AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate a quick listing of available multichannel SACD players. I've already ordered a Kenwood Sovereign 400+3 changer, which does DVD-A, and I'd like to get an SACD player as well. I would be interested in a megachanger that does multichannel SACD, but I haven't heard of one yet. I would want to pay $300 - $1000 for a single play or 3-5 disk changer.

Craig

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Sony's got the 222ES, 333ES (discontinued I think), and the 555ES. All 5 disc changers, I think. The 333ES is going for $399 at Good Guys. I think the major difference is that the 222 and 555 have bass management. Not sure on that but as far as I can tell thats the major difference.

I'm going to start playing with the 333 I just picked up this weekend. Anybody know where I could pick up some SACD's in the Bay Area?

Andy

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Sony also has the SCD-CE775, and the DVD-NS900P.

Philips has the SACD-1000, and Sharp will be coming out with a multi-channel player as well.

Both Sony's I listed above are well within budget, the Philips and Sharp, not exactly!

Regards,

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The 333ES isn't a mutli channel player....two channel only.

- Chip

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I shyed away from mentioning a few (The Marantz and XA-777ES) that are approximately 3x stated budget of 1K ;-)

Regards,

·
Registered
227 Posts
Don't forget about the flagship mc SACD player, Philips SACD1000, and the Marantz SA-12.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bkwong73
Hi All,

I would recommend the new highend Sony XA-777es multichannel Sacd player.
That's a good one. And you can get a Sony XA777ES from Oade Brothers for $2,000 (list price is $3,000).

On the other end of the price scale, I understand that Oade is selling the new Sony DVP-NS500V SACD/DVD player for $250 and the Philips SACD-1000 which lists for $2,000 at $1,450.

So, some good choices out there for a Multichannel SACD player.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well since getting into audio systems as a hobby, I've discovered there is a great sonic difference not only between disc machines of different price catagories, but between disc machines in the same price range. Even modifying my disc player with higher quality capacitors and resistors had a great effect on the sound quality. But this depends on your system as well as your ears. If you're using a bose system, the 777 might be overkill.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
With the Bose system, anything is overkill ;)

One of the good things about the improvements in technology, is that the sonic performance of a boutique player of 3-4 years ago is now at the entry level. Meanwhile the boutique players of today sound even better....

So, there really is some trickle down....

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
John, would you please confirm that there are significant differences that you can hear between low end and high end SACD players? I trust your opinion.

My speakers are Revel Studios and Voice with Performa surrounds, rears, and subwoofer, but they will not be hooked up until my home theater is finished in a couple of months, so I'll probably have to rely on advice. Very unlikely that I'd be able to get a dealer to A/B multiple players through identical speakers and electronics.

Craig

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
cwilson,

I've only heard the high end beasts, Sony 9000, SCD-1, SCD-777, Sharp DX-SX1, Marantz SA-1, Philips SACD1000.

I've not had the opportunity to hear the lower cost players yet, but not for lack of trying ;)

Regards,

·
Registered
646 Posts
I just ordered a little all in one system to put in my living room (as a second system, my main system being in a dedicated room in the basement of the house). This system, the Sony DAV S800 is compatible with CD, DVD-V and SACD multichannel.

But as a matter of fact, SACD was not the purchasing trigger, I will just happen to increase the SACD statistic but I merely want to use it for CD and DVD. I do not even plan to purchase any SACD disc at this time (I don't not find the music I like on SACD) and I am not interested in multichannel music...

Although I have interest in high rez 2 channel formats, I am very skeptical with the current evolution of both SACD and DVD-A. At the moment I do not plan any investment in these technologies for my main system.

If only they could have agreed on one single format. With a bit of luck now none will succeed. I am afraid the same already happened when Philips and Sony decided to go their own way with other technologies.

Michel

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Michel,

I agree with the tenor of your post. Certainly the fractionalization of the two camps (DVD-A vs SACD) will help neither side.

But with the chips available that can decode DSD (SACD format) and PCM up to 24/192K, I wonder how long it will be before we see true "universal" players from manufacturers.

The Pioneer DV-AX10 is reputed to convert DSD to PCM and then convert them with PCM DACs. I don't know if this is true or not...

Regards,

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hi John,

We'll see :)

I think this DSD conversion back to PCM makes some sense especially for those with external DAC's based on PCM.

I must admit that I don't feel easy with DSD: why the hell introduce a totally different system when there is still plenty of room for improvement on the current one (PCM), precisely what DVD-A is trying to do. The only reason I can see is then non-technical: Philips and Sony trying to get the market back under control. Personnaly, if one of these format has to succeed, I would vote for DVD-A.

Regards,

Michel

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Michel,

The latest round of DACs from Crystal Semi, Analog Devices, Burr-Brown, Asahi Kasei etc can decode either format natively , so it's a matter of licensing fees, and willingness for both sides to grant licenses.

I want at least one to succeed, but fear that neither will.

Regards,

·
Registered
646 Posts
John,

Thanks for the info, I did not know that the newer converters could do that.

My external DAC (Chord DAC64) is implemented in programmable logic and Chord told me that it is compatible with both new format but then as there is no digital interface standardised yet (or let's say that even if they are standardised they are stucked with the copy protection issue) this is of little use at the moment.

Michel

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.