AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian /forum/post/20875937

Elemental Designs 190v 18".

It's sad that's included in a "high excursion" list due to a lack of options.

Side note: I've moved on from high excursion woofers (SDX-15. Still have one) to mid excursion (MFW-15. Have four), but more of them. Hopefully it reduces overall distortion. Me thinks that high excursion woofers without being designed properly like the LMS5400, will result in uncessarily high amounts of 2nd and 3rd order harmonics.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried to get in on the mach 5 pre-order for 21's, but dropped the ball. Possible (or feasible) to get same LFE (10 hz) out of multiple 15's compared to one or two 21's? Already have a pair of JBL S1 subs (18's) that will cover the remainder of the low end. Too bad Dayton doesn't make a 18 line like the 15's.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Output down low is all about displacement; Cone area multiplied by xmax. Twin 15's have about the same cone area as a 21", so if they have the same xmax, you'd need twice as many 15's as you would 21's.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber /forum/post/20876338

It's sad that's included in a "high excursion" list due to a lack of options.

Side note: I've moved on from high excursion woofers (SDX-15. Still have one) to mid excursion (MFW-15. Have four), but more of them. Hopefully it reduces overall distortion. Me thinks that high excursion woofers without being designed properly like the LMS5400, will result in uncessarily high amounts of 2nd and 3rd order harmonics.

If you want to run the subs up high then yes those air pushing design could have issues if pushed hard but I have yet to see a measurement that shows the LMS5400 match 4 Q18s (I own both designs). I get why the LMS5400 is a superior single sub (obviously) but as you posted we can limited the overall movement,lower distortion and limit any possible issues. I have also tested my two AV15X vs LMS5400 and from 30Hz to 80Hz its pretty much a tie in my books. The AV15X is better from 50Hz to 200Hz.

Thanks to Exojam giving me a link and PM and Rightbrained selling two of his AV15X I should have two more AV15X in about a week
4 AV15X + dual LMS5400s is going to be fun

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.