AVS Forum banner

5561 - 5580 of 5772 Posts

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Dismissed (2017) - An idealistic, straight-edge teacher is drawn down a horrid rabbit hole by an honors student when he gives him a B+ on a paper.

All I have to say is :eek:!

Sounds like something Blumhouse would put out. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
The movie Palm Springs (2020) on Hulu

Really good with lots of WTF moments if you go in blind. I watched not knowing anything besides the poster - not even genre. And I didn't even look closely at it, so I didn't realize who the actors in it were. I found out afterwards that the trailer spoils a LOT of the surprising moments of the movie, so I suggest not to watch it.
I will spoil it a little here and say it's an R-rated romantic comedy, but that's all.
Highly recommended!

·
Premium Member
10,605 Posts
Last Action Hero - Danny Madigan worships action hero Jack Slater and can't believe his good fortune when he's magically transported into Slater's latest flick. Slater doesn't feel quite so fortunate when he magically departs his film for Danny's more-painful reality in order to right a grievous wrong.

Comments: This was not a great film but - thanks to a sufficient amount of clever and lighthearted writing, some good actions scenes and a solid performance by Ahhnold - it was a good film.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Attraction 2: Invasion (2020) - With the fall of the alien ship, Julia's life changed, now three years later mankind is about to experience a new encounter.

Though maligned, I had a good time with this sequel and was surprised and impressed with the Russian performances as well as the CGI action sequences. The ending song was so different and haunting that it was soul-stirring (it's called "I Love You" by Billie Eilish linked with a YouTube video below). It's refreshing to take a look at what other countries are doing rather than being constantly bombarded with what's released stateside.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8060328/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I really enjoyed this film and will be watching it again! Charlize always seems to immerse herself into the character of whatever role she's in and is such a consummate actor... that's why I enjoy everything she's in!

It's good to see a new movie released and there could be a sequel coming, based on its success.

Not sure if it's me, during the process of moving, watching this without a screen took away the PQ of the movie
and it's not that bright or sharp.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Watched the first to get ready to watch the third, but think its gonna be a bit before I see it. Large difference in quality between one and two with the 4k atmos soundtrack

·
Registered
118 Posts
Watched the first to get ready to watch the third, but think its gonna be a bit before I see it. Large difference in quality between one and two with the 4k atmos soundtrack
I don't even remember parts 1 and 2 but I enjoyed Bad Boys For Life. The story is mindless but the action and interactions between Smith and Lawrence are fun. The depiction of the Mexico City final battle location was dumb though. I thought Hollywood had moved past that kind of generic "Mexico" by now.
Of course it was up to the standards of realism that the rest of the movie sets anyway. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Relic (2020)

Kind of disappointed. I like the new crop of "art house horror" that has come out in recent years, like "Hereditary" and "The Witch", and this one is full of dread and slow menace, but the payoff was disappointingly confusing because the characters didn't talk to each other like normal people would've.
Frustrating, but still worth a watch due to the great acting and the suspense in the build up, and the drama is touching and relevant, especially the ending. Just don't expect it to be, you know, scary.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Relic (2020)

Kind of disappointed. I like the new crop of "art house horror" that has come out in recent years, like "Hereditary" and "The Witch", and this one is full of dread and slow menace, but the payoff was disappointingly confusing because the characters didn't talk to each other like normal people would've.
Frustrating, but still worth a watch due to the great acting and the suspense in the build up, and the drama is touching and relevant, especially the ending. Just don't expect it to be, you know, scary.
:eek::D Art house horror is controversial to say the least.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't even remember parts 1 and 2 but I enjoyed Bad Boys For Life. The story is mindless but the action and interactions between Smith and Lawrence are fun. The depiction of the Mexico City final battle location was dumb though. I thought Hollywood had moved past that kind of generic "Mexico" by now.
Of course it was up to the standards of realism that the rest of the movie sets anyway. :)
I ended up watching it yesterday, I enjoyed it for the quality improvement over the first 2 with sound and hdr. To be honest most of them annoyed me in it, but did like the villan in it

Reactions: Micke S

·
Registered
18 Posts
The King of Staten Island

Wasn't really expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. Love Bill Burr and knew he was in it but I had no idea he had such a central role. Did a great job. Music was great. The cameos by Machine Gun Kelly and Action Bronson garnered a chuckle. Dare I say I may have shed a.. well.. not full blown tear but a slight misting of my eye holes occurred.

Worth a watch!

5561 - 5580 of 5772 Posts