AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on some HT speakers for my living room and am confused. I can design cross over networks for my 8 ohm drivers to 6 ohm tweeter without issue. But when I math floor standing speakers using two drivers, I come up with a 4ohm or 16ohm load. When manufactures have, say a bookshelf model with one woofer (call it BS1) and a floor standing model (call it FS1) with two woofers that look alike, but both systems operate at 8ohms, do we assume the FS1 was created using a different driver, that looks the same, but demands 4 (or 16) ohms to end up at the same amp rating as the BS1?

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Often the same driver is available in 4ohm and 8 ohm loads. And often manufacturers will call a speaker 8ohm despite dipping as low as 3 ohms. Stereophile measurements prove this time and time again. So it could be either.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
You should not be trying to design your own speakers. If you had the necessary skills and experience you would not be asking this very basic question. There are many existing designs that are tested and proven, so save yourself a lot of work with potentially bad result and use an existing design. Here's one good source:
http://www.parts-express.com/speaker-projects

1 - 4 of 4 Posts