AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty happy about all the New paranormal/alien shows coming on, which one's will be the same calibur of the X-Files I don't know but I'll give them a fair shake.

So what NEW shows are you looking foward to seeing this fall and why???

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Nothing looks very interesting to me at the moment, although I will be DVRing a lot of pilots just to give them a shot. The only thing I'm truly looking forward to is the new season of 24 in January, other than that it's all about the football!

·
Registered
581 Posts
The Night Stalker looks decent but outside of that television has become(to quote John Belushi) " A lava lamp with sound."

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I am also looking forward to the Big 3's "alien invasion" trilogy: Invasion on ABC, Surface on NBC and Threshold on CBS. I'm also looking forward to Bones on Fox. I like NBC's Medium, but I'm not expecting much from CBS's rip-off The Ghost Whisperer, but I'll probably watch at least the pilot anyway. And I'm sure that I'll check out Night Stalker.

In other words, I'm your basic Sci-Fi geek.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Can't wait for Lost to start up again and also hope the new NightStalker can turn into something watchable.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
just saw the ad for invasion, looks like it might be interesting. I will have to take a closer look to the rest.

For those that don't know Dr. Who is a UK sci-fi series about a guy named "the doctor" (he is from a species named "Time lords" that started in the 60's and ran up to the 90's when it was stopped. the BBC started producing the show again and in early April (or was it late March) of this year the series came back to life on the CBC (delayed around 1.5 weeks from the BBC). Saw all the episodes of the new series and can’t wait for a real new season. Since I consider the episodes shown as an appetizer, I think it just barely fits in the topic of this thread

·
Registered
28,323 Posts
There are just too many promising new shows coming this year; time for some painful triage. There are only so many hours in the day and eating, working, and sleeping have got to intrude somewhere. Out of the new "sci-fi"/supernaturals, Invasion looks like every other "He looks, acts, sounds exactly like before but is possessed by an alien" plotlines that have been done countless times before (borrrrring), but with Lost as a lead-in, will probably survive.

The one I'm looking forward to is CBS's Threshold because of the incomparable Carla Gugino. Add HBO's Rome & CYE, Showtime's Weeds, Sci-Fi's BSG, and the return of Lost, 24, Desperate Housewives (hooked and hate myself for it 'cause the show's not that good, all the hype nothwithstanding), The West Wing, and all that NFL football and that's about all the room there is. Some folks on this Forum seem like they watch every show that's on; don't know how they manage to find the time...

·
Registered
28,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy
The one I'm looking forward to is CBS's Threshold because of the incomparable Carla Gugino.
I agree on that point, and the casting of the Station Agent guy as a scientist is... intriguing, but the commercials really kind of look like crap.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy
Some folks on this Forum seem like they watch every show that's on; don't know how they manage to find the time...
One word......REPLAY:D

·
Registered
28,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mflanagan
One word......REPLAY:D
Oh, make no mistake, I use a DVR too (who doesn't these days?). But there's still only 24 hours in a day and way too many intriguing programs competing for too few free-time hours. I'm one of those folks who [secretly] doesn't really mind that television is "a vast wasteland" of tired, formulamatic police proceduals, insipid sitcoms and mind-numbing reality shows aimed at an audience with the collective intelligence of a dairy cow. Think how bad it would be if there was even more good programming available! And then there are all those movies that I thought I'd watch someday if I had the time..... LOL.

It's enough to make a geek sell off his HT equipment and get a library card. :eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
For those that don't know Dr. Who is a UK sci-fi series about a guy named "the doctor" (he is from a species named "Time lords" that started in the 60's and ran up to the 90's when it was stopped. the BBC started producing the show again and in early April (or was it late March) of this year the series came back to life on the CBC (delayed around 1.5 weeks from the BBC). Saw all the episodes of the new series and can’t wait for a real new season. Since I consider the episodes shown as an appetizer, I think it just barely fits in the topic of this thread
I liked them very much too (we were only able to get our hands on a couple of episodes in the states however).. Christopher Eccleston was awesome too.. it's ashamed that it's time for him to "regenerate" already.. The best doctor since Tom Baker IMHO !

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I think he portrayed the "goofy" character well and would not mind seeing more of him, but I was not too crazy with the "cool" look, for me the doctor needs to be just as eccentric in his clothes. I find it sad that none of the US stations has picked it up, it was PBS in the US (Montreal is near the US border so we get the US stations from Plattsburgh , Vermont and Burlington, New York) that got me hooked on this show when they had their "British night" as they called it at the time

PS for those wondering "regeneration"? When a Time Lords physical being is near death he can regenerate or in other words, new appearance and personality. On the other hand there is a limited # of regenerations --- in other words perfectly normal when a different actor plays the Doctor.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Count me in for the Night Stalker, although I'll probably be checking out all of the new sci-fi, horror, supernatural shows (with the exception of the hokey-looking Ghost Whisperer).

My two big fears about The Night Staler is that they'll change the tone of the show, or that it won't match my childhood memories of how great the original was. They've already said that they're giving Kolchak a partner, I don't think that's the right move. It sounds a little too X-Files-y.

If they just take the name and most basic premise of the series, I think I'll end up hating it as much as I dislike the new Battlestar Galactica.

Ah, but with every new fall TV season, hope springs eternal.

Scott

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I don't know how those of you with DVR's answered. Since I zip through all the commercials, I don't even know about any of the new shows yet. I'll probably start researching it in a few weeks, but as of now I couldn't name one upcoming show.

Stew

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.