AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any at all. After receiving the MyHD card it was determined that my ABIT BX6 rev. 2 motherboard does not work well with 3.3V pci cards. So now I need a new motherboard and cpu.

I have seen a few people post who are having the same issues I did. What I would like to hear from are the other users who have the MyHD card working flawlessly. I tried the MyHD card with a P4 computer and it installed fine but still there were digital artifacts about every two minutes eventhough my signal strength was at max.

So if you aren't experiencing any issues whatsoever would you mind posting your mobo/cpu/video card/hdd for me. I am trying to figure out what will work well with the MyHD card.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've got the MyHD running great on an Asus P4S533 with P4 2.0ghz and 256meg ram.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
PJ,

I'm using MyHD with an Asus P4t motherboard.

â€I tried the MyHD card with a P4 computer and it installed fine but still there were digital artifacts about every two minutes eventhough my signal strength was at max.â€

There can be any number of reasons for dropouts that are unrelated to the receiver card such as poorly aimed antenna, weather conditions, airplanes in the signal path, excessive multipath, low antenna gain, loose coax cable connections, problems with station encoder, and/or problems with network feed to station.

I get dropouts when a car (van) drives thru the parking lot in front of my ground level antenna. For example last night I was getting dropouts from CBS that was corrected by the station engineer after some 30 minutes.

You can’t really rely on the signal strength meter to determine the quality of the received FM signal.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson
PJ,

You can’t really rely on the signal strength meter to determine the quality of the received FM signal.
Gotcha...thanks Cliff.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dizzy and Cliff. There is one thing that constantly confuses me when looking at motherboards right now. It appears that some of the P4 motherboards can take PC133 ram while others force you to use Rambus. What should I be looking for in a motherboard's specs that would assure me that I could use my current 512 megs of crucial PC133 ram?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Unfortunately, those 133 memory chips will drag down P4 performance sooner or later when you buy higher P4 upgrades. May be time to trade in for DDR or Rambus.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I'd stick to a motherboard that uses DDR ram for a few reasons...

1. DDR is cheaper than Rambus

2. the speed difference really won't matter since the cards you're buying (video, HD, etc.) do most of the work

3. I've seen the Intel roadmap, and there isn't any Rambus support for the chips coming out AFTER the 533 FSB ones. (Northwood-B's)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
For what it is worth.

I am using 2 machines with 2 MYHD cards and both work flawlessly.

Machine #1:

Asus P4T-E with 1.8 Ghz P4 and 512 MB of Rambus memory

ATI 7200 Video card

2 Maxtor 60GB ATA100 drives on a Fastrack TX2 Raid 0 controller.

Machine #2:

Asus CUSL2-C with 866 Mhz P3 and 256MB memory (I forget which kind)

Matrox G400 Video card

Single Maxtor 60GB ATA100 drive on the Maxtor ATA100 card.

Both machines have their own separate WD 40GB boot drive with XP installed.

The Maxtor's are dedicated to recording.

Joe

·
Registered
371 Posts
anyone successfully running the MyHD with a 440BX chipset motherboard? The manual of my Asus P3B-F says its PCI slots are rev 2.2, but I wonder if it will have problems with the MyHD.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.