AVS Forum banner

8881 - 8900 of 8994 Posts

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Shakma (1990)

6.5/10 Free on Tubi

You boys haven't lived until you watch the substandard cess·pool of a B film, Shakma.

Shakma (also known as Panic in the Tower) is a 1990 American horror film directed by Tom Logan and Hugh Parks. It stars Christopher Atkins, Amanda Wyss (A Nightmare on Elm Street ), Ari Meyers and Roddy McDowall.
Shakma has a lot going for it. A rabid baboon killing a team of medical school jackasses is inherently entertaining. Six medical students and a professor are locked inside a medical building with a murderous experimental baboon when an innocent game of Dungeons and Dragons turns deadly.

Yup, the acting was so painful . You know it is a sad day as an actor when you are shown up by the likes of Sam - Christopher Atkins! Our hero. Atkins acting compared the the rest of the cast was "Oscar worthy". Truth be told Christopher Atkins was more than decent in he's role. The stand-out is baboon TYPHOON as SHAKMA . He does nothing but chase the students into various rooms throughout the building, whereupon he screeches and throws himself repeatedly against the door until he gets bored. I cannot even begin to describe how much doors piss Shakma off. He absolutely hates the things and it is totally gut busting hysterical to watch.... As absurd as this film was I enjoyed watching "Shakma" rip, mangle and maul the entire eminently forgettable cast. I can see how this film has gained a small cult following over the years.

Shoo , Skakma , shoo ! Leave sexy Tina..... "A Nightmare on Elm Street" alone.
I think I stumbled across this, on one of the cable movie channels back in the dark ages (aka the 90's). It looks really familiar :D :eek::devilish:.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts

The story of Crown Princess Märtha, who fought for her country and her marriage during the tragic events of World War II.
Creator:Alexander Eik
Stars:Kyle MacLachlan, Sofia Helin, Tobias Santelmann

"Atlantic Crossing," a prestigious Norwegian period drama starring Sofia Helin ("The Bridge") as Crown Princess Märtha, and Kyle MacLachlan ("Twin Peaks") as U. S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
The limited series, written by Eik and Linda May Kallestein ("Wisting"), sheds light on Martha's journey from Norway to the White House where she sought refuge and became close to U. S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt. The Crown Princess tried to convince Roosevelt to save her country and Europe from Nazi Germany at a time when American voters were strongly opposed to being drawn into another world war.

Atlantic Crossing an interesting time in history revisited. PBS Masterpiece Theatre , always excellent programming worth watching!! The story is well written, and there is certainly a lot of tension .Atlantic Crossing is not a documentary and should not be viewed as one. As a historical series, it is exciting, emotional and engaging. This is wonderful TV entertainment and a fantastic period piece that Masterpice Theatre is so good at. It was an interesting character study of Crown Princess Martha superbly acted by actress Sofia Helin .She portrayed the character very well as she matured throughout the series from a somewhat naive soul maturing into a determined woman . Tobias Santelmann, Kyle MacLachlan rounded out the superb cast excellent in their respective roles. I thoroughly enjoyed Atlantic Crossing well worth my time.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore. (2017)
Director:
Macon Blair
Writer: Macon Blair
Stars: Melanie Lynskey, Chris Doubek, Marilyn Faith Hickey
Netflix

Macon Blair, most known for his acting (Blue Ruin, Green Room, The Hunt) steps behind the camera to direct his first feature film. This is mostly dark comedy but delves into crime-drama as well. The melding of the two is mostly successful and enjoyable, but it's a bit disjointed. Ruth is a timid nursing assistant that is basically depressed and just fed up with how poorly people treat each other. She arrives home one day to find her home has been burgled. They've taken her laptop, some medication, and, most importantly, her grandmother's silverware set. Her grandmother was a good woman that spent her life helping people so this kinda pushes her over the edge.

It becomes clear the police aren't going to help when they practically blame her because she cannot remember if she locked her door. So she sets out to investigate herself, which includes asking her neighbors if they saw anything suspicious. This leads her to team up with Tony (played by Elijah Woods). Her story enrages him, and he is eager to help her, though, he's not exactly the most effective sidekick, despite his interests (he has nunchucks and throwing stars). His performance is pretty funny, and along with Melanie Lynskey's nice range as Ruth, make this mostly enjoyable. Their digging leads to some run-ins with some pretty unsavory characters. Hijinks and some pretty bloody scenes ensue. IMDb: 6.9/10, my score: 7.0/10

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Michael Clayton (2007)
Director:
Tony Gilroy
Writer: Tony Gilroy
Stars: George Clooney, Tilda Swinton, Tom Wilkinson
Tubi, 4th or 5th view

Tony Gilroy is mostly known as a screenwriter having penned the screenplays for such films as the original Bourne trilogy, The Devil's Advocate, and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. This is his first (and best) of only three directorial efforts, and this is one of those rare dramas that just keeps drawing me back to it. It's weird. I'll just have this unexplainable desire to watch this even though it's not one of those movies that garners much attention anymore. In that way, I feel it is underrated, and it really holds up for me in repeated views.

It's obviously a great role for Clooney, but I find that Tilda Swinton, Sydney Pollack, and especially Tom Wilkinson absolutely excel here. Clooney is a lawyer for a big powerful firm, but he is basically their fixer or, janitor, as it gets expressed later. This is portrayed quite well early on when he is dispatched to the home of a wealthy client of the firm late at night. The man has hit a jogger with his car and fled the scene. Clooney, playing Clayton, is the guy that can filter through the BS the quickest and suggest the best next step in the heat of the moment. The client doesn't like that he can't just make this go away like a magic trick, but Clayton has a way with words that can counter the snobbiest of douchebags effectively.

He has cops in his family and has a history in the Queens DA office so he knows the full gamut of legal strategy from low-level offenders all the way up to the richest corporate clients. He is incredibly intelligent and generally well-regarded by all. When he starts peeling away the layers on a big corporate case that led his friend and fellow lawyer Arthur to essentially become unhinged and actually start making the case for the competition, he starts to uncover some incredibly compelling things. The end is just so damn satisfying as well. IMDb: 7.2/01, my score: 8.1/10

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Michael Clayton (2007)
Director:
Tony Gilroy
Tubi, 4th or 5th view

Tony Gilroy is mostly known as a screenwriter having penned the screenplays for such films as the original Bourne trilogy, The Devil's Advocate, and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. This is his first (and best) of only three directorial efforts, and this is one of those rare dramas that just keeps drawing me back to it. It's weird. I'll just have this unexplainable desire to watch this even though it's not one of those movies that garners much attention anymore. In that way, I feel it is underrated, and it really holds up for me in repeated views.

It's obviously a great role for Clooney, but I find that Tilda Swinton, Sydney Pollack, and especially Tom Wilkinson absolutely excel here. Clooney is a lawyer for a big powerful firm, but he is basically their fixer or, janitor, as it gets expressed later. This is portrayed quite well early on when he is dispatched to the home of a wealthy client of the firm late at night. The man has hit a jogger with his car and fled the scene. Clooney, playing Clayton, is the guy that can filter through the BS the quickest and suggest the best next step in the heat of the moment. The client doesn't like that he can't just make this go away like a magic trick, but Clayton has a way with words that can counter the snobbiest of douchebags effectively.

He has cops in his family and has a history in the Queens DA office so he knows the full gamut of legal strategy from low-level offenders all the way up to the richest corporate clients. He is incredibly intelligent and generally well-regarded by all. When he starts peeling away the layers on a big corporate case that led his friend and fellow lawyer Arthur to essentially become unhinged and actually start making the case for the competition, he starts to uncover some incredibly compelling things. The end is just so damn satisfying as well. IMDb: 7.2/01, my score: 8.1/10

Now in my Netflix queue :)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Michael Clayton (2007)
Director:
Tony Gilroy
Tubi, 4th or 5th view

Now in my Netflix queue :)
AWESOME film. Matt won't be disappointed.

We own the Blu-ray.

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
Game Of Thrones

4K UltraHD Blu-ray Steelbook

Finished Season 7

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
L.A. Confidential (1997) DVD Directed by Curtis Hanson ('The Hand That Rocks the Cradle', 'Wonder Boys', '8 Mile', 'Chasing Mavericks'). Cinematography by Dante Spinotti ('Manhunter', 'Frankie and Johnny', 'The Last of the Mohicans', 'The Quick and the Dead', 'Heat', 'The Insider', 'Wonder Boys', 'Red Dragon', 'Public Enemies'). Editing by Peter Honess ('Six Degrees of Separation', 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets', 'The Golden Compass'). Music by Jerry Goldsmith ('The Omen', 'Alien', 'First Blood', 'Total Recall', 'Basic Instinct', 'Six Degrees of Separation', 'US Marshals').

Starring Russell Crowe, Kevin Spacey, Guy Pearce, James Cromwell, Kim Basinger. Support by David Strathairn, Graham Beckel, Danny DeVito, Ron Rifkin, Simon Baker, Darrell Sandeen,

Re-watch of this L.A. neo-noir classic. Always a few surprises, "Have you a valediction, boyo?"
Very good DVD, released 2015.

Filmed 1996 in L.A. Budget $35M; Worldwide Gross $126M. 9 Oscar noms. Wins for Best Supporting Actress and Writing.

Related:

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
L.A. Confidential (1997) DVD Directed by Curtis Hanson ('The Hand That Rocks the Cradle', 'Wonder Boys', '8 Mile', 'Chasing Mavericks'). Cinematography by Dante Spinotti ('Manhunter', 'Frankie and Johnny', 'The Last of the Mohicans', 'The Quick and the Dead', 'Heat', 'The Insider', 'Wonder Boys', 'Red Dragon', 'Public Enemies'). Editing by Peter Honess ('Six Degrees of Separation', 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets', 'The Golden Compass'). Music by Jerry Goldsmith ('The Omen', 'Alien', 'First Blood', 'Total Recall', 'Basic Instinct', 'Six Degrees of Separation', 'US Marshals').

Starring Russell Crowe, Kevin Spacey, Guy Pearce, James Cromwell, Kim Basinger. Support by David Strathairn, Graham Beckel, Danny DeVito, Ron Rifkin, Simon Baker, Darrell Sandeen,

Re-watch of this L.A. neo-noir classic. Always a few surprises, "Have you a valediction, boyo?"
Very good DVD, released 2015.

Filmed 1996 in L.A. Budget $35M; Worldwide Gross $126M. 9 Oscar noms. Wins for Best Supporting Actress and Writing.

Related:

Now residing in my Netflix queue :)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I had DVRed The Lure (2015) off TCM some time ago and decided to finally watch it. The movie is about two coming-of-age mermaids that are kicking off their sexual awakening in a Polish cabaret ( :unsure: ). It's quite a bizarre combination of dark comedy, musical, and horror that doesn't make a lick of sense. The TCM presenter noted that the director, Agnieszka Smoczynska, meant to portray the sexual awakening of the girls as something they were in control of, not through the POV of some timid, shy girl that is being taken advantage of by male predators. Quite the contrary, the girls in their mermaid forms are quite the predators.

I wasn't paying very close attention so I am not in any position to review this or explain it much. The story was just too wacky, and I find that I need a character to like or at least identify with to keep my attention. The two female leads are nude quite often in the movie, and they have some magical ability to take human form ( :unsure:) but, being mermaids, they do not have human reproductive organs or, uh, waste disposal systems. As it's expressed (and quite clearly shown) in the movie, they resemble Barbie dolls.

Another interesting aspect is that no one seems to care that they are real mermaids. The beginning seems to indicate that this is surprising information when they transform in front of two dudes, but no one else seems to care for the rest of the movie. They just think it's neat. In fairness, it's quite well-made, and the performances are great. There's just nothing I can relate to so...anyway, this was a thing I watched...

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
The Lodge

Netflix Blu-ray rental.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The Lodge

Netflix Blu-ray rental.

View attachment 3142661
The Lodge had art-house sensibilities an excellent cinematography. The musical score truly adds to the sense of dread ; very effective and superbly composed. The film does an excellent job dealing with the pain of loss. Brace your self for forbidding & brutal film in the vain of Ari Aster and Oz Perkins works. If you enjoy a slow burn, psychological horror that is truly disturbing, and very unsettling. The Lodge is what you want to watch. Brooding and dark film. This is an intense film. @RagtopFE . Did you get in to The Lodge or is it not your cup of tea ? You are the only person to post about The Lodge. Thanks a million for your thoughts .I saw it in the theatre right before the ****ty pandemic shuttered the cinemas . It was my favorite freak- me -out film of 2020.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
The Lodge had art-house sensibilities an excellent cinematography. The musical score truly adds to the sense of dread ; very effective and superbly composed. The film does an excellent job dealing with the pain of loss. Brace your self for forbidding & brutal film in the vain of Ari Aster and Oz Perkins works. If you enjoy a slow burn, psychological horror that is truly disturbing, and very unsettling. The Lodge is what you want to watch. Brooding and dark film. This is an intense film. @RagtopFE . Did you get in to The Lodge or is it not your cup of tea ? You are the only person to post about The Lodge. Thanks a million for your thoughts .I saw it in the theatre right before the ****ty pandemic shuttered the cinemas . It was my favorite freak- me -out film of 2020.
This is still streaming on Hulu for the curious :devilish:

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
I saw a trailer for this, and put it in my Netflix Queue months ago so I kind of went in blind. As the story progressed it had that "where is this really going" element to me. Agree with the slow burn, psychological aspect and score too. I thought the various times a person in the background was just slightly obscured/out of focus was a neat cinematography technique. I'm a bit on the fence with the ending, as I'm one who struggles with how to interpret such finales. With that said, upon reflection, I feel that the whole of the movie was well worth the viewing. I do enjoy these "slightly different" type of movies.

Reactions: RobKnapp and Ben23
8881 - 8900 of 8994 Posts