not meeting WAF, and requires constant vigilance to keep working. I?m thinking more about getting a streaming box to serve as playback front end. But I need Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD support.

So I?m wondering also what you use for hardware clients?
Plex definitely supports user defined collections and multiple audio tracks. Support for multiple video versions would be nice.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plex definitely supports user defined collections and multiple audio tracks. Support for multiple video versions would be nice.
User-defined collections are brand new to Plex, announced a week ago on Dec 29. The feature is only available to subscribers right now. Even support pages for it are hidden behind a paywall.

I can’t find any way to select audio tracks in Plex player on Windows or iPad.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
User-defined collections are brand new to Plex, announced a week ago on Dec 29. The feature is only available to subscribers right now. Even support pages for it are hidden behind a paywall.

I can?t find any way to select audio tracks in Plex player on Windows or iPad.
You've been able to make collections for ages, they just added a few more features recently. Just go to a title in Plex web, then edit, then tags, and there is an option to add it to a collection. I'm pretty sure this is not a plex pass only feature (at least it didn't used to be). As for selecting audio tracks, if you go to a title on the iPad, scroll down and you should see an option to select the audio and subtitle track of your choice.

Also, if extras are screwing up your Plex library, you'll want to check out this: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201375253-Excluding-New-Content-with-plexignore?mobile_site=true

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You've been able to make collections for ages, they just added a few more features recently. Just go to a title in Plex web, then edit, then tags, and there is an option to add it to a collection. I'm pretty sure this is not a plex pass only feature (at least it didn't used to be). As for selecting audio tracks, if you go to a title on the iPad, scroll down and you should see an option to select the audio and subtitle track of your choice.
Plex Collections was a library filter mechanism, not a collection view as in Emby. I didn’t understand it, and it didn’t do the job I wanted like Emby’s Collections does.

Collections have been overhauled, but the new approach isn’t out to everyone. Plex’s official blog tells me it’s only for Plex Pass customers currently.
https://www.plex.tv/blog/beginning-look-lot-like-collections/

I’’m eager to try the update when it’s out for free trial. :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
NFS shares using HaneWIN NFS Server on an older PC. For clients I use Kodi, 2 via Chromeboxes running LibreELEC, 1 KL Intel NUC running windows 10, and a KL Asrock Beebox running Windows 10.

Pretty much works issue free for me, although I don't have an Atmos or DTS-X setup, receiver displays them when watching a movie with those audio tracks.

I watch all my 1:1 4K rips using PowerDVD 17 updated to latest build on my KL devices.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NFS shares using HaneWIN NFS Server on an older PC. For clients I use Kodi, 2 via Chromeboxes running LibreELEC, 1 KL Intel NUC running windows 10, and a KL Asrock Beebox running Windows 10.

Pretty much works issue free for me, although I don't have an Atmos or DTS-X setup, receiver displays them when watching a movie with those audio tracks.

I watch all my 1:1 4K rips using PowerDVD 17 updated to latest build on my KL devices.
What server software do you use?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm running both Plex and Emby on an Unraid server and I am using Nvida Shield as my client. I have the Plex and Emby clients in the Shield as well as Kodi. About 90% of my viewing is Anime and for that I prefer Kodi because I can skip intro and outro chapters with a single click. Emby and Plex take a bit more effort on that front.

I use the Emby plug-in for Kodi so that it makes use of Emby's scrapers and indexing. When I first got the shield last February, the Emby app would not pass through my MKV files with HD audio. Both the Plex app and Kodi had no problems. Recently I tried the Emby app again and now it passes HD audio fine. I guess for me an update actually fixed sonething.
I have both Emby Premier and Plex Pass.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Emby Server running on WHS2011
W7MC / Emby WMC clients
Emby app for Samsung TV and Roku

I am long time MediaBrowser user so that's mostly why. Everyone in the house is used to the MB UI.

We seem to be at a transition point. Our HTPCs are now used 99% for TV/DVR and we're using streaming apps for movies/music now more than playing movies/music we've ripped. The exception seems to be Christmastime when we watch a lot of holiday specials we have stored or Star Wars :). Even with that, we've recently started using the Emby app on the TV or Roku more than Emby Classic in WMC.

I bought an Emby subscription to try LiveTV in Emby Theater but given that you have to scroll from channel 2 all the way down to 700+ one channel at a time instead of either being able to page or put in the number there's no way anyone in the house would use it so it's WMC for TV for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: ShoutingMan

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Plex. I'm a lifetime member of Emby, back when it cost $10 or $20. I fired it up again a week or two ago and found it crashing on my Roku when I tried to use live TV, and when I asked for help I got the standard "send us the logs" attitude, even though I posted a sanitized portion of the log showing the crash. So, the app doesn't work and the support makes me angry, so I shut it back down again. And why did I not post the logs? They contain sensitive information, and all I really wanted to know is if it was a common issue, as it was working at one point, then an upgrade pushed down and killed it.

And, FWIW, I was a Media Browser user all the way from MB1 to MB3, then Emby of course. So we were used to it, I have lots of experience with it, but it's simply not worth the hassle. Plex just "works".

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
And, FWIW, I was a Media Browser user all the way from MB1 to MB3, then Emby of course. So we were used to it, I have lots of experience with it, but it's simply not worth the hassle. Plex just "works".
Agree to the above. Took a while to switch to plex but once I did I haven't looked back. Use it on both the rokus and the sheild.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Windows 10 with Plex on a custom i5 build, all purpose server/NAS/HTPC. Plex is still buggy, but it has gotten much better in the last year. I think they still have two clients for Windows, one is the x86 and the other is a Universal app. It's very confusing. I'm still launching MPC for times Plex won't play correctly. I'm still on the fence about buying the lifetime pass, but we just cancelled cable TV and I may try to stick a tuner in there and see if Plex will handle my TV guide and DVR.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Using Kodi as a client, don't really have a "server" per se, just one of my HTPCs has file shares and does recording via WMC. Also have a NAS that serves movie/music collection via SMB shares and an HDHR Prime network tuner for live TV.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm running both Plex and Emby on an Unraid server and I am using Nvida Shield as my client. I have the Plex and Emby clients in the Shield as well as Kodi. About 90% of my viewing is Anime and for that I prefer Kodi because I can skip intro and outro chapters with a single click. Emby and Plex take a bit more effort on that front.

I use the Emby plug-in for Kodi so that it makes use of Emby's scrapers and indexing. When I first got the shield last February, the Emby app would not pass through my MKV files with HD audio. Both the Plex app and Kodi had no problems. Recently I tried the Emby app again and now it passes HD audio fine. I guess for me an update actually fixed sonething.
I have both Emby Premier and Plex Pass.
You’re using the Kodi player with Emby Server? If so, I was reading about that recently, but haven’t tried it yet.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts