AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course a film will only have as much affect on you as you allow it to, but what movies out there changed you in any way, small or dramaticly? For me, movies about real life events have the biggest impact on me, and I take them to heart:

Glory: To me this movie is about sheer courage overcoming incredible injustices, I'm not African American, but I just wish, that I have half the courage these man of the 54th had. They helped change the world, and for me, I never saw the world the same way again. I don't see it as white people bad, black people oppressed either, because as you can see that's just not the case. However when presented with the choice, will you go with the crowd? Which in those days and sometimes even today, it means oppressing and ridiculing a minority group (homosexuals, race, religious group whatever) or will you have the guts to stand up for what is right?

Amistad: I never fully grasped how horrible slave trade was, even with Roots and Glory, and a host of other written accounts. Somehow this movie was so visually impacting, I was convinced that everyone alive in that time period and had dark skin literally lived hell.

Schindler's List: How can people be so cruel? AFter this I became seriously sure that each of us, has the potential to do evil things, we have to constantly reevaluate ourselves and make sure our moral compass isn't damaged. Schindler was a major hero.

Star Wars: Well after all the depressing movies I mentioned, I have to say that if it wasn't for Star Wars, I wouldn't have a love for movies, games, writing, etc... this movie sparked my imagination at an early age, and I have always relied on it.

American History X and Power of One: Both of these movies affected me the same way, racial hate, and one person that decides, that while it is not easy, siding with the popular majority is not always the right thing to do. Also hate and anger consumes and destroys, it never helps in any way, I mentioned these last although it changed me slightly, it wasn't as strong as the movies I mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
For me it's

Star Wars - like you said, it really sparked my imagination at a fairly young age, and has held my interest for the 27 years since its release.

Tombstone - It's a great movie, but the part that always speaks to me is the intense friendship exhibited between Doc and Wyatt. It has always been a reminder to me of how to be a true friend.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Pay it Forward: I know, not the greatest movie, but after watching this flick, both my wife and I wanted to start doing some good things for people we didn't know. Secret benefactors if you will, with no desire for any return. Of course, the theory is that they will do the same and it will mushroom over time. Lots of theories are great as theories.

Your mention of Schindler's list is a good one. How can one not be affected by that movie?

Another one for us was Life is Beautiful. Certainly made me want to be a better father to my greatest gifts (my kiddos)

There are probably others. Good Thread.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Another one: Deer Hunter. Made me hate war and everything about it.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The World According to Garp - I will never sit in a driveway getting a BJ ever!!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Mountain climbing documentary about two friends who climbed a himalayan mountain in a storm.

After seeing that movie I will never again think "man I had a bad day". All I have to do is think about what those guys went through (and survived) and realize that I have got it easy.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
JAWS

I was so overwhelmed by that movie that I had to learn everything about it, which eventually made me think of my own variations on the story which prompted me into writing. Although not making a million from it as yet, I've created a few characters that I am very proud of, and they can all find their origin in a kid sitting in a theater watching yellow kegs pop out of the water.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hank527
The World According to Garp - I will never sit in a driveway getting a BJ ever!!
Correction: Wasn't he sitting in his car? :D

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nebrunner
Mountain climbing documentary about two friends who climbed a himalayan mountain in a storm.

After seeing that movie I will never again think "man I had a bad day". All I have to do is think about what those guys went through (and survived) and realize that I have got it easy.
Have you seen "Alive"? Talk about gut wrenching.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dvlos

Of course a film will only have as much affect on you as you allow it to, but what movies out there changed you in any way, small or dramaticly? For me, movies about real life events have the biggest impact on me, and I take them to heart:

Glory[/b...Amistad: ...Schindler's List: ...Star Wars: ...American History X and Power of One:....

Wow. You've been through a lot of life changes ....

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by AcuraCL
Wow. You've been through a lot of life changes ....
These are minor shifts in my point of view, since this is how I perceive and relate to everything in my life, I think that's significant :)

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dvlos
These are minor shifts in my point of view, since this is how I perceive and relate to everything in my life, I think that's significant :)
Ah, I see. So watching "Amistad" didn't make you leave your home in a lily-white suburb and move to the ghetto to help disadvantaged inner-city youth ...

Well, I guess even just not using the "n word" any more is a life change ....

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Acura, why you be bustin on the rabbit?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Oh, it just seemed a wee bit "dramatic" ... what movies changed your life ...

Maybe I'm just having a bad day ....

Apologies to those who are offended.

But really, has anyone really CHANGED their life because of a movie?

I don't care what MOVIE it was ... what was the CHANGE you made?

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Well if you want to see just how screwed-up people can get, watch "Crumb"

and "Capturing the Friedmans". Case studies of what screwed up parenting can

do to children..

b2b

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Acura,

Most movies I watch are from a purely entertainment standpoint. Every once in a blue moon, I do watch a movie that changes me. Is the change dramatic? No. Aren't we all a by-product of our life experiences? These small abeit subtle changes affect the end product. It would seem the author of this thread has been altered by certain movies in a positve way and for the life of me, I guess I have a hard time seeing that as a "bad" thing.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Although not a movie, I grew up watching Sea Hunt on television. I later went on to collect and ship live tropical fish and have spend a number of years of my life underwater.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Quote:
It would seem the author of this thread has been altered by certain movies in a positve way and for the life of me, I guess I have a hard time seeing that as a "bad" thing.
Agreed manpig. Dramatic or not, People who spend as much time as we do on a forum like this must get *something* more than just cheap thrills out of movies don't we?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.