AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
Actually, I thought this last season sucked, until the last three episodes. This was a great final episode. I loved knowing what was going to happen to all of the main characters.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I agree. The ending was great. Did you notice the dates? Claire lived till age 102. Most of the others went in their mid 70's to early 80's (if I remember correctly). Until Keith's death scene he did not seem to age much.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I thought it was a great episode and fitting ending to a somewhat rocky series. Wasn't sure how all the trainwrecks of relationships would resolve--but it really ended on a positive note (even with all of the deaths).

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB63
I agree. The ending was great. Did you notice the dates? Claire lived till age 102. Most of the others went in their mid 70's to early 80's (if I remember correctly). Until Keith's death scene he did not seem to age much.
And it's kind of sad to see where he ended up career-wise - not that there's anything wrong with that. Was that a home automation control unit in one of the futuristic death scenes? And was that kid that looked like Claire Claire's kid or Maya? I think Maya is the cutist child actor I've ever seen, and talanted too. I loved the show and especially this season (first one I saw all in HD, and no in your face overt Keith/David sex scenes.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate
And it's kind of sad to see where he ended up career-wise - not that there's anything wrong with that.
Umm, the truck said Charles Security...I don't think owning your own security company is so bad, seeing as he was in law enforcement for the early part of his life...A great ending to a great show; I'm gonna miss it....

·
Super Moderator
18,529 Posts
My favorite "death" had to be Rico's. And trying to figure out which one of Keith/David's kids was which during Claire's wedding. I'm guessing Durell had the pregnant wife and Anthony had the boyfriend. Which would put Claire's wedding at around 2015, right?

Too bad they didn't have a death for Billy. I would have imagined it came just hours after Brenda's but in front of a train or some such. All of those unusual and morbidly funny show opening deaths and not one like it at the end.

But, yeah, the show never lived up to its first season. Although, like an idiot, I kept watching and hoping it would. Excellent ending, however.

Here's hoping Lauren Ambrose's next role won't be so angst-ridden.

Doc

·
Registered
309 Posts
Did you guys catch that Billy was still talking about Claire and Ted as Brenda croaked? I didn't catch it until I turned the captions on.

I also found it interesting that one Keith and David's adopted kids ended up with a boyfriend.

Didn't catch the other one with a pregnant wife, but I will have to watch it again.

For me it was a good series end... everything finally worked out. I was a bit disappointed until the final scene where they show what happened to the rest of the characters.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
I was waiting for Rico's wife to turn up pregnant with a girl, so the whole story could be repeated all over again.

I watched the first two seasons then quit, but came back for the last season. The ending really worked for me. I'll have to go back and re watch the end scenes again with captioning on to see what I missed.

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
Great start (first season) really disappointing middle (the next almost four seasons) and a wonderful imaginative ending.

Too bad so much of the preceding four seasons was nowhere near up to that level.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I never watched the show (save 2-3 eps in prior years) until the last batch because my SO was watching...

I found the series generally pretty depressing, but I, too, enjoyed the push to the end. It annoyed me a bit that after all the tragedy, everyone seemed to die of old age but for "the black guy". But that's a minor quibble.

I think the show took itself and its import way too seriously, but it was indeed the kind of thing that only could be on HBO. Here's hoping Rome or something else down the pike is water-cooler stuff.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell
This was a great last season and great last episode. How come nobody is talking about it here?
to be honest, it got too gay for me.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetoronto
to be honest, it got too gay for me.

I tell you what, after a while, David and Keith were not a gay couple to me. They were a family. They toned down on the gay sexuality quite a bit, and seemed to focus more on the family aspect.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
On the HBO Six Feet website, they posted obituaries. Nice little touch to wrap things up.

Six Feet Obituary

I hated the way Keith died. A bit of a cliche in that he was the only major black character and the only one to die violently. It took me out of the moment but was otherwise a good ending. I don't put it up there with the Newhart or the M*A*S*H endings as have some critics. A coworker commented how unrealistic it was for someone to have a car in NYC but having Claire kind of "drive off into the sunset" was a good way to portray her journey to a new life.

YMMV

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy1376
I tell you what, after a while, David and Keith were not a gay couple to me. They were a family. They toned down on the gay sexuality quite a bit, and seemed to focus more on the family aspect.
family my arse, what a mess. :eek:

·
Registered
28,096 Posts
I imagine the first table reading for this script must have been interesting.

"OK, here's what you need to know. Everybody dies in this episode. I'm killing you all off."

·
Registered
625 Posts
I also didn't really like the way Keith died. But I'm supposing that these 'visions' were just Claire's imagniation running wild as she drove out east. I would have liked the show to run two hours long but I was happy with the few extra minutes.

It was nice to see Kieth aand David's family coming together at least. Both boys were very endearing.

As a Prius owner I was happy to see her new choice of wheels! I'm guess that by driving a new modern car that is supposed to reflect her new slightly more positive outlook on life?

I'll miss the show greatly.

·
Registered
28,338 Posts
Best thing I can say about this overhyped and overrated series: It did have one of the best theme songs/opening montages ever! Very imaginative and "ear worm-thy".

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.