Registered
175 Posts
IMG_1340.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
693 Posts
On Dangerous Ground (1951) DVD, TCM: Noir Alley

One of noir's most soulful and poetic expressions of hope and redemption.

Stars: Ida Lupino, Robert Ryan, Ward Bond. Directors: Nicholas Ray, Ida Lupino (uncredited). Lupino also took the directing reigns when Nicholas Ray took ill. Ida Lupino was so talented as an actress ,writer , producer and director . And of course Robert Ryan is superb . The performances of Ryan and Lupino, the cinematography, and Bernard Herrmann's great score highlight this classic RKO picture. Just an excellent, underrated picture from one of cinema's great filmmakers. Highly recommended viewing. 9/10

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
R.I.P.D - 3D (2013) - Robert Schwentke directs. Jeff Bridges, Ryan Reynolds, Kevin Bacon, Mary-Louise Parker, Stéphanie Szostak and Marisa Miller.

While not the most original story (borrowing from MIB and Ghostbusters) it was entertaining enough in 3D. Based on a Dark Horse comic Rest In Peace Department by Peter M. Lenkov. You get the usual Ryan Reynolds one-liners and quips plus Jeff Bridges' western marshal left over from True Grits. Ravaged by the critics but I liked it more the second time around.

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
R.I.P.D - 3D (2013) - Robert Schwentke directs. Jeff Bridges, Ryan Reynolds, Kevin Bacon, Mary-Louise Parker, Stéphanie Szostak and Marisa Miller.

While not the most original story (borrowing from MIB and Ghostbusters) it was entertaining enough in 3D. Based on a Dark Horse comic Rest In Peace Department by Peter M. Lenkov. You get the usual Ryan Reynolds one-liners and quips plus Jeff Bridges' western marshal left over from True Grits. Ravaged by the critics but I liked it more the second time around.
ha ha Gonna finally watch his TG (2010) t'night. Hardta believe it's been nine years.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
On Dangerous Ground (1951) DVD, TCM: Noir Alley

One of noir's most soulful and poetic expressions of hope and redemption.

Stars: Ida Lupino, Robert Ryan, Ward Bond. Directors: Nicholas Ray, Ida Lupino (uncredited). Lupino also took the directing reigns when Nicholas Ray took ill. Ida Lupino was so talented as an actress ,writer , producer and director . And of course Robert Ryan is superb . The performances of Ryan and Lupino, the cinematography, and Bernard Herrmann's great score highlight this classic RKO picture. Just an excellent, underrated picture from one of cinema's great filmmakers. Highly recommended viewing. 9/10

You saw it this morning like me...lol
I enjoy that TCM gives the history of the film before and after.

·
Registered
693 Posts

·
Registered
7,201 Posts

Director: Steven Soderbergh
Stars: Gina Carano, Ewan McGregor, Michael Fassbender
IMO totally underrated film .

First time watching it. That was pretty good !!!! :)

Best Quote: :D

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Stranger on a Train One of Hitchcock's best. Unique story line.

A psychopath forces a tennis star to comply with his theory that two strangers can get away with murder.

Director:
Alfred Hitchcock
Writers:
Raymond Chandler (screen play), Czenzi Ormonde (screen play) |
Stars:
Farley Granger, Robert Walker, Ruth Roman

The story concerns two strangers who meet on a train, a young tennis player and a charming psychopath. The psychopath suggests that because they each want to "get rid" of someone, they should "exchange" murders, and that way neither will be caught. The psychopath commits the first murder, then tries to force the tennis player to complete the bargain.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Stranger on a Train One of Hitchcock's best. Unique story line.

A psychopath forces a tennis star to comply with his theory that two strangers can get away with murder.

Director:
Alfred Hitchcock
Writers:
Raymond Chandler (screen play), Czenzi Ormonde (screen play) |
Stars:
Farley Granger, Robert Walker, Ruth Roman

The story concerns two strangers who meet on a train, a young tennis player and a charming psychopath. The psychopath suggests that because they each want to "get rid" of someone, they should "exchange" murders, and that way neither will be caught. The psychopath commits the first murder, then tries to force the tennis player to complete the bargain.
Sounds like a Netflix original doesn't it..Oh wait it's Hitchcock...Still sounds like a Netflix movie.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Yes, it is. My post and your comment had me digging out my True Grit Blu-ray last night.

Great cast and directors. Definitely worth a revisit. ;)
And another majestic example of Roger Deakins cinematography. A Rembrandt of film. 13 Oscar nominations.

Credits include: 1984 (1984); Sid and Nancy (1986); White Mischief (1987); Barton Fink (1991); The Secret Garden (1993); The Shawshank Redemption (1994); Dead Man Walking (1995); Fargo (1996); The Big Lebowski (1998); O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000); A Beautiful Mind (2001); No Country for Old Men (2007); Doubt (2008); The Reader (2008); Revolutionary Road (2008); Skyfall (2012); Sicario (2015); Blade Runner 2049 (2017).

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
True Grit (2010) DVD Directed and written for the screen by Coen brothers. Cinematography by Roger Deakins (I have a separate thread post in admiration for the work of).

The movie's dialogue can be disconcerting. The choices are often too formal for my liking, and kinda like everyone went to the same schoolhouse. A related U. Penn language forum discussion is linked.

https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2873

DVD upscales very well.

Reactions: DD/DTS

·
Registered
2,111 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
While on the 'classics' theme. Stars beautiful Gene Tierney but in the movie she is dead. Unusual script.
Watched 3 days ago. Excellent movie.

Laura

Laura is a 1944 American film noir produced and directed by Otto Preminger. It stars Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews and Clifton Webb along with Vincent Price and Judith Anderson.
In 1999, Laura was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". The American Film Institute named it one of the 10 best mystery films of all time, and it also appears on Roger Ebert's "Great Movies" series.

"Joseph LaShelle won the Academy Award for Best Black and White Cinematography. Otto Preminger was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Director but lost to Leo McCarey for Going My Way. Clifton Webb was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor but lost to Barry Fitzgerald in Going My Way. Jay Dratler, Samuel Hoffenstein, and Betty Reinhardt were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay but lost to Frank Butler and Frank Cavett for Going My Way. Lyle R. Wheeler, Leland Fuller, and Thomas Little were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Black-and-White Art Direction and Interior Decoration but lost to Cedric Gibbons, William Ferrari, Paul Huldschinsky, and Edwin B. Willis for Gaslight."

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
Wild Bill (1995) - Walter Hill directs. Jeff Bridges, Ellen Barkin, John Hurt, Diane Lane, Keith Carradine, Christina Applegate, Bruce Dern, James Gammon, David Arquette and Marjoe Gortner.

It's a Walter Hill movie so you know it's going to have a fair amount of violence. A great cast but most of the actors are under-utilized. Bridges handles himself well in the action scenes and captures the melancholy mood. Some of the story is told in black and white flashbacks which are fairly ugly to look at - lack of definition. Highly fictionalized but entertaining. Twilight Time Blu-ray released in 2017.

2581 - 2600 of 5802 Posts