AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to WOW my friend on my new Sumsung HLN-617w. I don't have DVI player yet. I am using Pan 91 DVD player using good component cables. After watching so many movies. I think Austin Power Goldmember DVD is a best movie to showoff. What do you use to showoff your new TV?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
There is a DVD review section here.

Recentely Stereophile Guide to Home Theater claimed that lord of the rings, fellowship of the ring was the best around. Picture quality is flawless-lots of scenes with great visual punch as well as sound.

You can't go wrong with either of the Star Wars movies-as cliched as that is-although its "all digital" creation gives it a different look than the best film prints.

The ISF guys I've dealt with really like Superbit Fifth Element-apparently has great scenes for evaluating specific +'s and -'s in any system. Also Superbit Vertical Limit.

Have fun!

v

·
Registered
661 Posts
Star Wars Episode II is especially good when you get your DVI DVD player :) I have also heard that Starship Troopers Superbit is a good one and people seem to be talking a lot about the second Lord of the Rings as well.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Computer Animation. Monster's Inc, Ice Age, etc. People arespeculating that Finding Nemo is going to be *the* show off disc when it comes out.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
The Lord of The Rings, FOTR is a terrific demo movie. The Sammy DLP offers a great detailed and sharp picture when fed an all digital source through DVI - however deep blacks and shadow detail are not its strong points. Wouldn't a movie that doesn't have as many dark scenes as LOTRs be a better choice?

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's cheating a little, but I second and third Monster's Inc. It honestly looked better than any HD I've ever seen over my cable service. No pesky fleshtone issues, too.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I was checking out the Sammy DLP on display at BB yesterday. They were showing a DVD loop of excerpts from several movies. The Monster's Inc. clip stood out above all of the live action ones.

·
Registered
661 Posts
hmmmm... My fiance has been bugging me to get Monster's Inc. for a while - maybe I'll go pick it up (she doesn't need to know I am buying it more to see how my TV performs than for her ;) )

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, everyone.. I found that most animated DVD title did really well on my DLP. I have not tweak the set yet. It's too new for that. The set has less than 40 hours on it. Out of the box, I like it.. I had to bring down color tone a little. I will try Lord of the ring. Thanks for all advices.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
I don't have a Samsung DLP, as I'm a CRT RPTV kinda guy, but I'd recommend...

The new version of Super Speedway.

For both the picture and the surround sound quality that it has.

Not that the old version of it was bad in any way, as it is also a great "showoff" DVD.

But the new version is outstanding.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Why use DVD to show off your Sammy? Its only 480 pixel resolution at best - more like 'enhanced' TV resolution. All the fine detail is just not there.

Invest in a HD OTA tuner or a HD sat system. That's the only way to show off a HD system.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marketsage
Why use DVD to show off your Sammy? Its only 480 pixel resolution at best - more like 'enhanced' TV resolution. All the fine detail is just not there.

Invest in a HD OTA tuner or a HD sat system. That's the only way to show off a HD system.
True up to a point!

#1 You have no control at all over what HD may be broadcasting at the time you wish to show a HD set to someone.

With a good DVD, you can show it anytime, or as many times as you wish.

#2 It sounds like you have never seen what a really good and properly set up HD set can do, with "just" a excellent DVD as a source.

If one was to go entirely by what you say, then one could also say a Samsung can not do 1080i HD natively, and that they are missing something, when viewing 1080i HD programing.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Monsters chapter 4 (see the hair stand up)

AOTC - battle scene of Jedi vs droids, Anakin & padme sitting in field

LOTR - Shire scene in the beginning

Expectations are high for Nemo

I agree HD is better to demo - I love the InHD demo loop.

And NOTHING turns heads like live HD such as MNF!

·
Registered
186 Posts
"Spirited Away" via a 931 over DVI was phenomenal. "Fifth Element" superbit looked as good as (if not better than) many HBOHD programs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would love to show off HD source. The problem is: I am working on getting dishnet HD stuff. And I am waiting for new HD reciever which should be available next month. I can't get OTA where I live. What a shame... I don't think my wife will let me sale the house and move close to the entana so I could get HD. For the next few months, I have show off with DVD.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.