AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting around to buying some decent speakers for my vinyls, music and home cinema. Have been using a friends old speakers and an upgrade will certainly be something.
Whilst the main focus is definitely music, I wanna set up surround sound for movies and TV. My main focus is therefore buying good front speakers. I quite like the sound of the Klipsch rp600m and found a good deal (but open to other suggestions). But the 600c speakers are quite bulky and would take up quite a lot of space. As my living room is quite narrow I dont want a TV stand (or a very small one). Ideally I will hang my TV on the wall.
But the conventional wisdom is that you buy the front three from the same company. Does it make a very big difference? Do you have any suggestions for slimmer and more discreet center speakers that would work well with klipsch?
I already have a ONKYO tx-nr686 receiver, my surround sounds will be old B&W 200 series speakers and my sub is a old Yamaha (will upgrade next but in a few months)
Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
21,268 Posts
I quite like the sound of the Klipsch rp600m and found a good deal (but open to other suggestions). But the 600c speakers are quite bulky and would take up quite a lot of space.
Don't get one of those super slim cutesy little center speakers with 3 or 4" woofers, you will regret it. The center does up to 80% of the HT output so it really SHOULD be your biggest and best speaker. If you absolutely cannot make a 600C work and if it's a small room and you don't sit very far away, just buy a second pair of the 600M and use one of them as the center.

You'd have the (theoretical) acoustic ideal of 3 identical front speakers, which is the ONLY way to get a real "timbre match." It would look like this:

Reactions: BryanSD

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Does it make a BIG difference?

Lets break it down a little.
1. When multi speaker use evolved timbre matching was part of the equation. The only people vocal on saying it is not important seem to be ones more influenced by thrift and using "what you got, no big deal, I can't tell the difference".

2. There are continual posts on AVS concerning center speaker audio issues. "Can't hear dialogue".

3.While we can't all agree on what is the best sounding speakers, we can all agree that speakers from different designers do sound different.

4.Once you find a sound you love, wouldn't it make sense to match that across the room?

5.Even if there are speakers that sound the same from different designers, how would we know without sampling all them? What would be the logistics to do that?

6. Someone tells you "these odd speakers match" how do you know it wasn't the room or worse, hearing issues?

7.Power handling of each speaker is as important as timbre. When you dial to reference you don't want to hear the speaker that didn't make it.

8. I'm going to say; by design, or by cost effectiveness, (both) a company is best able to make "systems of speakers" that truly match. staying within each speaker line.

9. They all are happy to tell you what their system sets are. Klipsh's web site lays it out where even your non interested mate could make the purchase!

You could get lucky, and satisfied, with a mix matched system.
Building a home theater or just a front musical sound stage
can be a long, slow, even fun (hopefully), hobby. But if you are getting everything at once, or really investing (paying) for the future, I found it a lot easier and faster to match everything. I didn't want to interrupt my movie with preoccupation of "I wonder what I am missing, got to go shopping".

·
Registered
396 Posts
Finally getting around to buying some decent speakers for my vinyls, music and home cinema. Have been using a friends old speakers and an upgrade will certainly be something.
Whilst the main focus is definitely music, I wanna set up surround sound for movies and TV. My main focus is therefore buying good front speakers. I quite like the sound of the Klipsch rp600m and found a good deal (but open to other suggestions). But the 600c speakers are quite bulky and would take up quite a lot of space. As my living room is quite narrow I dont want a TV stand (or a very small one). Ideally I will hang my TV on the wall.
But the conventional wisdom is that you buy the front three from the same company. Does it make a very big difference? Do you have any suggestions for slimmer and more discreet center speakers that would work well with klipsch?
I already have a ONKYO tx-nr686 receiver, my surround sounds will be old B&W 200 series speakers and my sub is a old Yamaha (will upgrade next but in a few months)
Any help is much appreciated!
Are you set on the Klipsch speakers in general?
What's your budget?
What is the size limit on that center?

Don't get swallowed up on the idea of a center channel. You said this is mostly for music. So the more important speakers are your left and right mains and any future sub. If this really is more about 2 channel stereo audio, put your efforts there mostly. If it were more about home theater, sure, put a lot more effort into your center. But again, keep in mind the perspective of your purpose. It's too easy to get told you need X, Y, Z which may not align with your actual goal. Be very specific about things.

Very best,

·
Registered
134 Posts
I agree the RP-600C is relatively large for many rooms you're utilizing bookshelf speakers as your main fronts. I know this is not what you asked, but I ended up picking the RP-500C to match with the RP-600M and quite happy with my choice. The RP-400C just seemed too small for my room and not the best match with the 600M. I'm setup for a 3.0 and 3.1 in the room (no side/back surround speakers).

Given that your room is narrow and thus you're likely centered in front of the screen...do you really need a center channel? Personally, I'd go with a few weeks with just the RP-600M alone before determining whether a center channel is necessary or not.

·
Registered
21,268 Posts
I didn't want to interrupt my movie with preoccupation of "I wonder what I am missing, got to go shopping".
Unless the sound you're getting is blatantly BAD (i.e. muffled dialogue, missing or distorted details) that suggests that the movie you were watching was not holding your attention sufficiently (probably a predictable Hollywood formula plot with predictable 2 dimensional characters), so maybe you try watching better movies that absorb your attention completely so that you don't go off on mental tangents? :) :) :)

·
Registered
19,718 Posts
Whilst the main focus is definitely music, I wanna set up surround sound for movies and TV. My main focus is therefore buying good front speakers. I quite like the sound of the Klipsch rp600m and found a good deal (but open to other suggestions). But the 600c speakers are quite bulky and would take up quite a lot of space.
Then look at the RP 500C center

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the comments. Very helpful!

I liked the Klipsch 600m speakers, but havent listened to many speakers to be honest. My budget is around 500 euros for the front 2, but could do a bit more (found a deal for the Klipsch for 500). Most of the reviews of the kipsch 600m are very good and I like that it adds a bit of atmosphere. Was also looking at the KEF LS50 second hand. Are there any others I should take a second look at?

I might go for the phantom center speaker option then. And if it doesnt sound good, I would be happy to spend around 300 euros or so for a center speaker. What do you think of matching the 600m with the Klipsch 34c? Would be a lot slimmer.

·
Registered
21,268 Posts
I liked the Klipsch 600m speakers, but havent listened to many speakers to be honest. My budget is around 500 euros for the front 2, but could do a bit more (found a deal for the Klipsch for 500). Most of the reviews of the kipsch 600m are very good and I like that it adds a bit of atmosphere. Was also looking at the KEF LS50 second hand. Are there any others I should take a second look at?

I might go for the phantom center speaker option then. And if it doesnt sound good, I would be happy to spend around 300 euros or so for a center speaker. What do you think of matching the 600m with the Klipsch 34c? Would be a lot slimmer.
The 34C would probably ruin your system. You might well be better off with just the 600M and no physical center, in that case.

Since you're in Germany, see if you can find any Canton Chrono speakers---they get strong positive feedback and are made in Germany so hopefully you'd be able to get a better deal on them than speakers that have to be imported from outside.

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you haven't already, toe your 600s in toward your seated position and run them in phantom. Klipsch speakers image very, very well and you'll swear there's a center speaker there.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well, if you're not going to go with the RP-504c, why aren't you just doing an RP-600M for your center?

This.....
I had to go with a 440c because of space limitations and WAF, but would have preferred the 504C. It has the 2.5 way design where the outboard woofers are crossed over at a lower frequency than the inboard pair, essentially making it a three way design.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
This.....
I had to go with a 440c because of space limitations and WAF, but would have preferred the 504C. It has the 2.5 way design where the outboard woofers are crossed over at a lower frequency than the inboard pair, essentially making it a three way design.
Hope it works well .
Could had simply raised the tv , waf isn’t a good reason that’s a very Good looking center !!!
I don’t see any comparison , I’m using a 2 way lower end Klipch icon center quad 4” may be more surface area then two 5 1/4” but I’m not sure 🤔..
5 1/4” woofers still does not take up much space .
O well if it sounds clear enough for you and not tin or thin sounding maybe it’s enough. Just not good for louder stuff .
It’s essentially a giant satellite speakers?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hope it works well .
Could had simply raised the tv , waf isn’t a good reason that’s a very Good looking center !!!
I don’t see any comparison , I’m using a 2 way lower end Klipch icon center quad 4” may be more surface area then two 5 1/4” but I’m not sure 🤔..
5 1/4” woofers still does not take up much space .
O well if it sounds clear enough for you and not tin or thin sounding maybe it’s enough. Just not good for louder stuff .
It’s essentially a giant satellite speakers?
Actually on a shelf below where the TV sits. Was a huge upgrade for me coming from a 15+ year old KLH center I was using. I don't ask "What did he say?" of my wife any more. I just needed more intelligibility from my center. Certainly not a "satellite" speaker.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Actually on a shelf below where the TV sits. Was a huge upgrade for me coming from a 15+ year old KLH center I was using. I don't ask "What did he say?" of my wife any more. I just needed more intelligibility from my center. Certainly not a "satellite" speaker.
nice 👍
Yeah I just mean satellites use around same woofer size , but four 4” gotta be way more then any satellites.
I’ve seen it before pretty large lengthwise.

·
The Village Idiot
9,653 Posts
This.....
I have the 440c also. I'm very happy with it's performance but I don't use the full 5.2.2 very often. Usually 9 channel stereo and youtube and other videos for sources, or music off the computer, FLAC and hi-res 312mbps MP3s. For a center with a 4" woofer it plays well under the standard 80hz crossover, 58hz IIRC. And I think Klipsch did something to tone down the tweeter. I don't get the ear blasts that I hear in a nephew's RF-52's. I also have the Klipsch Atmos speakers, and a pair of RP-150m's for L/R mains for multi-channel. It sounds pretty decent, but can't begin to compete with the tube amp and Song Towers.

Reactions: jmbrad
1 - 16 of 16 Posts