AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using Zoom Player on my HTPC for DVD playback and currently have two MPEG2 codecs: one from PowerDVD (cyber..something) and one from WinDVD (Inter..something)


Here's the problem: if I play the DVD through either of those players - it plays fine, but I cannot use FFDShow, so it doesn't look as good :(


Now, if use ZoomPlayer,

with PowerDVD codec image jitters (lags) every couple of seconds

with WinDVD codec the video often gets stuck (sound continues).

If you stop and hit play (resume) it will continue going.

Same thing happens with menus. It's pretty annoying.


So my question to you is:

What kind of MPEG2 codec do you use?

Have you experienced any problems like I described?

Maybe you know the solution? :cool:


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
Forget about them too.


Give the new DScaler MPEG2 decoder a try..... see the on the first page.


I was using WinDVD for DVD and this is noticably better. It is "alpha" so has a few little niggles but is certainly usable.


Also was using Elecard (better than WinDVD) for DTV capture playback, again DScaler is better.


Great filter......... and can't argue with the price :) hehe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
NVDVD 4.0 with VPP and ffdshow. (Plz don't ask how to set up. Search for info since this has been addressed and documented many times over).


Dscaler codecs are good and promising but is a work in progress and have issues. Those issues are known and given by the developer himself, so use with that in mind with the understanding that your mileage may vary.


DFA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THanks.

I just downloaded DScaler 5 MPEG-2 decoder, but how to I select it in Zoom Player???


It's not in the list of available decoders.

Am I missing something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EuG00
THanks.

I just downloaded DScaler 5 MPEG-2 decoder, but how to I select it in Zoom Player???


It's not in the list of available decoders.

Am I missing something?
-- Update Zoomplayer to 4.03 or higher and it will be there ;) .


-------- Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,079 Posts
Go with Dscaler, but your problem with Windvd decoders is easily fixed.


You have to enable the Abstract_DMO filter in zoomplayer, and set it to run above ffdshow in the addition filters list. Then edit the registry so Posterization=0 to set it to do nothing. This will fix the freezing bug.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,088 Posts
I've often tried the decoder of the day, but always end back to the Sonic decoder with FFDshow. It just works well together, and gives a great image.


I'm watching on a 100" screen too and its the one. FFDshow settings are the key to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JackLT
I've often tried the decoder of the day, but always end back to the Sonic decoder with FFDshow. It just works well together, and gives a great image.
The Sonic decoder is known to be one of the worst when used with ffdshow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
I'm in the same boat as JackLT (except my viewing screen is half as large.) I keep going back to Sonic. Dscalar is looking nice but the video sometimes freezes when I skip chapters. I haven't tried any of the new NDVD codecs yet.
Quote:
The Sonic decoder is known to be one of the worst when used with ffdshow.
I don't know who's system this is "known" to be the case on, but it is not on my system.


-MR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MR
I'm in the same boat as JackLT (except my viewing screen is half as large.) I keep going back to Sonic. Dscalar is looking nice but the video sometimes freezes when I skip chapters. I haven't tried any of the new NDVD codecs yet.


I don't know who's system this is "known" to be the case on, but it is not on my system.


-MR
On my system using a Radeon 9700 Pro card the image is more grainy with the Sonic decoder than with other decoders I have tried. Dscaler, NVDVD, Elecard and WinDVD all gives me better PQ when used with ffdshow. Many people have reported similar findings in the ffdshow faq thread. Maybe they work better with your GPU.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top