AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pioneer pro510 RPTV Widescreen 6 x 9 that unfortunately locks in to full when fed a progressive scan DVD image.

If I get a Progressive scan DVD player, what type of movies will not aspect ratio properly when using the progressive mode.

I was under the impression that only DVDs that were modified to fit a standard 3 x 4 screen would need to be viewed in the interlaced mode

so as not to get some distortion of the aspect ratio.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Any dvd that is non-anamaphorically enchanced widescreen or has an aspect ratio of 1.33 , such as Citizen Kane, Gone with the Wind, will not display properly since the 510's lock into full mode when feed a 480p progressive signal. Any dvd that is anamaphorically enchanced will display correctly.

There are two possible solutions. The first is to get a progressive scan player such as the Panasonic RP91. The 91 has the ability to scale non-anamaphorically enchanced dvd's to their correct aspect ratio and allows you to keep the TV in full mode. The second option is to just use interlaced output from a dvd player. This will allow you to change between natural wide, cinema wide, zoom, full, etc. as need be and the deinterlacer in the Elite will convert the interlaced image to 480p. The Elite has a great line doubler and still can keep up with many deinterlacers in progressive players today expect for the high end chips like the Faroudja and Silicon Image.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks gtaylor,

I already have a pany rv-80 great interlaced player but was looking to

improve the image even more. I put a deposit on the Denon 1600 and would have picked it up today except we had a storm.

I get confused with aspect ratios, but I do know that a DVD that has been

reformatted to fit the screen can not be watched in Progressive but movies that are widescreen and fill the screen 6 x 9 are good.

Are the majority of new releases set up for 6 x9 viewing so that I will be able to view in progressive mode. I really don't watch older movies at all.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
There are basically two types of dvd, those that are anamphorically enchanced and those that are not. Anamaphoric dvd's are basically enchanced for 16x9 televisions. For these, you will always use Full mode on the Elite and use progressive out from the Denon. Most all new release dvd movies are anamaphoric.

Non anamaphoric dvd's are NOT 16x9 enchanced and are actually in the older 4x3 standard. The aspect ratio of the film itself can be from 1.33 up to 2.76 or so. For non-anamaphoric dvd's, you cannot use Full mode as it is intended for 16x9 enchanced material only, and non-anamaphoric dvd's as I mentioned are 4x3. For these, you will have to place your Denon in interlaced mode so that you may use the Elites various zoom modes to proplery display the image. You will need to choose the appropriate zoom mode for films with different aspect ratios. I myself have an Elite 530, and here are the modes that I use:

For films in a 1.33 aspect ratio, such as Citizen Kane, I use either natural wide or the 4x3 normal mode.

For films that are ~1.85 aspect ratio, I use Cinema Wide.

For films that are ~2.35, I use Zoom.

and of course you use Full for all anamaphoric dvd's.

The Denon will be a good match for the Elite, I'm sure you'll be very pleased with it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I believe if you have your DVD player set to 16x9 it will add the necessary information to properly frame 1.33 and non-anamorphic material on your set, unless you have the Samsung HD931 which always stretches out those sources.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gtaylor74

The Denon will be a good match for the Elite, I'm sure you'll be very pleased with it.
I also have a choice between the Denon 1600 or the RP82.

Which one would you purchase. I know that the RP82 has ever so slightly better video ratings but I've heard some negatives about the reliability of the RP82. Maybe the Denon is built a bit better.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Quote:
I believe if you have your DVD player set to 16x9 it will add the necessary information to properly frame 1.33 and non-anamorphic material on your set,
The Denon 1600 has no scaling functionality, which means it will not proplery display 1.33 and non-anamaphoric content. To properly display this material, he'll need to use one of the sets zoom modes, but the Elite x10 series locks into full mode when feed a 480p image meaning that he won't have the ability to switch modes. The solution is to get a progressive dvd player that scales 4x3 content, or just use interlaced output from the player, which will allow him to use the Elites zoom modes.

Quote:
Maybe the Denon is built a bit better.
I'm sure the build quality is probably a little better with the denon. It will also have better audio than the 82. I've read that some people thought the denons image was a little softer than the 82's, but I haven't ever compared the two so I couldn't say for sure. I think you'll be very happy with either.

·
Registered
959 Posts
My Mitsubishi also locks onto a progressive input, and renders all stretch modes useless. But, I have had very good results watching non-anamorphic W/S movies such as Titanic and Armageddon in interlaced mode, and then putting the TV on one of it's zoom modes (Mitsubishi calls it "Expand"). Looks almost as good as an anamorphic transfer (well, at least it's as good as it'll get until they're re-released).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.