AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a very knowledgeable rep at Directv this morning and he was discussing current and future hardware technologies. He also mentioned that in addition to adding locals in HD, they would have 30-50 new national HD stations by November. He wouldn't tell me what they were since they haven't been published.

Does anyone know which stations he is talking about? I haven't seen a list of new stations and was very curious to see if they were serious about enhancing their HD lineup.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
lying out of his ass.... there arent even that many HD channels that exist to add by nov (even with the voom 21). He was most likely talking about the top12 cities local channels.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas
I was talking to a very knowledgeable rep at Directv this morning and he was discussing current and future hardware technologies. He also mentioned that in addition to adding locals in HD, they would have 30-50 new national HD stations by November. He wouldn't tell me what they were since they haven't been published.

Does anyone know which stations he is talking about? I haven't seen a list of new stations and was very curious to see if they were serious about enhancing their HD lineup.
I would follow up here after you have been told something like that before I believe what a CSR tells me

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
Of course DirecTV is serious about enhancing its HD lineup.

The question simply is when and how it will get it done.

Adding 50 national HD channels this year obviously isn't going to happen -- even if all the VOOM channels (and the myriad RSNs offering at least some HD content) were somehow added -- there simply aren't 50 national HD channels to provide.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's exactly why I asked. He was specific that it wasn't the locals that he was talking about, but I couldn't think of more than a couple of stations they could even be considering at this point.

Oh well, just gives me another excuse to give them a hard time.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Quote:
That's exactly why I asked. He was specific that it wasn't the locals that he was talking about, but I couldn't think of more than a couple of stations they could even be considering at this point.

Oh well, just gives me another excuse to give them a hard time.
Its intersting that you we're told that NGiovas! Over on the Tivo forum a few people were told the same thing! I was told 20 to 30 HD channels, however, I have learned not to take the word of D* CSR's as trustworthy! ;)

·
Registered
14,447 Posts
Quote:
He was specific that it wasn't the locals that he was talking about, but I couldn't think of more than a couple of stations they could even be considering at this point.
Why does everyone think that only non News Corp property will be in HD on D*? You need to be thinking out of the box here. D* has access to 80 years of 20th Century-FOX content, as well as world wide content from other News Corp properties.

If Voom could "create" 39 HD channels, why don't you guys think that D* couldn't create 50 channels? News Corp has MUCH more content they already own available to them than Cablevision ever did for Voom.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng
Why does everyone think that only non News Corp property will be in HD on D*? You need to be thinking out of the box here. D* has access to 80 years of 20th Century-FOX content, as well as world wide content from other News Corp properties.

If Voom could "create" 39 HD channels, why don't you guys think that D* couldn't create 50 channels? News Corp has MUCH more content they already own available to them than Cablevision ever did for Voom.
Universal has just as much content (if not more) to go from as Fox does.... yet they cant even handle one channel. Theres alot more that goes into it than just "having access" to the content.

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
NewsCorp (and 20th TV or Fox or some other subsidiary) may own some of the content, maybe even much of it, but then again they have leased w whole lot of it to broadcast networks, broadcast stations, cable networks and others. So a a large percentage of it is not really available for D* to use at the moment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.