AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never or very rarely seen any SHARP LCD HDTV threads. IS SHARP that bad or unpopular??

SHARP always look the best to me in stores.

Is there something I should know? is SHARP frowned upon in some way by the AV community.

I know Samsung is starting to get a bad rap, and I recently was educated on the Samsung Panel lottery situation. Is there some thing like that with SHARP??

·
Registered
112 Posts
From my minimal time here Sharp's sometimes have banding issues other than that the only other info I hear is that they have the best Gaming LCDs.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
picture quality wise Sharp's tend to be good but not as good as Samsung/Sony/LG generally speaking

Sharp does constantly make TV's that are great for gaming due to low input lag, as does Panasonic.

Sony and Samsung notoriously disregard gamers needs for low input lag and make some of the worst TV's for gaming even though their Picture Quality is top notch

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
On World Market Sharp has dropped to a 5.4% Market Share 2009 but that does not include the up to 50% of glass they sell to rebadge manufacturers. Still Samsung has blown them away rising to the top Worldwide with a 23.6% Market Share. (Vizio Lovers - they are not a global player so they fall short of Samsung globally)

http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde..._than_2008.asp

·
Registered
435 Posts
Sharp used to be pretty much THE name in LCD tech with the Aquos line...

Then they got involved in price fixing a few years back. That didn't help.

There were also a few banding issues with their panels, but they've since all been fixed. I think at this point they're just working their way back into the market. By no means are they a 2nd or 3rd tier brand though.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
^^^+1 With the other mfgs. buying panels from Sharp for their top line sets this year I think Sharp is primed for a resurgence in the market place.

They were solidly number one a few years ago, then Samsung invented "dynamic contrast ratio". Since then the Samsung marketing juggernaut fueled by somewhat deceptive advertising (promotion of LED backlit sets that makes people think it's something other than an LCD with a different backlight) and heavy payments to retailers for prime display real estate has put them solidly in the number one spot.

Don't get me wrong--Samsung makes some great looking tvs but their corporate practices leave a bit to be desired.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have been using a brand new 46 inch Sharp Aquos LED/LCD for a couple weeks, getting ready to take it back. Overall it's actually very good PQ and gaming, although I did notice it has slightly dark corners (all 4).

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/18269958

On World Market Sharp has dropped to a 5.4% Market Share 2009 but that does not include the up to 50% of glass they sell to rebadge manufacturers. Still Samsung has blown them away rising to the top Worldwide with a 23.6% Market Share. (Vizio Lovers - they are not a global player so they fall short of Samsung globally)

http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde..._than_2008.asp

Market share doesn't necessarily equate to picture quality.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaDude /forum/post/18273583

I have been using a brand new 46 inch Sharp Aquos LED/LCD for a couple weeks, getting ready to take it back. Overall it's actually very good PQ and gaming, although I did notice it has slightly dark corners (all 4).

screen uniformity issues are very common with most LCD TV's due to their use of VA type LCD panels.

the only ones that will never exhibit this problem in one way or another are LCD's with IPS panels

Panasonic and LG's almost always use IPS and some other brands use IPS panels made by LG like Vizio and Toshiba but not all models do.

its easy to tell if you have a VA based panel and i'm sure you do because i've checked Sharps in a local store before

put up a black screen on the TV and tap or press lightly on the screen if you see the area around where you tap turn lighter (usually about a 2-4" radius depending on how hard you tap) its a VA panel and is susceptible to uniformity problem for what should now be an obvious reason to you

·
Registered
137 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my Aquous LC46E77UN!! I just received my 2nd replacement. The PQ is gorgeous. The support I have received from them is tremendous!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Samsung created the first gaming TV back in the mid 90's and I want to say they were the first to do a game mode on LCD/Plasma screens but I'm not sure I just remember only seeing them with that option on the TV until everyone else caught on. Just wanted to chime in that Samsungs LCDs do great with gaming if you switch it to game mode and I play fast paced games like Quake III Arena so you'd have to be very sensitive to input lag to complain about it. Also my experience with Sharps have been very good and at my workplace we actually ship quite a few out every day.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My XS1 is pretty nice on the eyes, both on and off. But I do take issue with the visible delay in dimming when a scene goes from light to dark. If the dimming algorithm was quicker at keeping pace I think that I would be pretty content with it overall, and that is saying a lot coming from me.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I at least love that Sharp makes their own panels. You know what you're getting.

Their x-gen panel is the first one that had me interested in the brand again. I'm very curious to see the performance of their new 920/820 series and their new ccfls this year.

If Sharp continues to push lcd technology forward, they'll be right up at the top again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
long read, short version: my aquos was good, support good, got a sony it had problems, sony support sucks, almost got another aquos, new sony on the way, questioning that decision still.

My new Sony is on its way but I think I might have been better going with Sharp again. I knew nothing about LCD's when I got my first Aquos, I had just been wanting a LCD to replace my CRT. Saw one at the store for a good price and it looked good so I got it. It was a 720p model that within a few weeks developed a yellow line down the middle. Emailed Aquos support and since they no longer carried the 720p model they shipped me a 1080p model and took my old one, all no charge to me.

I had heard of LCD video game lag but didnt understand it since I never saw any on my sharp. Guitar Hero has a utility to account for the lag and it always registered 0ms for me. So I always thought the LCD lag thing was a myth. Now that I'm an informed consumer and have been coming to this forum I see why I didnt see anything with the sharp. As far as PQ, I'm no expert like many on this forum but the quality worked for my family. I thought the nature shows on discovery HD looked freakin amazing.

Well one of my kids broke the display on the aquos via a flying toy. So this time around I did a ton of research, made a spreadsheet and everything. Looked like Sony was the way to go, avsforum seems to get erections over sony. The 46V5100 was in my pricerange at sears, the first night using it I had the sound cutout when using a hdmi source. Going to the V5100 thread I see its a 130 or so pages of quality issues. Sony support was useless, the first reply from them was a cut & paste where they told me to do steps that I told them I already completed. I called them out on it and they apologized and said I could bring the tv to a repair shop.

So V5100 went back, sears has a E77U for $30 less but theres a lot of bad reviews here on the sound so I didnt get it. The tv gets a lot of use has a every day family tv so I need the default sound to be worthwhile. Decided on the sony model line thats replacing the V5100, so far all the reports on it have been good. The rebadge is now called EX500, should arrive tomorrow. The LED sharp was a few hundred above my budget but very tempting to spend the 200-300 more for LED which I think looks awesome.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm on my first week with my new Sharp LC-52LE700UN LED LCD and am very pleased so far. No noticable flaws so far, to my eyes anyway. PQ is gorgeous with very good blacks. My PS3 does well with the set as does Blu-Ray. I bough it at Sears. It was all by itself placed on a divider near the cashier playing a clunky looking concert. There were tons of Sammys and Pannys on the walls with the usual eye candy being fed to them, only via a coax. (makes sense eh). I went prepped to buy either a Sammy 7000, 750, Sony XBR9 or the Sharp. I made the sales rep move a Blu-Ray from one set to the other so I could see the same source material. To MY eyes, the Sharp appealed to me the most. I can see why they don't sell well. Not overly publicized. The rep hadn't even shown me the set until I queried about it. The speakers are the only thing that suck. Yes there are better sets out there. At a price.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahlin Cho /forum/post/18284037

Samsung created the first gaming TV back in the mid 90's and I want to say they were the first to do a game mode on LCD/Plasma screens but I'm not sure I just remember only seeing them with that option on the TV until everyone else caught on. Just wanted to chime in that Samsungs LCDs do great with gaming if you switch it to game mode and I play fast paced games like Quake III Arena so you'd have to be very sensitive to input lag to complain about it. Also my experience with Sharps have been very good and at my workplace we actually ship quite a few out every day.

i'm not sure what Samsung TV's you've used for gaming but starting with 2009 model's (B series) Samsung LCD TV's went from being one of the best gaming TV's input lag wise to being the worst on average.

I used to use a 2008 model Sony 32XBR6 as my PC monitor that was better with input lag than all B series Samsung (not by much with some models but by a lot with higher end models) and i could not properly play FPS games on it due to its 45ms input lag.

I now have a Panasonic 37S1 with 10-20ms input lag and zero problems playing FPS games on it

if you've played Q3 before then i'm sure you know how your ping can easily effect your performance in game

now imagine if you had a display that had as much lag as your internet connection and the two delays stack on top of each other when your playing online to create more lag than you really should have

so say you had a decent ping of 60ms in a server if your using a samsung B series TV that has 60ms input lag as well you now effectively have 120ms ping or response time in the game. this matters a ton and serious Q3 players know this

plus 30-60ms is the threshold for most people to be able to actually feel input lag in controls like their mouse moving on a screen etc. and at 60+ms is also the threshold where people begin to notice lip sync problems if they route audio from an external source to another external source bypassing the TV's processing that will delay the audio to match the TV's delay

·
Registered
8 Posts
frito:

Currently I use a Samsung P2370 for the my gaming computer set up and a LNS4095D for my console gaming set up. The P2370 runs perfectly for me but I don't play competitive/tourney any like i used to about 9 years ago and the console set up was perfect after switching to game mode once my brain adjusted to the average response time of the tv. Hopefully when I get the B8500 it wont be a problem cause that would be a serious deal breaker if it's as bad as you speak of.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahlin Cho /forum/post/18297569

frito:

Currently I use a Samsung P2370 for the my gaming computer set up and a LNS4095D for my console gaming set up. The P2370 runs perfectly for me but I don't play competitive/tourney any like i used to about 9 years ago and the console set up was perfect after switching to game mode once my brain adjusted to the average response time of the tv. Hopefully when I get the B8500 it wont be a problem cause that would be a serious deal breaker if it's as bad as you speak of.

the B series from every test i've seen are super laggy, i got some lag test results in from a new owner of a C7000 edge LED TV and it appears Samsung may have corrected the problem and in the special PC mode his TV was only showing 30~ ms input lag which is good and acceptible to 95% of gamers out there today

the B8500 while i've yet to see anyone test it is likely to be like the B6/7/8000 edge LED's as well as non LED models and have anywhere from 50-70ms input lag at minimum and this will likely be a problem for you.

please though by all means even if the lag of the B8500 is not too much for you take the time to test it so we can find out how it performs and add it to the ever growing list of TV's tested for input lag in my thread linked in my signature

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a Sharp and the color went out. All I could get was a black and white picture. After trouble shooting I took the TV back and exchanged it for a Sony and I have been happy with it. This was a couple of years ago and maybe I just got unlucky with the Sharp, but my additional purchases have been other brands.

·
Registered
442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leela222 /forum/post/18283960

I absolutely LOVE my Aquous LC46E77UN!! I just received my 2nd replacement. The PQ is gorgeous. The support I have received from them is tremendous!

I was at Sears today and stopped in to look at the LCD sets. They had a 60 inch Sharp, I think it was the E77 series. Anyway, I watched it for a while palyed around with it. Really nice pq and nice price(2100 area). If I was in the market for a tv now, I would consider it, especially with the size.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts