AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I asked my friend this the other day and he told me Terminator when Arnie dies made him ball his eyes out.

Well I'm a sucker and Spiderman got to me because it was so awesome.

Besides that A League of their Own had my tears a weaping pretty hard the first time I saw it on DVD.

I also was suckered by Titanic and a few more I cannot remember.

Oh and Monty Python and the Holy Grail had my eyes watering from shear laughter :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
A.I.

definitely.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Damn, I cry at the drop of a hat. A few examples:

- the part where the emperor and the crowd bowed before Mulan in the Disney cartoon

- the reuniting of the mother with the kidnapped child in Michael Hui's The Chocolate Inspector

- Rose letting Jack go in Titanic

- Ray finding out who "he" is in Field of Dreams

Hank527 said:
Quote:
Well I asked my friend this the other day and he told me Terminator when Arnie dies made him ball his eyes out.
Are you talking about the original Terminator or the sequel? I can see someone crying over Arnie's demise in Judgment Day, but crying over the destruction of the endoskeleton in the first movie is ... well ... a bit odd, even by my standards. :p

·
Registered
326 Posts
AI definitely nailed me too.

There are far too many to name.... but in recent memory... there's AI (the abandonment), Harry Potter (happy-cry at finale), & Hardball (G-Baby :().

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm talking about T2.

To add to my list Braveheart made me cry then cry again. The "Freedom" line got me and continues to give me goosebumps.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Rudy

At the end of the movie when the crowd is chanting "Rudy, Rudy, Rudy" and then he makes the tackle and his teammates carry him off the field.

I'm getting the sniffles now just thinking about it.

Snif snif.

·
Registered
568 Posts
ronbaker,

definately agree on the joy luck club.. the whole movie is just depressing!

Still, one of my favorites! Amazon says it's coming out June 4th on dvd.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hank527
Oh and Monty Python and the Holy Grail had my eyes watering from shear laughter
The first ten minutes of Scary Movie 2 had a similar effect on me.

--Jerome

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Definitely "The Joy Luck Club". "Xiu Xiu" is a good one for that. "The Sweet Hereafter" has some good scenes, particularly the one where the father identifies his two children then has the flashback as he stumbles back up the hill, and the monologue on the plane. "The Red Violin" has some good emotional scenes. "Philidelphia" is tremendously emotional.

I'm sure that there are hundreds that I'm leaving out, becaues I'm drawing a blank at this point.

The part of AI that got me was the nursemaid robot for some reason.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Life As A House

Sound Of Music - Captain VonTrapp hears his kids sing for the first time)

Table For Five - breaking the news to kids

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Im not really an emotional guy when it comes to movies but Frequency hit some emotions during the final few minutes of the movie and the garth brooks song was a perfect ending song.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Tops on my list, without a doubt, is The Joy Luck Club. Ebert billed it as a "four-hanky movie" and he was aboslutely right. It's the only movie I've ever been to where you could hear audience members all around you sobbing. My faucets are already open during the initial voice-over as the feather is being drawn (beautiful effect, by the way). I've been waiting for this to come out on DVD for such a long time, finally the day is nearly at hand...

And I can't forget Dr. Zhivago, the very first movie to make me cry so many years ago. The scene where Laura leaves the ice palace and Yuri rushes upstairs so he can see the receeding dot of the sleigh for just a few more moments really gets to me.

Mulan is on my list too. That scene on the Emperor's steps where she turns around to see untold thousands of people bowing to honour her was the most powerful moment I've seen in any animated film.

And although it's not a mainstream movie, in a very special place in my heart is the Japanese drama series Beautiful Life, a story about the Kyoko the wheelchair-bound librarian and the Shuuji the hairdresser. I love the Japanese "renzoku dorama" format, a mini-series-like format which (unlike series TV) allows anything to happen and (unlike a relatively shorter movie) gives you a chance to really get to know the characters. This series was 12 hours where the tender feelings started slowly and then just kept building and building to a truely heart-rending finale. I cried pretty much through the entire final episode, particularly at the point where Kyoko's mother brings her shoes in to her...

Gee guys, what have you done to me? My wife just asked me why I was crying...

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Oh, and put Ghandi, Leaving Las Vegas, and Deep Impact on my list as well, which now leaves 997 that I'm probably forgetting. One really brutal one was an HBO film, with Ben Kingsley, called "The Simon Wiesenthal Story", about the guy who spent his live hunting down ex-Nazi war criminals. There are some parts in there that physically hurt.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Dogfood is stoic; downright frigid, actually, but he is powerless before

City Lights The ending

The rest give varying degrees of eye-moistening and sniffling

Fearless The plane crash

Great Expectations (the Lean one) Pip telling the dying Magwitch that he loves his daughter

King Kong The Empire State Building

Mighty Joe Young The orphanage fire

Lassie Come Home The death of Edmund Gwynn's little dog

Old Yeller the title character's death

AI The abandonment and the whole flesh fair sequence

Dark Victory Bette's Walk upstairs

Now Voyager Bette phones for Paul Henried's little girl

Sahara Rex Ingram gets the German

Scrooged Cross' speech on the set

Pinocchio Right before the Blue Fairy re-appears

Muriel's Wedding The Taxi ride at film's end, set to Abba's Dancing Queen

The Neverending Story The Childlike Empress shouting to Bastien "What's my name?", and the final shot

Letter from an Unknown Woman At the end, when Louis Jourdan asks his mute servant if he remembered who Joan Fontaine was (he did)

Since You Went Away Robert Walker's death, and Jennifer, and Monty; the phone call at film's end

An American in Paris Leslie's return at film's end

Quo Vadis Max Baer saves Deborah Kerr from the bull, Peter Ustinov gives the thumbs down, and the result

The Last Waltz Joni Mitchell singing Coyote

The Time Machine Filby says goodnight to Mrs Watchett and the lights go out one by one (echoed at the end of AI)

Got a little misty just thinking about some of these

·
Registered
912 Posts
I probably won't watch Saving Private Ryan or It's A Beautiful Life ever again. They are simply too much to take when you understand the subject matter.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.