AVS Forum banner

8861 - 8880 of 8994 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Through most of season 2 of Patriot (Amazon Original). In a nutshell, I think this show deserves way more attention. It's absolutely masterful at being eccentric, unconventional, and hugely creative while still being accessible. The themes have been seen before for sure: deep cover, non-sanctioned governmental operator dealing with some incredibly high stakes scenarios, but it's executed so differently than anything I've ever seen. Also, it's got an amazing dark sense of humor running underneath the entire time. The production value is top tier, and there's a great, well-curated cast. The lead, Michael Dorman is fantastic, and Terry O'Quinn and Kurtwood Smith absolutely excel.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
It's really good. Amazing cast. Definitely amongst my faves of Spike Lee along with Inside Man and BlacKkKlansman.
I used to like Lee's films -- Do The Right Thing, Malcom, et al -- but after witnessing him say some controversial things in interviews and at press conferences and such, I lost all respect for him as a human being.

You don't like America that much and it's been so bad to you (an absolute joke, based on how successful he's been as a filmmaker and actor)? Leave. It's as simple as that.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
400 Days (Amazon Prime)
Synopsis: Four aspiring astronauts undertake an isolated, 400-day-long space-flight simulation in an underground bunker, only to discover that the enemy is not within.

Comments: This low-budget flick had potential, but roughly half-way through its 90-minute run time it started to get silly and didn't stop until it was completely stupid. What a piece of [email protected]

(n)

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
400 Days (Amazon Prime)
Synopsis: Four aspiring astronauts undertake an isolated, 400-day-long space-flight simulation in an underground bunker, only to discover that the enemy is not within.

Comments: This low-budget flick had potential, but roughly half-way through its 90-minute run time it started to get silly and didn't stop until it was completely stupid. What a piece of [email protected]

(n)
View attachment 3141436
Thanks for the warning...

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
YMMV, of course. :)
Well, I've got 2 discs in the mail from Netflix and 66 in the queue so I'm satisfied with your review and highly doubt I would find it a 4 to 5 star movie ;)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Shakma (1990)

6.5/10 Free on Tubi

You boys haven't lived until you watch the substandard cess·pool of a B film, Shakma.
YMMV, of course. :)
4.4 IMDb; 22% RT. You're golden. :geek:
Well, I've got 2 discs in the mail from Netflix and 66 in the queue so I'm satisfied with your review and highly doubt I would find it a 4 to 5 star movie ;)
Shakma (also known as Panic in the Tower) is a 1990 American horror film directed by Tom Logan and Hugh Parks. It stars Christopher Atkins, Amanda Wyss (A Nightmare on Elm Street ), Ari Meyers and Roddy McDowall.
Shakma has a lot going for it. A rabid baboon killing a team of medical school jackasses is inherently entertaining. Six medical students and a professor are locked inside a medical building with a murderous experimental baboon when an innocent game of Dungeons and Dragons turns deadly.

Yup, the acting was so painful . You know it is a sad day as an actor when you are shown up by the likes of Sam - Christopher Atkins! Our hero. Atkins acting compared the the rest of the cast was "Oscar worthy". Truth be told Christopher Atkins was more than decent in he's role. The stand-out is baboon TYPHOON as SHAKMA . He does nothing but chase the students into various rooms throughout the building, whereupon he screeches and throws himself repeatedly against the door until he gets bored. I cannot even begin to describe how much doors piss Shakma off. He absolutely hates the things and it is totally gut busting hysterical to watch.... As absurd as this film was I enjoyed watching "Shakma" rip, mangle and maul the entire eminently forgettable cast. I can see how this film has gained a small cult following over the years.

Shoo , Skakma , shoo ! Leave sexy Tina..... "A Nightmare on Elm Street" alone.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
An Affair to Remember (1957) BD Directed by Leo McCarey ('Duck Soup', 'Going My Way'). Cinematography by Milton Krasner ('The Bank Dick', 'The Farmer's Daughter', 'All About Eve', 'Monkey Business', 'Bus Stop', 'Sweet Bird of Youth', 'The Sandpiper') Editing by James Clark ('Charlie Chan at the Wax Museum', 'How Green Was My Valley', 'I Was a Male War Bride', 'The Desert Fox').

Starring Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr. Support by Richard Denning, Neva Patterson, Cathleen Nesbitt.

Wife duty for this classic. Chick flick alert. Man and woman meet on a cruise ship, and their mutual attraction complicates matters. Some cracks in casting and storyline, but it's always nice to see Cary, and hear Vic Damone (title song during opening credits). Very good Blu-ray.

Filmed 1957 in France and USA. Budget $2M; Worldwide Gross $3M. 4 Oscar noms.

Related:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Wife duty for this classic. Chick flick alert.
Im' sorry you had to suffer through it. You only had to look at the incomparable and stunning Debra Kerr 2 hours ! :) Debra was a total knockout to the 20th power.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
400 Days (Amazon Prime)

(n)
View attachment 3141436
It's a Sy-Fy channel movie, they have had it streaming on their site before. It's a made for TV movie interesting idea for a low budget film.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
IMDB is movie Yelp, Ego driven wanna be's. There are already enough bad real critics, we don't need a reserve squad. :eek:
We've been down this road. I've tried to alleviate your worries, concerns for IMDb, to no avail. Sorry.

To my knowledge, none of us are professional reviewers here. Perhaps you'd like to join in occasionally with a review of your own.

Cheers.

Reactions: Cheddarhead

·
Registered
421 Posts

8861 - 8880 of 8994 Posts