AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade the hard drive in my DWD490RE. I want to get a 120GB Seagate w/ 8MB cache. Will model ST3120024A work?

Can some one who has done a 120GB Seagate update please post the model number used and any comments regarding the drive?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

Of my 5 UTVs I've upgraded 3 of them. Two with WD 1200AB drives and One with a Seagate 80GB drive Barracuda IV (with Fluid Bearings)

The 120GB Seagate hadn't been available till late last year (2002) so the 80GB drive was my option. (I wanted a "silent" upgrade, and other 120GB drives were still expensive)

The 80GB Seagate was my first UTV upgrade and it went well. Shortly afterwords I upgraded the others with the WD drives and they cost the same and sound almost the same as the original 40GB Segate drive. (I did/do like the seagate Fluid Bearings...) For the most part you can't tell the difference however...

I'm glad I went with the "better" drive for the bedroon UTV at least...

As far as I know if you buy the 120GB IDE Seagate drive you should be set to go... Seagate seems to offer ATA Security on all their drives. (My assumption)

I haven't heard of anyone using a modern Seagate drive (40GB and up) that didn't work on the UTV. (Be sure it is set as a MASTER however)

Last I checked at Best Buy the retail box Seagate 120GB drive (ST3120024A ?) they offer is rather expensive under $200...

Unless you want the brand and performance (7200 and 8MB cache), a cheaper drive can perform the same (5400 and 2mb cache) AND the UTV will not notice...

120GB Maxtors have been going with rebate under $100... Other WD and Samsung drives have also been in the 100ish range...

Shop around... I'd love another Seagate... but I'll wait until I find one at the right price.

Later,

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, this unit lives in my bedroom and is too loud. That's the reason I'm looking at the Seagate. They have it at NewEgg.com for $135, looks like free ground shipping. Seems like a decent price. Thanks for the opinion and info. I think I'll pull the trigger and order it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just to add in my 2 cents ... I agree with everything David said about the Seagate Barracuda IV. I followed his lead and installed that drive in my bedroom UTV about a year ago. Love it ... no high frequency whines (at least that I can hear) and I sleep with it every night. :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.