AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen.../?intcmp=features#/slide/jeremy-sisto-titanic
I found this little slideshow interesting to be sure!
Mel Gibson was offered the Terminator role before Arnold Schwarzenegger
Will Smith for Neo before Keanu Reeves
Tom Selleck for Indiana Jones before Harrison Ford
Bill Murray for Forrest Gump before Tom Hanks
etc

Funny to think how these iconic performances would have been vastly different! Interesting to think if the movies would still have had the same impact with the lead actor swap?

·
Registered
27,684 Posts
Mel Gibson was offered the Terminator role before Arnold Schwarzenegger
The Terminator role was written for Lance Henriksen.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
I like Will Smith but back then when the first Matrix came out I don't think he had done anything but comedy type roles, I just can't picture him in it at all. I can hear him yelling, "you want me to take this blue pill!?!?!?!?" or something like that.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
The Terminator role was written for Lance Henriksen.
And iirc Arnold was James Cameron's first choice for Kyle Reese.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I like Will Smith but back then when the first Matrix came out I don't think he had done anything but comedy type roles, I just can't picture him in it at all. I can hear him yelling, "you want me to take this blue pill!?!?!?!?" or something like that.
He actually turned it down to do Wild Wild West

He had already done ID4, MIB and Enemy of the State

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If I recall correctly, Will Smith turned down the role of Neo so he could star in Wild Wild West.

YUP! From IMDB:

"Will Smith turned down the lead role in The Matrix (1999) to star in this movie (Wild Wild West) being a fan of the television series. He later said this was the worst decision he made in his career."

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Al Pacino turned down Han Solo. Imagine if Harrison Ford missed out on Star Wars and Indiana Jones!

·
Registered
29,956 Posts
Meg Ryan turned down the part of Clarice Starling in Silence of the Lambs so she could work with Tom Hanks in Joe vs the Volcano.

·
Registered
27,684 Posts
Eric Stoltz instead of Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future Trilogy.
Stoltz didn't turn down the part. He was fired after a few weeks of filming, and Michael J. Fox had to reshoot all his scenes.

Harvey Keitel was the original lead in Apocalypse Now. Martin Sheen had to reshoot his footage.

Keitel also shot several scenes with Jennifer Jason Leigh as supporting characters in Eyes Wide Shut. When Keitel wasn't available to do reshoots, Stanley Kubrick recast both roles and started over.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts