AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to build my home theater up and am wondering what I should do next.

For fronts i have cerwin vega ls12's

and my center channel is a cerwin vega ve-5c

I would like to add a sub and sides and rears but not sure what receiver I should use any information would be greatly appreciated as this is my first time around the bend building my own system.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I think you summed it up.

Surround speakers are needed if you want more of the moviehouse effect.

IMO, a good powered sub is essential. Check out Emotiva.com's deals at this moment.

I don't understand your questions about a receiver. Did you buy speakers, but have not bought a receiver yet? Or are you replacing a receiver you are using now? Any receiver purchase is based on budget, which you have not mentioned

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
If you wanted to stick with CV you could use these for surrounds and rears.
http://www.a1components.com/itemdisp...spx?item=10983

They are very affordable and are in the same family as your center, and close to your mains.

You could get 1 or 2 of these for sub coverage if you want to stay with CV.
http://www.a1components.com/itemdisp...spx?item=10985

Also very cheap right now since they are discontinued. There are also other brands of subs that are very affordable.

There are many receiver options out there. We need to know how much you have to spend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info so far.

As far as receivers yes I have not purchased one as of yet and I just want to find something that will maximize the capabilities of the speakers that I have.

Talking with sales people at big box stores they want to sell me amps and a receiver and I just want to make sure that I am not being taking advantage because I don't know what I am talking about and I am not to sure they know what they are talking about.

As far as money goes I am not set on any budget but I would say that I am looking for something midrange as far as price goes.

Thanks again

·
Registered
4,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayonbreaker /forum/post/19644865

Thanks for the info so far.

As far as receivers yes I have not purchased one as of yet and I just want to find something that will maximize the capabilities of the speakers that I have.

Talking with sales people at big box stores they want to sell me amps and a receiver and I just want to make sure that I am not being taking advantage because I don't know what I am talking about and I am not to sure they know what they are talking about.

As far as money goes I am not set on any budget but I would say that I am looking for something midrange as far as price goes.

Thanks again

Well keep in mind big box store wants to sell you stuff they make the most money on. Not bad just a way of life. With these speakers i don't see the need for external amps. A receiver already includes amps for say 5 or 7 channels more than you need for now. I personally would look into a receiver with audyssey for room correction and the newest hdmi formats (1.4) and support for the new audio formats for bluray. Several brands support these things like denon, marantz and onkyo depending on model.

Daniel.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts