AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not talking about the first run by yourself or with your wife, I'm talking about the first "official" public premier when you sent out invitations, had the popcorn machine popping away, the lights dimmed just right, etc. etc.

I am in the process of working on our HT and hope to have it done in time to premier with Star Wars Episode III. I've already got it on pre-order. Thought it would be perfect being that it is a new release and no one will have seen it outside of the movie theater environment.

How about you?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
LOTR-ROTK

Stew

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyNAVY
I'm not talking about the first run by yourself or with your wife, I'm talking about the first "official" public premier when you sent out invitations, had the popcorn machine popping away, the lights dimmed just right, etc. etc.

I am in the process of working on our HT and hope to have it done in time to premier with Star Wars Episode III. I've already got it on pre-order. Thought it would be perfect being that it is a new release and no one will have seen it outside of the movie theater environment.

How about you?

I expect that would be a good one.

I watched D-Theater version of the Day after Tomorrow when I had the "grand opening". High definition of a crisp transfer and great audio.

One of my frequent demos early on was Finding Nemo. Any pixar release looks fantastic and the audio of this one was awesome.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Coming out about the same time is War of the Worlds. I thought that was a much better movie. Or, Batman Begins. Star Wars is always good though, but Star Wars would seem to be a movie that everyone would use.

I'd be different. :)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

·
Registered
344 Posts
Great topic!

I have just about every IMAX known to man out on DVD. Extreme should be out this year and I will be one of the first ones to own it! If it arrives that will be my first....if not I might go for War of the Worlds when it hits DVD.

My first one I will watch on the screen with the wife will be the IMAX NASCAR one that I have had in shrink wrap since I got it!

FlyNavy....what you fly? I FlyUSAF!

Regards

Mike :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Those LOTR movies are waaaaayyyy too long for your typical movie goer. I'd try to stay with a movie that runs about two hours or so. While the movies are great and they are good for demos. I think people for the most part have a hard time sitting through those movies, unless you take a nice long intermission. The thing about intermissions though is I find that they break away from the pace of the movie, so I try to avoid them.

While they are great to watch in the theater the first time, I find them hard to sit through in one sitting after I've already seen the LOTR movies.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
We haven't technically had an official opening with invitations. All the family was over the Easter weekend I hung the projector and the screen. Course there was no carpet back then but we through down a few rugs and drug a few recliners and couches in there and watched The Matrix. That was a couple of years ago and I'm still not officially done.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IMAX is a great choice!! We just got the new Space Station DVD with Tom Cruise narrating. How about that shuttle launch! Looks great on a 27" TV...

Can't wait to see it at 106"!!

Guttboy: sending you a PM now.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Neil....I saw that in another thread...would be very cool to have but for me I am not sure how to run it to the PJ...I mean if I am running the DVD player with the movie then I would have to get up and put in the movie I wanted to watch.

Anyone have any suggestions for that?

FlyNavy...you have a PM as well!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think most people use the intros with either a HTPC or two dvd players, you could also make a show night dvd that was a copy of the intro on a DVD recordable followed by the movie you were planning on watching. The problem with the custom show night DVD idea is that unless you do a dual layer disk you may have to compress the video and that is not a good idea when the plan is to fully apreaciate the quality that your new theater can offer. I think that a HTPC is the best way to do an intro, but an HTPC is a project all in itself.

I don't have any idea when I'll be able to have an opening (I don't even have a house) but I think that I agree that something epic may be a bit heavy for an introduction to your home theater.

Great thread,

Brian

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
FlyNAVY... how about Top Gun SE?

Anything with scenery is a nice premier...

·
Registered
27,211 Posts
Amelie.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Top Gun would be a sweet premier! That movie never gets old and I heard that the audio is awesome in Dolby Digital.

As for the theater intro, that is definitely a MUST to further enhance the theater experience. I plan to use slides designed by another member on this forum, create a self-running DVD with the slides, background music, and theater intro, and use my carousel DVD player. HTPC would be best but probably won't have one in time for the premier.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I'd hoped to have a big invite/premiere night, but when it came down to it, we ended up having people over before the carpeting was down and seating was in - we pulled in makeshift seating and showed movies that way for a couple of weeks until it was actually done. (not to mention playing 10' 4:3 Halo on bare drywall the night after they got the sheetrock up with a waaaay improvised sound system)

I guess our circle of friends ended up being too informal for a big night like I had in mind.

But the first flick that was watched down there was Van Helsing - just me and a buddy of mine that helped me with a lot of the framing and wire pulling. Couldn't tell you what was runner-up to that.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I am hoping "The Island" is out by the time I get mine done and its a good transfer. If the SW EP 1, 2, 3 boxset is out I will pick that up too.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.